Prednisone

Marjolein

I see this is an old post but I wanted to comment and tell my little story about prednisolon.

I'm now on it permanently because I've had my transplant and it is used to supress the immune system.

However my CF doctor was very reluctant to put me on prednisolon before my transplant. I was very poorly and she was scared the pred would give me that little bit more energy that would make me do too much. And with doing too much I would make my body more tired and make it even more difficult to fight the infections. She put me on a 10 day course of pred twice in the six months prior to transplant. And she had me make sure I took the rest I needed, even if I felt like it didn't need it. She said I did, but that the prednisolon disguised it a bit.

Just my two cents..

Marjolein

I see this is an old post but I wanted to comment and tell my little story about prednisolon.

I'm now on it permanently because I've had my transplant and it is used to supress the immune system.

However my CF doctor was very reluctant to put me on prednisolon before my transplant. I was very poorly and she was scared the pred would give me that little bit more energy that would make me do too much. And with doing too much I would make my body more tired and make it even more difficult to fight the infections. She put me on a 10 day course of pred twice in the six months prior to transplant. And she had me make sure I took the rest I needed, even if I felt like it didn't need it. She said I did, but that the prednisolon disguised it a bit.

Just my two cents..

Marjolein

Just my two cents..

Marjolein

Just my two cents..

Marjolein

<br />
<br />I'm now on it permanently because I've had my transplant and it is used to supress the immune system.
<br />
<br />However my CF doctor was very reluctant to put me on prednisolon before my transplant. I was very poorly and she was scared the pred would give me that little bit more energy that would make me do too much. And with doing too much I would make my body more tired and make it even more difficult to fight the infections. She put me on a 10 day course of pred twice in the six months prior to transplant. And she had me make sure I took the rest I needed, even if I felt like it didn't need it. She said I did, but that the prednisolon disguised it a bit.
<br />
<br />Just my two cents..

JennifersHope

This is a topic near to my heart, so near it is constantly grinding me....I have been on Prednisone in some form for six years now non stop... I have addison's disease along with CF.

Without a question of a doubt, 100 percent for sure being on prednisone has kept my FEV1s way up there most of the time, helps me to breath better and have more energy

Now for the negative... I have no choice I have to take the prednisone or I will die because I have no adrenal function at all.. so when I am sick or under stress just like normal functioning adrenal glands would secrete extra steroids.. I have to take some. Steroids mask infection as well, I have had so many infections over the years that I didn't know I had until they has gotten so bad, one time my intestines burst and I didn't even know I had an infection until they actually burst.. Having infection masked is very dangerous and I am constantly having to be on the look out for signs

Being that I have CF, I am constantly on stress doses of steroids, I have a huge moonface, I Have gained a lot of weight, I am overwieght, I never ever feel full no matter how much I eat.. my bones are thin, I have cataracts, I have to watch my sugar, too high of dose of steroids and I have to take insulin. my belly is swollen and my joints ache all the time.

The emotional side is, worse then the physical for me. IF I don't have a high enough dose of steroids I feel like a zombie, I am sad, I get moody, and I cry,...If I am on to high of a dose of steroids I am not able to sleep, I am anxious borderline obnoxious to be around. I am jumpy moody and I take everything the wrong way.

Weaning off the steroids, I get dizzy if I wean down to slow, I get extremly exhausted and feel like crap until I am back down to my base dose of 30 mgs a day.. then I am okay till the next round a few weeks later.

That is as honest as I can be about steroids.. I do think they help for a short term burst.. less then 7 days.. anything more then that and you are going to have to wean yourself from them and it isn't worth it... and i Know this was posted a long time ago but.. I needed to talk about it anyway becasue I am withdrawling from steroids now and I am hating life.

JennifersHope

This is a topic near to my heart, so near it is constantly grinding me....I have been on Prednisone in some form for six years now non stop... I have addison's disease along with CF.

Without a question of a doubt, 100 percent for sure being on prednisone has kept my FEV1s way up there most of the time, helps me to breath better and have more energy

Now for the negative... I have no choice I have to take the prednisone or I will die because I have no adrenal function at all.. so when I am sick or under stress just like normal functioning adrenal glands would secrete extra steroids.. I have to take some. Steroids mask infection as well, I have had so many infections over the years that I didn't know I had until they has gotten so bad, one time my intestines burst and I didn't even know I had an infection until they actually burst.. Having infection masked is very dangerous and I am constantly having to be on the look out for signs

Being that I have CF, I am constantly on stress doses of steroids, I have a huge moonface, I Have gained a lot of weight, I am overwieght, I never ever feel full no matter how much I eat.. my bones are thin, I have cataracts, I have to watch my sugar, too high of dose of steroids and I have to take insulin. my belly is swollen and my joints ache all the time.

