Oxygen dependence

mousesmom

Maybe someone could help me with this: I had my friend's child (16 yr old) staying with us for Christmas. She has recently started to use Oxygen at night & is afraid she will become too dependant on it & need it more often.

I tried to set her mind at ease because she has become really downhearted lately, since being diagnosed with Micobacter her lung function has clearly deteriorated.

She has become so negative and doesn't seem to care anymore, but I felt that if she used the oxygen when she really needs it would help her lungs rest a little, or am I wrong.

mousesmom

Maybe someone could help me with this: I had my friend's child (16 yr old) staying with us for Christmas. She has recently started to use Oxygen at night & is afraid she will become too dependant on it & need it more often.

I tried to set her mind at ease because she has become really downhearted lately, since being diagnosed with Micobacter her lung function has clearly deteriorated.

She has become so negative and doesn't seem to care anymore, but I felt that if she used the oxygen when she really needs it would help her lungs rest a little, or am I wrong.

mousesmom

mousesmom

mousesmom

<br />
<br />I tried to set her mind at ease because she has become really downhearted lately, since being diagnosed with Micobacter her lung function has clearly deteriorated.
<br />
<br />She has become so negative and doesn't seem to care anymore, but I felt that if she used the oxygen when she really needs it would help her lungs rest a little, or am I wrong.

JenDiS

when i was sick this past month my lungs were struggling so much to try n breathe that it was making me sicker so my mom asked my doctor to order some o2 for me to use to get me "over the hump". It definately worked. my lungs were able to relax and i was able to actually sleep and rest. if she has the o2 i would have her use it to help her lungs relax so she can relax a little bit. should always listen to moms!!!

also i dont feel that i became dependant. as i was able to breathe better without the o2 i stopped using it on my own...ive always wondered if it addicting too.

JenDiS

when i was sick this past month my lungs were struggling so much to try n breathe that it was making me sicker so my mom asked my doctor to order some o2 for me to use to get me "over the hump". It definately worked. my lungs were able to relax and i was able to actually sleep and rest. if she has the o2 i would have her use it to help her lungs relax so she can relax a little bit. should always listen to moms!!!

also i dont feel that i became dependant. as i was able to breathe better without the o2 i stopped using it on my own...ive always wondered if it addicting too.

JenDiS

JenDiS

JenDiS

<br />
<br />also i dont feel that i became dependant. as i was able to breathe better without the o2 i stopped using it on my own...ive always wondered if it addicting too.

Lex

Oxygen is not a drug...therefore you can't become physically dependent on it. However, I have heard of people post TX who are psychologically dependent--meaning, they don't need the O2 anymore, but they won't give it up....almost like a comfort blanket. After awhile, this goes away, however.

Lex

Oxygen is not a drug...therefore you can't become physically dependent on it. However, I have heard of people post TX who are psychologically dependent--meaning, they don't need the O2 anymore, but they won't give it up....almost like a comfort blanket. After awhile, this goes away, however.

Lex

Lex

Lex

deanna

Wow, what a great question.
I was put on o2 about 2 years ago, only at night. I was really heitant, because I did not want to become dependant on it. Then I realized it wasn't becoming dependant, it was needing it. I would feel so much better when I would give my body what it was needing. If you have c.f., your body is not able to absorb o2, so you have no choice but to supplement. It is not like, if you deprive your body of it, something is going to suddenly kick in and start working.
It is part of the disease. In fact its the opposite. If your don't feed it the o2 it needs, there is a whole chain reaction of damage that it causes to your heart and lungs and other organs. o2 is a necessity for our bodies to function on every level.
I have since been on o2 full time, and do understand how hard it is to accept, but there will come a time when it is not an option, and they will realize how much better they feel.
Good luck, maybe the doc can explain better what happens when your deprive your body of o2.That is what worked for me.

deanna

I was put on o2 about 2 years ago, only at night. I was really heitant, because I did not want to become dependant on it. Then I realized it wasn't becoming dependant, it was needing it. I would feel so much better when I would give my body what it was needing. If you have c.f., your body is not able to absorb o2, so you have no choice but to supplement. It is not like, if you deprive your body of it, something is going to suddenly kick in and start working.
It is part of the disease. In fact its the opposite. If your don't feed it the o2 it needs, there is a whole chain reaction of damage that it causes to your heart and lungs and other organs. o2 is a necessity for our bodies to function on every level.
I have since been on o2 full time, and do understand how hard it is to accept, but there will come a time when it is not an option, and they will realize how much better they feel.
Good luck, maybe the doc can explain better what happens when your deprive your body of o2.That is what worked for me.

deanna

deanna

deanna

<br />I was put on o2 about 2 years ago, only at night. I was really heitant, because I did not want to become dependant on it. Then I realized it wasn't becoming dependant, it was needing it. I would feel so much better when I would give my body what it was needing. If you have c.f., your body is not able to absorb o2, so you have no choice but to supplement. It is not like, if you deprive your body of it, something is going to suddenly kick in and start working.
<br /> It is part of the disease. In fact its the opposite. If your don't feed it the o2 it needs, there is a whole chain reaction of damage that it causes to your heart and lungs and other organs. o2 is a necessity for our bodies to function on every level.
<br /> I have since been on o2 full time, and do understand how hard it is to accept, but there will come a time when it is not an option, and they will realize how much better they feel.
<br /> Good luck, maybe the doc can explain better what happens when your deprive your body of o2.That is what worked for me.