prenatal level 2 ultrasound question

amber682

I am about 22 weeks pregnant, we know our baby girl has CF because we had a CVS. I had my regular 20 week ultrasound at my OB's office where they do all those measurements, everything was perfect but because of the baby's position she couldn't get a couple measurements, and needed me to come back in a couple weeks. Since the baby has CF, she figured she might as well make it a level 2 ultrasound, which is done at Yale, not at my OB's office.

My question is, can they detect any bowel problems this early? I am terrified of the baby having a bowel obstruction and needing surgery after birth. My son had no problems, so I'm hopeful, but still extremely worried.

To anyone who knew before birth that their baby had CF, how many extra ultrasounds did they do to watch for this? And around how many weeks, if you remember?

amber682

I am about 22 weeks pregnant, we know our baby girl has CF because we had a CVS. I had my regular 20 week ultrasound at my OB's office where they do all those measurements, everything was perfect but because of the baby's position she couldn't get a couple measurements, and needed me to come back in a couple weeks. Since the baby has CF, she figured she might as well make it a level 2 ultrasound, which is done at Yale, not at my OB's office.

My question is, can they detect any bowel problems this early? I am terrified of the baby having a bowel obstruction and needing surgery after birth. My son had no problems, so I'm hopeful, but still extremely worried.

To anyone who knew before birth that their baby had CF, how many extra ultrasounds did they do to watch for this? And around how many weeks, if you remember?

amber682

amber682

amber682

<br />
<br />My question is, can they detect any bowel problems this early? I am terrified of the baby having a bowel obstruction and needing surgery after birth. My son had no problems, so I'm hopeful, but still extremely worried.
<br />
<br />To anyone who knew before birth that their baby had CF, how many extra ultrasounds did they do to watch for this? And around how many weeks, if you remember?

Mommy2Alysa

We knew my second had CF because I had an amnio done a few months after finding out our eldest has CF. We didnt have any more ultrasounds then most pregnant women have.

I do think that they can detect bowel problems but I believe it is harder.

Mommy2Alysa

We knew my second had CF because I had an amnio done a few months after finding out our eldest has CF. We didnt have any more ultrasounds then most pregnant women have.

Mommy2Alysa

Mommy2Alysa

Mommy2Alysa

<br />
<br />I do think that they can detect bowel problems but I believe it is harder.

NanaOf8Girls

My daughter found out at around 22 weeks that Grayson had a blocked bowel from the ultrasound. And had amnio done right after this and she was diagnoised with CF. If i remember correctly she had one every couple of weeks after that to see how the bowel was and if my granddaughter was under any stress. The last month of her pregnancy she had an ultrasound done weekly. Hers was a large blockage and she was having a difficult pregnancy so i don't know if this is common or if everyone is done by a case by case basis. I hope this helps.

NanaOf8Girls

My daughter found out at around 22 weeks that Grayson had a blocked bowel from the ultrasound. And had amnio done right after this and she was diagnoised with CF. If i remember correctly she had one every couple of weeks after that to see how the bowel was and if my granddaughter was under any stress. The last month of her pregnancy she had an ultrasound done weekly. Hers was a large blockage and she was having a difficult pregnancy so i don't know if this is common or if everyone is done by a case by case basis. I hope this helps.

NanaOf8Girls

NanaOf8Girls

NanaOf8Girls

TestifyToLove

Its not 100% accurate but yes. If there is a bowel obstruction, it should cause an echogenic bowel, or a spot in the bowel where it is brighter than it should be.

Our 6 yo had the echogenic bowel and everyone freaked out that she either had trisomy 18 or CF. Turned out, it was not as bright as the radiologist thought and the perinatalogist felt it was nothing. It was before they were offering CF testing prenatally, so we opted for a full metabolic test on her at birth.

She did not have a bowel obstruction, nor did she have CF (it doesn't run in our family genetically as far as we know, or at least I'm not a carrier for any of the standard mutations tested for).

But, it can at least give them a head's up though more testing will likely be necessary at birth even if u/s showed a problem going on.

TestifyToLove

Its not 100% accurate but yes. If there is a bowel obstruction, it should cause an echogenic bowel, or a spot in the bowel where it is brighter than it should be.

Our 6 yo had the echogenic bowel and everyone freaked out that she either had trisomy 18 or CF. Turned out, it was not as bright as the radiologist thought and the perinatalogist felt it was nothing. It was before they were offering CF testing prenatally, so we opted for a full metabolic test on her at birth.

She did not have a bowel obstruction, nor did she have CF (it doesn't run in our family genetically as far as we know, or at least I'm not a carrier for any of the standard mutations tested for).

But, it can at least give them a head's up though more testing will likely be necessary at birth even if u/s showed a problem going on.

TestifyToLove

TestifyToLove

TestifyToLove

<br />
<br />Our 6 yo had the echogenic bowel and everyone freaked out that she either had trisomy 18 or CF. Turned out, it was not as bright as the radiologist thought and the perinatalogist felt it was nothing. It was before they were offering CF testing prenatally, so we opted for a full metabolic test on her at birth.
<br />
<br />She did not have a bowel obstruction, nor did she have CF (it doesn't run in our family genetically as far as we know, or at least I'm not a carrier for any of the standard mutations tested for).
<br />
<br />But, it can at least give them a head's up though more testing will likely be necessary at birth even if u/s showed a problem going on.