pain management... please help

Havoc

Narcotics are alkaloids made from opium, perhaps opioids would be a better choice of terminology since it is a more broad definition, however opiates is a valid word to describe narcotic (opiate/opioid) pain killers and their synthetic counterparts.

Havoc

Narcotics are alkaloids made from opium, perhaps opioids would be a better choice of terminology since it is a more broad definition, however opiates is a valid word to describe narcotic (opiate/opioid) pain killers and their synthetic counterparts.

Havoc

Havoc

Havoc

I think this is a very important issue for us with CF, especially as we get older. My two problems right now are actually finding a pain doc who will listen and take me seriously, and dealing with the stigmatism associated with taking pain meds.

I mentioned off the cuff to my dad that I've been taking all of ONE vicodin usually in the morning to help ease most of my joint and muscular pain. He almost flipped his lid!! It just really upsets me that people question the choices I make in order to improve my quality of life and get s*** done.

I'm not dumb, I've tried everything under the sun to deal with my pain (PT, chiropractor, massage, acupuncture, a reumetologist for cortisone injections, etc etc). I know the consequences of taking or not taking medications, and I'm sure that if I were to ever develop a dependency issue I could recognize it and get help. I'm just so frustrated with not having the tools I need or the support of those around me.

I think this is a very important issue for us with CF, especially as we get older. My two problems right now are actually finding a pain doc who will listen and take me seriously, and dealing with the stigmatism associated with taking pain meds.

I mentioned off the cuff to my dad that I've been taking all of ONE vicodin usually in the morning to help ease most of my joint and muscular pain. He almost flipped his lid!! It just really upsets me that people question the choices I make in order to improve my quality of life and get s*** done.

I'm not dumb, I've tried everything under the sun to deal with my pain (PT, chiropractor, massage, acupuncture, a reumetologist for cortisone injections, etc etc). I know the consequences of taking or not taking medications, and I'm sure that if I were to ever develop a dependency issue I could recognize it and get help. I'm just so frustrated with not having the tools I need or the support of those around me.

<br />
<br />I mentioned off the cuff to my dad that I've been taking all of ONE vicodin usually in the morning to help ease most of my joint and muscular pain. He almost flipped his lid!! It just really upsets me that people question the choices I make in order to improve my quality of life and get s*** done.
<br />
<br />I'm not dumb, I've tried everything under the sun to deal with my pain (PT, chiropractor, massage, acupuncture, a reumetologist for cortisone injections, etc etc). I know the consequences of taking or not taking medications, and I'm sure that if I were to ever develop a dependency issue I could recognize it and get help. I'm just so frustrated with not having the tools I need or the support of those around me.

kmaried

Hey guys,

I have really bad CF arthritis that flares up every few weeks or so. During flare-ups I take percocet. Usually just a half, and sometimes that in the morning gets me through the whole day. I've tried homeopathic / more natural remedies but nothing works. And I can't sit in a bathtub and be at work at the same time. Unfortunately, without the percocet, I would be out of work sick so many more days. I really struggle just walking from my car to my desk on the bad days. I should mention though, that I tolerate the percocet very well -- I don't get sleepy and I'm able to perform at work.

I really do want to know though -- what are the bad side effects from percocet? I know addiction, but I am not worried about that. I take it a few days in a row once a month or every few weeks when the arthritis flares, and have no desire whatsoever to take it in between. Only with the bad pain.

Kris

kmaried

Hey guys,

I have really bad CF arthritis that flares up every few weeks or so. During flare-ups I take percocet. Usually just a half, and sometimes that in the morning gets me through the whole day. I've tried homeopathic / more natural remedies but nothing works. And I can't sit in a bathtub and be at work at the same time. Unfortunately, without the percocet, I would be out of work sick so many more days. I really struggle just walking from my car to my desk on the bad days. I should mention though, that I tolerate the percocet very well -- I don't get sleepy and I'm able to perform at work.

I really do want to know though -- what are the bad side effects from percocet? I know addiction, but I am not worried about that. I take it a few days in a row once a month or every few weeks when the arthritis flares, and have no desire whatsoever to take it in between. Only with the bad pain.

Kris

kmaried

Hey guys,

Kris

kmaried

Hey guys,

Kris

kmaried

Hey guys,
<br />
<br />I have really bad CF arthritis that flares up every few weeks or so. During flare-ups I take percocet. Usually just a half, and sometimes that in the morning gets me through the whole day. I've tried homeopathic / more natural remedies but nothing works. And I can't sit in a bathtub and be at work at the same time. Unfortunately, without the percocet, I would be out of work sick so many more days. I really struggle just walking from my car to my desk on the bad days. I should mention though, that I tolerate the percocet very well -- I don't get sleepy and I'm able to perform at work.
<br />
<br />I really do want to know though -- what are the bad side effects from percocet? I know addiction, but I am not worried about that. I take it a few days in a row once a month or every few weeks when the arthritis flares, and have no desire whatsoever to take it in between. Only with the bad pain.
<br />
<br />Kris

MicheleGazelle

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>kmaried</b></i>

Hey guys,

Kris</end quote></div>
I don't know anything about percocet, but here's a link with some basic info (and you could easily google up a few more):
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://pain.emedtv.com/percocet/percocet-side-effects.html">Percocet Side Effects</a>

I also have a job now. With getting healthier, my joint issues have gradually improved. I have come to believe they were largely caused by infection. It was a friend with Rheumatoid Arthritis who clued me that inflammation is related to high acidity and that one way to reduce the need for anti-inflammatory drugs is to reduce acidity in the body. I also took gelatin as a supplement for a long time. I don't mean just eating a bowl of jello. I mean I took one or two packets of plain gelatin, poured the contents into a mug, added boiling hot water, stirred like crazy, then poured in a little fruit juice to cool it off enough to drink and give it some flavor. Then drank it as quickly as I could so it wouldn't turn into goo in the bottom of the mug. That helps feed cartilage. On top of that, I took a lot of herbal anti-microbials for a long time like olive leaf extract, oil of oregano and vitamins A and E.

