Pain in the middle of my back

thelizardqueen

So I'm hoping someone may be able to shed some light on a problem I am having. This afternoon I started to get a pain in around the middle of my back on the right side. It hurts when I cough, it hurts when I'm at rest. I'm not sure what its from, but it just seems to get worse. Its nothing that I can't deal with, but everytime I cough, I wince from the pain. I'm not sure if I've pulled a muscle coughing, or if its something in my lung? I just started Pulmozyme yesterday - today was dose #2, and I've noticed that I have been coughing a lot more, and a lot more up, but its not harsh heavy coughing. Any ideas? Could it simply be a pulled muscle from coughing, or something in my lung? Phantom pains maybe, or could it be pleursy (sp?)? Any ideas on how to alliviate the pain?

thelizardqueen

So I'm hoping someone may be able to shed some light on a problem I am having. This afternoon I started to get a pain in around the middle of my back on the right side. It hurts when I cough, it hurts when I'm at rest. I'm not sure what its from, but it just seems to get worse. Its nothing that I can't deal with, but everytime I cough, I wince from the pain. I'm not sure if I've pulled a muscle coughing, or if its something in my lung? I just started Pulmozyme yesterday - today was dose #2, and I've noticed that I have been coughing a lot more, and a lot more up, but its not harsh heavy coughing. Any ideas? Could it simply be a pulled muscle from coughing, or something in my lung? Phantom pains maybe, or could it be pleursy (sp?)? Any ideas on how to alliviate the pain?

thelizardqueen

jessy4714

Since there wasn't a specific thing you did to hurt your back and
since it also hurts at rest, it doesn't sound like a pulled muscle.
 If you were coughing really hard, you could have pulled
something, but it would most likely only hurt with movement and
coughing, not at rest.  On that note, I'm not sure what advice
to give you.  If it just randomly started and it's getting
worse, I'd see a doctor.  Hope you feel better!

jessy4714

jessy4714

JazzysMom

It could be a pulled muscle. I have an area in my mid back/spine that goes out of line. It starts with the muscles & eventually slips out of place. The difference in pain is evident. The muscles are just that....sore muscles. The misalignment is more of a twinge type pain. If heat help then I would say its most likely muscles. Hope it eases!

JazzysMom

It could be a pulled muscle. I have an area in my mid back/spine that goes out of line. It starts with the muscles & eventually slips out of place. The difference in pain is evident. The muscles are just that....sore muscles. The misalignment is more of a twinge type pain. If heat help then I would say its most likely muscles. Hope it eases!

JazzysMom

coltsfan715

Hey Liz,

My doc gave me this tip to help identify if I am having muscle pain or lung/blockage pain. If you an pinpoint an area where it hurts push down on it really hard with your finger. If you can feel the pain - he said if it hurts when you push it but for me it feels better when I push down on the areas usually - then it is most likely muscle pain.

I would venture to say that it may very well be muscle pain if it feels like a superficial pain ... if it feels more deeply rooted then it may be more.

As for getting pain when you are at rest - I was laying down last night after doing my nebs -- and coughing up a good amount of stuff with the saline (like you said not Heavy coughing but still a good amount of coughing) and I started getting muscles cramps throughout my back. It hurt to breathe and it hit seemingly out of nowhere. Luckily I had Kurt with me so he just rubbed the muscles that were hurting a bit and it took a few minutes but it did go away. Just wanted to add that because you can get muscle pain even when you are not REALLY doing anything ... you are still breathing and since our breathing CAN be somewhat labored our back/chest muscles are always working hard for the most part.

Hope it is feeling better.

If you think it may be something besides muscle pain maybe try doing your vest a little more today - that may help dislodge something if you feel the pain is being caused by a plug or something. Just a thought - it is hard to decide though because if it is muscular the extra vest and coughing will probably make it worse.

Hope you start feeling better,
Lindsey

coltsfan715

Hey Liz,

My doc gave me this tip to help identify if I am having muscle pain or lung/blockage pain. If you an pinpoint an area where it hurts push down on it really hard with your finger. If you can feel the pain - he said if it hurts when you push it but for me it feels better when I push down on the areas usually - then it is most likely muscle pain.

I would venture to say that it may very well be muscle pain if it feels like a superficial pain ... if it feels more deeply rooted then it may be more.

As for getting pain when you are at rest - I was laying down last night after doing my nebs -- and coughing up a good amount of stuff with the saline (like you said not Heavy coughing but still a good amount of coughing) and I started getting muscles cramps throughout my back. It hurt to breathe and it hit seemingly out of nowhere. Luckily I had Kurt with me so he just rubbed the muscles that were hurting a bit and it took a few minutes but it did go away. Just wanted to add that because you can get muscle pain even when you are not REALLY doing anything ... you are still breathing and since our breathing CAN be somewhat labored our back/chest muscles are always working hard for the most part.

If you think it may be something besides muscle pain maybe try doing your vest a little more today - that may help dislodge something if you feel the pain is being caused by a plug or something. Just a thought - it is hard to decide though because if it is muscular the extra vest and coughing will probably make it worse.

Lindsey

coltsfan715

Hey Liz,

Lindsey

NoExcuses

i had that once and it really freaked me out! Turend out it was a pulled muscle... I had never had one before so it felt like it was more serious.

Give it a few days... maybe apply a heat pad to see if that helps.

Hope u feel better!

NoExcuses

i had that once and it really freaked me out! Turend out it was a pulled muscle... I had never had one before so it felt like it was more serious.

Hope u feel better!

NoExcuses

Hope u feel better!

thelizardqueen

Thanks guys. Well last night I took a couple of pain relievers, and laid on a hot water bottle where the pain was, and it didn't help at all. If anything it just got worse when I coughed or took a breath, or moved even. I woke up this morning still in pain too. I'm going to do my physio again, and I think if it doesn't go away or get worse, I'm going to get it checked out. Its to the point where I can't even take a deep breath. I'm not even sure if its the muscle, because when I push on it, it really doesn't hurt at all, it almost feels like its deeper, like a rib or something, I'm not sure.

thelizardqueen

Thanks guys. Well last night I took a couple of pain relievers, and laid on a hot water bottle where the pain was, and it didn't help at all. If anything it just got worse when I coughed or took a breath, or moved even. I woke up this morning still in pain too. I'm going to do my physio again, and I think if it doesn't go away or get worse, I'm going to get it checked out. Its to the point where I can't even take a deep breath. I'm not even sure if its the muscle, because when I push on it, it really doesn't hurt at all, it almost feels like its deeper, like a rib or something, I'm not sure.