Prednisone

NYCLawGirl

I think a lot of people use sulfa drugs after tx, which leads me to believe prednisone is okay with those drugs. It is true that taking prednisone (esp. at a high dose) for long periods can have very bad side effects. I think with tx they just accept that risk because prednisone is worth it.

In answer to your original question: I use prednisone "bursts" when I'm sick and have awesome results. Pred is the one thing that can get an exacerbation under control enough for me to get my life back while the abx kick in. I do find, though, that it's really only helpful at the higher doses...whenever I start to taper things go south again unless I am on good abx to really kick the infection. But it does help reduce inflammation, which is such a lifesaver in some cases.

I also think pred can raise your blood sugar, so you should definitely be aware of the risks of CFRD and other sugar-control issues. Just as an fyi.

Good luck with being listed. I hope your new lungs come soon!

NYCLawGirl

I think a lot of people use sulfa drugs after tx, which leads me to believe prednisone is okay with those drugs. It is true that taking prednisone (esp. at a high dose) for long periods can have very bad side effects. I think with tx they just accept that risk because prednisone is worth it.

In answer to your original question: I use prednisone "bursts" when I'm sick and have awesome results. Pred is the one thing that can get an exacerbation under control enough for me to get my life back while the abx kick in. I do find, though, that it's really only helpful at the higher doses...whenever I start to taper things go south again unless I am on good abx to really kick the infection. But it does help reduce inflammation, which is such a lifesaver in some cases.

I also think pred can raise your blood sugar, so you should definitely be aware of the risks of CFRD and other sugar-control issues. Just as an fyi.

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

<br />
<br />In answer to your original question: I use prednisone "bursts" when I'm sick and have awesome results. Pred is the one thing that can get an exacerbation under control enough for me to get my life back while the abx kick in. I do find, though, that it's really only helpful at the higher doses...whenever I start to taper things go south again unless I am on good abx to really kick the infection. But it does help reduce inflammation, which is such a lifesaver in some cases.
<br />
<br />I also think pred can raise your blood sugar, so you should definitely be aware of the risks of CFRD and other sugar-control issues. Just as an fyi.
<br />
<br />Good luck with being listed. I hope your new lungs come soon!

jbrandonAW

Well then if you have to be on it for life post transplant then I would say a few months prior shouldnt matter. Just watch your bone density and things - I would take some brittle bones for some new lungs any day lol.

Hope the lungs come fast!

jbrandonAW

Well then if you have to be on it for life post transplant then I would say a few months prior shouldnt matter. Just watch your bone density and things - I would take some brittle bones for some new lungs any day lol.

jbrandonAW

jbrandonAW

jbrandonAW

<br />
<br />Hope the lungs come fast!

sue35

I have been on prednisone since I was 7. I have been on varying doses ranging from 40mg everyday to my current dose of 10mg every other day. I have osteopenia but have had it for ten years and it has gotten no worse. I love prednisone. It makes me feel so much better.

I take cipro all the time when I am sick and it hasn't done anything bad for me. Really prednisone hasn't affected me negatively at all. I would recommend it. Obviously everyone reacts to it differently but it really does help with the breathing.

I remember really liking your comics. I am so sorry that things have gone down hill for you. I will be praying for new lungs for you!

sue35

I have been on prednisone since I was 7. I have been on varying doses ranging from 40mg everyday to my current dose of 10mg every other day. I have osteopenia but have had it for ten years and it has gotten no worse. I love prednisone. It makes me feel so much better.

I take cipro all the time when I am sick and it hasn't done anything bad for me. Really prednisone hasn't affected me negatively at all. I would recommend it. Obviously everyone reacts to it differently but it really does help with the breathing.

I remember really liking your comics. I am so sorry that things have gone down hill for you. I will be praying for new lungs for you!

sue35

sue35

sue35

<br />
<br />I take cipro all the time when I am sick and it hasn't done anything bad for me. Really prednisone hasn't affected me negatively at all. I would recommend it. Obviously everyone reacts to it differently but it really does help with the breathing.
<br />
<br />I remember really liking your comics. I am so sorry that things have gone down hill for you. I will be praying for new lungs for you!