The emotional side is, worse then the physical for me. IF I don't have a high enough dose of steroids I feel like a zombie, I am sad, I get moody, and I cry,...If I am on to high of a dose of steroids I am not able to sleep, I am anxious borderline obnoxious to be around. I am jumpy moody and I take everything the wrong way.

Weaning off the steroids, I get dizzy if I wean down to slow, I get extremly exhausted and feel like crap until I am back down to my base dose of 30 mgs a day.. then I am okay till the next round a few weeks later.

That is as honest as I can be about steroids.. I do think they help for a short term burst.. less then 7 days.. anything more then that and you are going to have to wean yourself from them and it isn't worth it... and i Know this was posted a long time ago but.. I needed to talk about it anyway becasue I am withdrawling from steroids now and I am hating life.

JennifersHope

JennifersHope

JennifersHope

<br />
<br />Without a question of a doubt, 100 percent for sure being on prednisone has kept my FEV1s way up there most of the time, helps me to breath better and have more energy
<br />
<br />Now for the negative... I have no choice I have to take the prednisone or I will die because I have no adrenal function at all.. so when I am sick or under stress just like normal functioning adrenal glands would secrete extra steroids.. I have to take some. Steroids mask infection as well, I have had so many infections over the years that I didn't know I had until they has gotten so bad, one time my intestines burst and I didn't even know I had an infection until they actually burst.. Having infection masked is very dangerous and I am constantly having to be on the look out for signs
<br />
<br />Being that I have CF, I am constantly on stress doses of steroids, I have a huge moonface, I Have gained a lot of weight, I am overwieght, I never ever feel full no matter how much I eat.. my bones are thin, I have cataracts, I have to watch my sugar, too high of dose of steroids and I have to take insulin. my belly is swollen and my joints ache all the time.
<br />
<br />The emotional side is, worse then the physical for me. IF I don't have a high enough dose of steroids I feel like a zombie, I am sad, I get moody, and I cry,...If I am on to high of a dose of steroids I am not able to sleep, I am anxious borderline obnoxious to be around. I am jumpy moody and I take everything the wrong way.
<br />
<br />Weaning off the steroids, I get dizzy if I wean down to slow, I get extremly exhausted and feel like crap until I am back down to my base dose of 30 mgs a day.. then I am okay till the next round a few weeks later.
<br />
<br />That is as honest as I can be about steroids.. I do think they help for a short term burst.. less then 7 days.. anything more then that and you are going to have to wean yourself from them and it isn't worth it... and i Know this was posted a long time ago but.. I needed to talk about it anyway becasue I am withdrawling from steroids now and I am hating life.

MicheleGazelle

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>JennifersHope</b></i>
I needed to talk about it anyway becasue I am withdrawling from steroids now and I am hating life.</end quote></div>

I have gotten off about 8 or so prescription drugs and then got off OTC drugs. Withdrawal is horrible and withdrawing from steroids is the worst. Maybe this page will help you get through it a little easier:
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://healthgazelle.org/withdrawal.shtml">http://healthgazelle.org/withdrawal.shtml</a>

Take care.

MicheleGazelle

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>JennifersHope</b></i>
I needed to talk about it anyway becasue I am withdrawling from steroids now and I am hating life.</end quote></div>

I have gotten off about 8 or so prescription drugs and then got off OTC drugs. Withdrawal is horrible and withdrawing from steroids is the worst. Maybe this page will help you get through it a little easier:
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://healthgazelle.org/withdrawal.shtml">http://healthgazelle.org/withdrawal.shtml</a>

Take care.

MicheleGazelle

Take care.

MicheleGazelle

I needed to talk about it anyway becasue I am withdrawling from steroids now and I am hating life.</end quote>

Take care.

MicheleGazelle

<br />I needed to talk about it anyway becasue I am withdrawling from steroids now and I am hating life.</end quote>
<br />
<br />I have gotten off about 8 or so prescription drugs and then got off OTC drugs. Withdrawal is horrible and withdrawing from steroids is the worst. Maybe this page will help you get through it a little easier:
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://healthgazelle.org/withdrawal.shtml">http://healthgazelle.org/withdrawal.shtml</a>
<br />
<br />Take care.