I've been working on getting well for about 8 years and only in the last few months do my joints feel mostly okay. I did see gradual improvements before that but nothing dramatic. This is not a quick fix. It took me several years to get off the multiple anti-inflammatory drugs I used to take. I did 22 months of drug withdrawal to get of the prescription drugs I was on but then I still took over the counter drugs. I only got off advil about 18 months ago. I am down to one drug -- guaifenisen -- and I am currently tapering off of it. I hope to be off it this month but I know from experience that it could be several more months before I am really free of it. (I often wind up off a drug for a few weeks, then back on it at a lower dose for a while before I can finally get off it completely. And I can go through that process a couple of times before it's all over.)

Just thought I would toss that out there in case you might be interested.

MicheleGazelle

Hey guys,

Kris</end quote></div>
I don't know anything about percocet, but here's a link with some basic info (and you could easily google up a few more):
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://pain.emedtv.com/percocet/percocet-side-effects.html">Percocet Side Effects</a>

I also have a job now. With getting healthier, my joint issues have gradually improved. I have come to believe they were largely caused by infection. It was a friend with Rheumatoid Arthritis who clued me that inflammation is related to high acidity and that one way to reduce the need for anti-inflammatory drugs is to reduce acidity in the body. I also took gelatin as a supplement for a long time. I don't mean just eating a bowl of jello. I mean I took one or two packets of plain gelatin, poured the contents into a mug, added boiling hot water, stirred like crazy, then poured in a little fruit juice to cool it off enough to drink and give it some flavor. Then drank it as quickly as I could so it wouldn't turn into goo in the bottom of the mug. That helps feed cartilage. On top of that, I took a lot of herbal anti-microbials for a long time like olive leaf extract, oil of oregano and vitamins A and E.

I've been working on getting well for about 8 years and only in the last few months do my joints feel mostly okay. I did see gradual improvements before that but nothing dramatic. This is not a quick fix. It took me several years to get off the multiple anti-inflammatory drugs I used to take. I did 22 months of drug withdrawal to get of the prescription drugs I was on but then I still took over the counter drugs. I only got off advil about 18 months ago. I am down to one drug -- guaifenisen -- and I am currently tapering off of it. I hope to be off it this month but I know from experience that it could be several more months before I am really free of it. (I often wind up off a drug for a few weeks, then back on it at a lower dose for a while before I can finally get off it completely. And I can go through that process a couple of times before it's all over.)

MicheleGazelle

Hey guys,

Kris</end quote></div>

MicheleGazelle

Hey guys,

Kris</end quote>

MicheleGazelle

<br />
<br />Hey guys,
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />I have really bad CF arthritis that flares up every few weeks or so. During flare-ups I take percocet. Usually just a half, and sometimes that in the morning gets me through the whole day. I've tried homeopathic / more natural remedies but nothing works. And I can't sit in a bathtub and be at work at the same time. Unfortunately, without the percocet, I would be out of work sick so many more days. I really struggle just walking from my car to my desk on the bad days. I should mention though, that I tolerate the percocet very well -- I don't get sleepy and I'm able to perform at work.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />I really do want to know though -- what are the bad side effects from percocet? I know addiction, but I am not worried about that. I take it a few days in a row once a month or every few weeks when the arthritis flares, and have no desire whatsoever to take it in between. Only with the bad pain.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />Kris</end quote>
<br />I don't know anything about percocet, but here's a link with some basic info (and you could easily google up a few more):
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://pain.emedtv.com/percocet/percocet-side-effects.html">Percocet Side Effects</a>
<br />
<br />I also have a job now. With getting healthier, my joint issues have gradually improved. I have come to believe they were largely caused by infection. It was a friend with Rheumatoid Arthritis who clued me that inflammation is related to high acidity and that one way to reduce the need for anti-inflammatory drugs is to reduce acidity in the body. I also took gelatin as a supplement for a long time. I don't mean just eating a bowl of jello. I mean I took one or two packets of plain gelatin, poured the contents into a mug, added boiling hot water, stirred like crazy, then poured in a little fruit juice to cool it off enough to drink and give it some flavor. Then drank it as quickly as I could so it wouldn't turn into goo in the bottom of the mug. That helps feed cartilage. On top of that, I took a lot of herbal anti-microbials for a long time like olive leaf extract, oil of oregano and vitamins A and E.
<br />
<br />I've been working on getting well for about 8 years and only in the last few months do my joints feel mostly okay. I did see gradual improvements before that but nothing dramatic. This is not a quick fix. It took me several years to get off the multiple anti-inflammatory drugs I used to take. I did 22 months of drug withdrawal to get of the prescription drugs I was on but then I still took over the counter drugs. I only got off advil about 18 months ago. I am down to one drug -- guaifenisen -- and I am currently tapering off of it. I hope to be off it this month but I know from experience that it could be several more months before I am really free of it. (I often wind up off a drug for a few weeks, then back on it at a lower dose for a while before I can finally get off it completely. And I can go through that process a couple of times before it's all over.)
<br />
<br />Just thought I would toss that out there in case you might be interested.