prenatal level 2 ultrasound question

amber682

Chilemom,
my son, 3.5 with CF, never showed anything at his ultrasounds and had no bowel problems. He wasn't diagnosed until 4 months old.

Since we know now we are carriers, we had a CVS where they take some cells from the placenta and test them for CF, that's how we know this baby has it. We've had a few ultrasounds, no bowel problems so far.

Basically, not all CF babies have bowel problems. You can either have a CVS or amnio done to genetically test for CF, (I think you're too far along to have a CVS but I'm not sure about an amnio)
or genetic testing done after birth. Since they know your daughter's mutations already, its pretty easy for them to just check and see if this baby is a carrier of one gene or has CF.

amber682

Chilemom,
my son, 3.5 with CF, never showed anything at his ultrasounds and had no bowel problems. He wasn't diagnosed until 4 months old.

Since we know now we are carriers, we had a CVS where they take some cells from the placenta and test them for CF, that's how we know this baby has it. We've had a few ultrasounds, no bowel problems so far.

Basically, not all CF babies have bowel problems. You can either have a CVS or amnio done to genetically test for CF, (I think you're too far along to have a CVS but I'm not sure about an amnio)
or genetic testing done after birth. Since they know your daughter's mutations already, its pretty easy for them to just check and see if this baby is a carrier of one gene or has CF.

amber682

Chilemom,

amber682

Chilemom,

amber682

Chilemom,
<br />my son, 3.5 with CF, never showed anything at his ultrasounds and had no bowel problems. He wasn't diagnosed until 4 months old.
<br />
<br />Since we know now we are carriers, we had a CVS where they take some cells from the placenta and test them for CF, that's how we know this baby has it. We've had a few ultrasounds, no bowel problems so far.
<br />
<br />Basically, not all CF babies have bowel problems. You can either have a CVS or amnio done to genetically test for CF, (I think you're too far along to have a CVS but I'm not sure about an amnio)
<br />or genetic testing done after birth. Since they know your daughter's mutations already, its pretty easy for them to just check and see if this baby is a carrier of one gene or has CF.