Potty Training Tales

K

Keepercjr

Only have a few minutes. Have been out of town or I would have responded earlier.

Logan was potty trained a little before 3 years old and it just kind of happened. We had a little potty that was only a novelty for him for a day or so and then he lost interest in using it. I bought a potty seat for him for the toilet and when he expressed an interest in using it, we went with it. He also stopped wanting to wear a diaper. We still used a diaper for him at night for a while but then he started to wake up and tell us he needed to pee (or he would bolt upright in bed and I'd ask him - keep in mind we cosleep). Pooping was another matter altoghter. He flat out refused to poop in the potty. I kept thinking he would just decide to one day but it didn't happen. We tried EVERYTHING. bribes, telling him we had no diapers (he almost went into a panic attack w/ that one- didn't do it again), etc. So we tried the Dr. Sears method which was to make him use the bathroom to poop, while still using a diaper. Then he had to touch the potty, then he had to sit on the potty. Then we cut a hole in his diaper and that was the end of it. He didn't need diapers anymore. It took about 2 weeks to complete. Plus he got presents for each step. I know that isn't the issue you're having but thought I'd put it out there.

W/ Scarlett we're doing elimination communication and it is working well. We've had our ups and down w/ potty strikes but overall I'm SO glad we're doing it. She's almost a year so still too young to be toilet independent but I have my fingers crossed that when it is time she'll be a breeze. I would recommend EC to everyone.

K

Keepercjr

Only have a few minutes. Have been out of town or I would have responded earlier.

Logan was potty trained a little before 3 years old and it just kind of happened. We had a little potty that was only a novelty for him for a day or so and then he lost interest in using it. I bought a potty seat for him for the toilet and when he expressed an interest in using it, we went with it. He also stopped wanting to wear a diaper. We still used a diaper for him at night for a while but then he started to wake up and tell us he needed to pee (or he would bolt upright in bed and I'd ask him - keep in mind we cosleep). Pooping was another matter altoghter. He flat out refused to poop in the potty. I kept thinking he would just decide to one day but it didn't happen. We tried EVERYTHING. bribes, telling him we had no diapers (he almost went into a panic attack w/ that one- didn't do it again), etc. So we tried the Dr. Sears method which was to make him use the bathroom to poop, while still using a diaper. Then he had to touch the potty, then he had to sit on the potty. Then we cut a hole in his diaper and that was the end of it. He didn't need diapers anymore. It took about 2 weeks to complete. Plus he got presents for each step. I know that isn't the issue you're having but thought I'd put it out there.

W/ Scarlett we're doing elimination communication and it is working well. We've had our ups and down w/ potty strikes but overall I'm SO glad we're doing it. She's almost a year so still too young to be toilet independent but I have my fingers crossed that when it is time she'll be a breeze. I would recommend EC to everyone.

K

Keepercjr

K

Keepercjr

K

Keepercjr

<br />
<br />Logan was potty trained a little before 3 years old and it just kind of happened. We had a little potty that was only a novelty for him for a day or so and then he lost interest in using it. I bought a potty seat for him for the toilet and when he expressed an interest in using it, we went with it. He also stopped wanting to wear a diaper. We still used a diaper for him at night for a while but then he started to wake up and tell us he needed to pee (or he would bolt upright in bed and I'd ask him - keep in mind we cosleep). Pooping was another matter altoghter. He flat out refused to poop in the potty. I kept thinking he would just decide to one day but it didn't happen. We tried EVERYTHING. bribes, telling him we had no diapers (he almost went into a panic attack w/ that one- didn't do it again), etc. So we tried the Dr. Sears method which was to make him use the bathroom to poop, while still using a diaper. Then he had to touch the potty, then he had to sit on the potty. Then we cut a hole in his diaper and that was the end of it. He didn't need diapers anymore. It took about 2 weeks to complete. Plus he got presents for each step. I know that isn't the issue you're having but thought I'd put it out there.
<br />
<br />W/ Scarlett we're doing elimination communication and it is working well. We've had our ups and down w/ potty strikes but overall I'm SO glad we're doing it. She's almost a year so still too young to be toilet independent but I have my fingers crossed that when it is time she'll be a breeze. I would recommend EC to everyone.