Pseudomonas and dogs - anyone found a link?

carriepathy

Our 7 month old has pseudomonas and I've seen some articles suggesting that dogs can be a risk - especially if they have ear infections. Our lovely lab has had 2 ear infections in the last 4 months. I'm being encouraged to find her another home but I really want to keep her if we can. She goes to the vet tomorrow to have an ear swab, and he says that if she has pseudomonas, there are antibiotics which can clear it. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Any evidence to suggest a link? What do you think of trying to manage our dog's pseudomonas (if she has it) alongside our son?

carriepathy

Our 7 month old has pseudomonas and I've seen some articles suggesting that dogs can be a risk - especially if they have ear infections. Our lovely lab has had 2 ear infections in the last 4 months. I'm being encouraged to find her another home but I really want to keep her if we can. She goes to the vet tomorrow to have an ear swab, and he says that if she has pseudomonas, there are antibiotics which can clear it. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Any evidence to suggest a link? What do you think of trying to manage our dog's pseudomonas (if she has it) alongside our son?

carriepathy

carriepathy

carriepathy

JazzysMom

My dog is prone to ear infections. I cant say I ever heard of this being connected to PA. I have cultured PA since my dx at 7 so I guess I am not much help except to say that the only issues I have known to be addressed regarding dogs is possible allergies.

I know that certain birds can carry bacteria to cause respiratory infection which is why we got rid of our parakeets.

Interesting.....I will be looking into this more & wonder what others have to say

JazzysMom

My dog is prone to ear infections. I cant say I ever heard of this being connected to PA. I have cultured PA since my dx at 7 so I guess I am not much help except to say that the only issues I have known to be addressed regarding dogs is possible allergies.

I know that certain birds can carry bacteria to cause respiratory infection which is why we got rid of our parakeets.

Interesting.....I will be looking into this more & wonder what others have to say

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

<br />
<br />I know that certain birds can carry bacteria to cause respiratory infection which is why we got rid of our parakeets.
<br />
<br />Interesting.....I will be looking into this more & wonder what others have to say

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I know dogs can culture pseudo and I've seen posts on the basset rescue site where we got our dog about pseudo in the ears -- usually described as being quite painful. IMO, I guess I'd be more concerned if the dog had pseudo in the form of "kennel cough".

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I know dogs can culture pseudo and I've seen posts on the basset rescue site where we got our dog about pseudo in the ears -- usually described as being quite painful. IMO, I guess I'd be more concerned if the dog had pseudo in the form of "kennel cough".

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

kitomd21

I wouldn't be concerned about having a dog with ear infections in relation to CF as most canine ear infections are not due to pseudomonas. Pseudomonas ear infections have a very characteristic odor...a very FOUL odor. It's appearance is usually creamy white and gooey while most other bacterial and/or yeast ear infections are more brown and crusty in appearance. Also note that kennel cough is caused by the bacteria bordetella, viral parainfluenza, or mycoplasma bacteria, not pseudomonas. If you have a lab, she probably loves to go swimming - is that why she has the recurring ear infections? If so...try an ear cleansing/drying solution after swimming to dry the canals and prohibit the favorable moist environment that bacteria love! If that's not the cause of the recurring ear infections, perhaps a hypoallergenic food trial will be suggested by your veterinarian to rule out allergies.

kitomd21

I wouldn't be concerned about having a dog with ear infections in relation to CF as most canine ear infections are not due to pseudomonas. Pseudomonas ear infections have a very characteristic odor...a very FOUL odor. It's appearance is usually creamy white and gooey while most other bacterial and/or yeast ear infections are more brown and crusty in appearance. Also note that kennel cough is caused by the bacteria bordetella, viral parainfluenza, or mycoplasma bacteria, not pseudomonas. If you have a lab, she probably loves to go swimming - is that why she has the recurring ear infections? If so...try an ear cleansing/drying solution after swimming to dry the canals and prohibit the favorable moist environment that bacteria love! If that's not the cause of the recurring ear infections, perhaps a hypoallergenic food trial will be suggested by your veterinarian to rule out allergies.

kitomd21

kitomd21

kitomd21