Prednisone

MicheleGazelle

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Hermit</b></i>

My question is: I think I want to go on prednisone because I can't take any anti-inflammatories like ibuprofin or aspirin, and I want to be able to cut down on my use of tylenol and occasionally morphine. I think that while I"m waiting for my transplant it might be useful for me, as I am worried about my rate of decline and how hard it is for me to do anything, despite a huge amount of effort being put out on my part. I've heard it helps your appetite and cuts pain caused by inflammation, and these are two of my biggest issues.

Are any of you on pred? What do you think of it? Why did you get it prescribed?

</end quote></div>

As an alternate suggestion: I have worked on getting excess acidity under control. It has helped me get off 5 anti-inflammatories, one of which was a steroid. I've taken at least three different steroids over the years, including prednisone. I hated them all.

Good luck with this.

EDIT:
Oops. I didn't realize how old this thread was when I replied. <sheepish grin>

MicheleGazelle

My question is: I think I want to go on prednisone because I can't take any anti-inflammatories like ibuprofin or aspirin, and I want to be able to cut down on my use of tylenol and occasionally morphine. I think that while I"m waiting for my transplant it might be useful for me, as I am worried about my rate of decline and how hard it is for me to do anything, despite a huge amount of effort being put out on my part. I've heard it helps your appetite and cuts pain caused by inflammation, and these are two of my biggest issues.

</end quote></div>

As an alternate suggestion: I have worked on getting excess acidity under control. It has helped me get off 5 anti-inflammatories, one of which was a steroid. I've taken at least three different steroids over the years, including prednisone. I hated them all.

Good luck with this.

EDIT:

MicheleGazelle

</end quote></div>

Good luck with this.

EDIT:

MicheleGazelle

</end quote>

Good luck with this.

EDIT:

MicheleGazelle

<br />
<br />My question is: I think I want to go on prednisone because I can't take any anti-inflammatories like ibuprofin or aspirin, and I want to be able to cut down on my use of tylenol and occasionally morphine. I think that while I"m waiting for my transplant it might be useful for me, as I am worried about my rate of decline and how hard it is for me to do anything, despite a huge amount of effort being put out on my part. I've heard it helps your appetite and cuts pain caused by inflammation, and these are two of my biggest issues.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />Are any of you on pred? What do you think of it? Why did you get it prescribed?
<br />
<br /></end quote>
<br />
<br />As an alternate suggestion: I have worked on getting excess acidity under control. It has helped me get off 5 anti-inflammatories, one of which was a steroid. I've taken at least three different steroids over the years, including prednisone. I hated them all.
<br />
<br />Good luck with this.
<br />
<br />
<br />EDIT:
<br />Oops. I didn't realize how old this thread was when I replied. <sheepish grin>

Nightwriter

I guess I'm wondering why you want to be on prednisone. Reading your post, are you saying you want to take it for pain control? You mentioned that this would help you cut down on Tylenol and Morphine. Inflammation is causing what kind of pain?

Short term cortisteroids are very useful in reducing inflammation. But as mentioned by someone else, it does depress the immune system, so if you have a bug like a pseudomonas, it will increase in number and put you at greater risk for infection. And I'm sure you want to be in the best shape you can be in for the transplant. And if the short term turns into a longer term, the side effects can be horrible. And you can't just stop it. So it is a decision not to be taken lightly.

I'm guessing you can't take aspirin because of blood thinning. So is it that you need relief from some kind of constant pain? Can you be more specific? There might be other solutions if we knew a little more information.

Nightwriter

I guess I'm wondering why you want to be on prednisone. Reading your post, are you saying you want to take it for pain control? You mentioned that this would help you cut down on Tylenol and Morphine. Inflammation is causing what kind of pain?

Short term cortisteroids are very useful in reducing inflammation. But as mentioned by someone else, it does depress the immune system, so if you have a bug like a pseudomonas, it will increase in number and put you at greater risk for infection. And I'm sure you want to be in the best shape you can be in for the transplant. And if the short term turns into a longer term, the side effects can be horrible. And you can't just stop it. So it is a decision not to be taken lightly.

I'm guessing you can't take aspirin because of blood thinning. So is it that you need relief from some kind of constant pain? Can you be more specific? There might be other solutions if we knew a little more information.

Nightwriter

Nightwriter

Nightwriter

<br />
<br />Short term cortisteroids are very useful in reducing inflammation. But as mentioned by someone else, it does depress the immune system, so if you have a bug like a pseudomonas, it will increase in number and put you at greater risk for infection. And I'm sure you want to be in the best shape you can be in for the transplant. And if the short term turns into a longer term, the side effects can be horrible. And you can't just stop it. So it is a decision not to be taken lightly.
<br />
<br />I'm guessing you can't take aspirin because of blood thinning. So is it that you need relief from some kind of constant pain? Can you be more specific? There might be other solutions if we knew a little more information.
<br />
<br />

MicheleGazelle

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Nightwriter</b></i>
Short term cortisteroids are very useful in reducing inflammation. But as mentioned by someone else, it does depress the immune system, so if you have a bug like a pseudomonas, it will increase in number and put you at greater risk for infection. </end quote></div>

Your remarks remind me of this:

I take extra nutritional support for my adrenals and thyroid when fighting some infection or other. My understanding is that part of how steroids help is they run your adrenals on high, which can temporarily boost immune function but then wears them out long-term. When the adrenals get too stressed, it then leads to thyroid trouble. So someone suggested to me nutritional support for both of those as a means to let them work harder without getting so worn down. That has worked well for me.

Sorry if that's kind of OT.

MicheleGazelle

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Nightwriter</b></i>
Short term cortisteroids are very useful in reducing inflammation. But as mentioned by someone else, it does depress the immune system, so if you have a bug like a pseudomonas, it will increase in number and put you at greater risk for infection. </end quote></div>

I take extra nutritional support for my adrenals and thyroid when fighting some infection or other. My understanding is that part of how steroids help is they run your adrenals on high, which can temporarily boost immune function but then wears them out long-term. When the adrenals get too stressed, it then leads to thyroid trouble. So someone suggested to me nutritional support for both of those as a means to let them work harder without getting so worn down. That has worked well for me.

MicheleGazelle

MicheleGazelle

Short term cortisteroids are very useful in reducing inflammation. But as mentioned by someone else, it does depress the immune system, so if you have a bug like a pseudomonas, it will increase in number and put you at greater risk for infection. </end quote>

MicheleGazelle

<br />Short term cortisteroids are very useful in reducing inflammation. But as mentioned by someone else, it does depress the immune system, so if you have a bug like a pseudomonas, it will increase in number and put you at greater risk for infection. </end quote>
<br />
<br />Your remarks remind me of this:
<br />
<br />I take extra nutritional support for my adrenals and thyroid when fighting some infection or other. My understanding is that part of how steroids help is they run your adrenals on high, which can temporarily boost immune function but then wears them out long-term. When the adrenals get too stressed, it then leads to thyroid trouble. So someone suggested to me nutritional support for both of those as a means to let them work harder without getting so worn down. That has worked well for me.
<br />
<br />Sorry if that's kind of OT.