Pain killers

crystalina0814

I seriously just need to vent to other who I know will understand how I feel.

How it that the common everyday american- millions of them- can get a prescription for painkillers for everything from a backache to a simple toothache. But me, who has legitimate pain...serious pain at times, is always prescriped the same useless crap- Ibprofin?? Currently I am getting over the flu, and now add in Pleurisy. My chest hurts so bad I can hardly walk and my joints are KILLING me. Everytime I get sick, my CF related arthiritis acts up. NO fail, everytime. Every single joint in my body kills me. Ibprofin does not even touch the amount of pain I am in. When I bring this up to my doctor, she says that a lot of people with Chronic illness become addicted to painkillers- so they do not like to prescribe them. If I ask, the answer is usually no. They were even hesitant giving me a three day supply after my port surgery.

I am so frusterated.

My sister who has a self induced sexually transmitted disease has an unlimited supply written out to her name for the rest of her life for flare-ups(herpes), but me, who suffers daily with pains that the common, non-cfer, person could not begin to handle, can't even get a few day supply.

What do I do? What do your doctors do?

crystalina0814

How it that the common everyday american- millions of them- can get a prescription for painkillers for everything from a backache to a simple toothache. But me, who has legitimate pain...serious pain at times, is always prescriped the same useless crap- Ibprofin?? Currently I am getting over the flu, and now add in Pleurisy. My chest hurts so bad I can hardly walk and my joints are KILLING me. Everytime I get sick, my CF related arthiritis acts up. NO fail, everytime. Every single joint in my body kills me. Ibprofin does not even touch the amount of pain I am in. When I bring this up to my doctor, she says that a lot of people with Chronic illness become addicted to painkillers- so they do not like to prescribe them. If I ask, the answer is usually no. They were even hesitant giving me a three day supply after my port surgery.

I am so frusterated.

My sister who has a self induced sexually transmitted disease has an unlimited supply written out to her name for the rest of her life for flare-ups(herpes), but me, who suffers daily with pains that the common, non-cfer, person could not begin to handle, can't even get a few day supply.

crystalina0814

I am so frusterated.

crystalina0814

I am so frusterated.

crystalina0814

<br />
<br />How it that the common everyday american- millions of them- can get a prescription for painkillers for everything from a backache to a simple toothache. But me, who has legitimate pain...serious pain at times, is always prescriped the same useless crap- Ibprofin?? Currently I am getting over the flu, and now add in Pleurisy. My chest hurts so bad I can hardly walk and my joints are KILLING me. Everytime I get sick, my CF related arthiritis acts up. NO fail, everytime. Every single joint in my body kills me. Ibprofin does not even touch the amount of pain I am in. When I bring this up to my doctor, she says that a lot of people with Chronic illness become addicted to painkillers- so they do not like to prescribe them. If I ask, the answer is usually no. They were even hesitant giving me a three day supply after my port surgery.
<br />
<br />I am so frusterated.
<br />
<br />My sister who has a self induced sexually transmitted disease has an unlimited supply written out to her name for the rest of her life for flare-ups(herpes), but me, who suffers daily with pains that the common, non-cfer, person could not begin to handle, can't even get a few day supply.
<br />
<br />What do I do? What do your doctors do?

JazzysMom

I am sooo sorry to hear you have to suffer like this. Although I can understand their concern as a whole....unless you have given them reason to question you specifically then they are IMHO being medically negligent.

I never had an issue with my doctors & getting pain meds. For years I didnt take them & even when I finally gave in & needed them....I tried not to over use them.

They actually got upset with me because they felt if I was in pain that it would causes issues in other areas.

Is there another doctor (non CF) that you could go to to get help with the joint pain?

JazzysMom

I am sooo sorry to hear you have to suffer like this. Although I can understand their concern as a whole....unless you have given them reason to question you specifically then they are IMHO being medically negligent.

I never had an issue with my doctors & getting pain meds. For years I didnt take them & even when I finally gave in & needed them....I tried not to over use them.

They actually got upset with me because they felt if I was in pain that it would causes issues in other areas.

Is there another doctor (non CF) that you could go to to get help with the joint pain?

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />I never had an issue with my doctors & getting pain meds. For years I didnt take them & even when I finally gave in & needed them....I tried not to over use them.
<br />
<br />They actually got upset with me because they felt if I was in pain that it would causes issues in other areas.
<br />
<br />Is there another doctor (non CF) that you could go to to get help with the joint pain?

tesorotiffa

My doc has always been more than happy to give me whatever meds I needed for joint pain or muscle pain. When I'm in the hospital and have had surgery, I rarely even ask for anything because I like to try and let my body tolerate it. Her new partner however will only give me motrin, which obviously doesn't help! I don't know why some people are so stingy with meds especially since like you said there are plenty of people who get pain pills for no legitimate reason!

Nobody was ever able to actually diagnose me with arthritis, but everytime I was on antibiotics I would have days where I couldn't even move. My doc doesn't like to prescribe me Prednisone, but when I have enough pain that I call her, she will give me a taper. I found that with the joint pain, Prednisone was the only thing that would help it.

I will tell you though that with the pain meds, don't be surprised if they wear off quickly! I was always curious why no matter what the doc gave me, it would work for about an hour tops. She said that CF patients tend to metabolize pain meds really quickly. Ugh!

I hope you are able to get some relief!

tesorotiffa

My doc has always been more than happy to give me whatever meds I needed for joint pain or muscle pain. When I'm in the hospital and have had surgery, I rarely even ask for anything because I like to try and let my body tolerate it. Her new partner however will only give me motrin, which obviously doesn't help! I don't know why some people are so stingy with meds especially since like you said there are plenty of people who get pain pills for no legitimate reason!

Nobody was ever able to actually diagnose me with arthritis, but everytime I was on antibiotics I would have days where I couldn't even move. My doc doesn't like to prescribe me Prednisone, but when I have enough pain that I call her, she will give me a taper. I found that with the joint pain, Prednisone was the only thing that would help it.

I will tell you though that with the pain meds, don't be surprised if they wear off quickly! I was always curious why no matter what the doc gave me, it would work for about an hour tops. She said that CF patients tend to metabolize pain meds really quickly. Ugh!

tesorotiffa

tesorotiffa

tesorotiffa

<br />
<br />Nobody was ever able to actually diagnose me with arthritis, but everytime I was on antibiotics I would have days where I couldn't even move. My doc doesn't like to prescribe me Prednisone, but when I have enough pain that I call her, she will give me a taper. I found that with the joint pain, Prednisone was the only thing that would help it.
<br />
<br />I will tell you though that with the pain meds, don't be surprised if they wear off quickly! I was always curious why no matter what the doc gave me, it would work for about an hour tops. She said that CF patients tend to metabolize pain meds really quickly. Ugh!
<br />
<br />I hope you are able to get some relief!

crystalina0814

I understand what you mean with the try and tolerate it. I do that all the time! I think the pain is just getting at me today though...relief would be nice every now and then!

crystalina0814

I understand what you mean with the try and tolerate it. I do that all the time! I think the pain is just getting at me today though...relief would be nice every now and then!

crystalina0814

crystalina0814

crystalina0814