Q's about G-Tubes

S

scheesman

my little girl is almost 11 months now and we can't get her to eat anything. she used to take apple sauce with her enzymes but now she won't even take that. when we eat she looks at us like she wants to eat but we give her stuff to try but nothing. anyone with anything please help

S

scheesman

my little girl is almost 11 months now and we can't get her to eat anything. she used to take apple sauce with her enzymes but now she won't even take that. when we eat she looks at us like she wants to eat but we give her stuff to try but nothing. anyone with anything please help

S

scheesman

S

scheesman

S

scheesman

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Has it been ongoing or just recently? DS went thru a bottle aversion a few times --we'd find out that he either had an ear infection, was constipated or was getting a tooth in. The other issue was that he didn't like textures of certain things -- ground meat, toast, applesauce -- made him gag like he had a hairball. He preferred babyfood pears or bananas.

We started feeding him solids around 6 months -- and even then there were certain things we knew he liked and things he hated -- loved baby food jars of oatmeal with pears -- hated rice cereal. Loved yogurt. Loved stage 2 mac & cheese. At daycare they ground up what the big kids were eating very finely and he'd eat that, unless there was the teeniest, tiniest pea in it -- he could sense it a mile away.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Has it been ongoing or just recently? DS went thru a bottle aversion a few times --we'd find out that he either had an ear infection, was constipated or was getting a tooth in. The other issue was that he didn't like textures of certain things -- ground meat, toast, applesauce -- made him gag like he had a hairball. He preferred babyfood pears or bananas.

We started feeding him solids around 6 months -- and even then there were certain things we knew he liked and things he hated -- loved baby food jars of oatmeal with pears -- hated rice cereal. Loved yogurt. Loved stage 2 mac & cheese. At daycare they ground up what the big kids were eating very finely and he'd eat that, unless there was the teeniest, tiniest pea in it -- he could sense it a mile away.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

M

Mommafirst

Hi Shawn,

My daughter with CF did the same exact thing at that age. It was incredibly frustrating. We had our CF nutritionist make an appointment with us to see a speech therapist or specializes in feeding therapy. She worked closely with us both to make sure she was getting medical needs (they upped her prevacid, as she showed lots of signs of silent reflux) and to "teach" her to eat different foods and textures. We met every 2 weeks for several months, and each time she would actually sit through a meal with us -- teach us different techniques and give us things to work on. By the time my daughter was a year she was eating table food.

My daughter is still a somewhat picky eater (she's 20 months) who cannot seem to gain weight regardless and we are also considering a g-tube.

Is your daughter on a reflux medicine? My daughter was not interested in baby food at all -- we right to soft table foods. Soup was her favorite and still is. My daughter only wanted breast milk and water well past 10 months. The speech therapist said that these were indicative of reflux, basically she knew that everything she tried made her tummy burn and so she was turned off to food.

I hope you find some answers. I strongly suggest you work with your nutritionist and see if your children's hosptial has a feeding clinic.

M

Mommafirst

Hi Shawn,

My daughter with CF did the same exact thing at that age. It was incredibly frustrating. We had our CF nutritionist make an appointment with us to see a speech therapist or specializes in feeding therapy. She worked closely with us both to make sure she was getting medical needs (they upped her prevacid, as she showed lots of signs of silent reflux) and to "teach" her to eat different foods and textures. We met every 2 weeks for several months, and each time she would actually sit through a meal with us -- teach us different techniques and give us things to work on. By the time my daughter was a year she was eating table food.

My daughter is still a somewhat picky eater (she's 20 months) who cannot seem to gain weight regardless and we are also considering a g-tube.

Is your daughter on a reflux medicine? My daughter was not interested in baby food at all -- we right to soft table foods. Soup was her favorite and still is. My daughter only wanted breast milk and water well past 10 months. The speech therapist said that these were indicative of reflux, basically she knew that everything she tried made her tummy burn and so she was turned off to food.

I hope you find some answers. I strongly suggest you work with your nutritionist and see if your children's hosptial has a feeding clinic.

M

Mommafirst

Hi Shawn,

M

Mommafirst

Hi Shawn,

M

Mommafirst

Hi Shawn,

irishmomof2

Hey everyone,

my daughter Ryan will be 4 around Christmas. We have been struggling with her weight forever! About 2 to 2 1/2 yrs ago they started talking about putting a feeding tube in her and I freaked out!! She was down in the 10% and dropping. I told them to give me a little longer to try to bulk her up. The doctors prescribed pediasure to her and with the pediasure I would add an inch or two of heavy whipping cream to her sippy cup. It worked awesome. The whipping cream made the pediasure taste better and it has 5 grams of fat per tablespoon (or something crazy like that). Anyway, she is now almost 4 and up to the 25% in weight and 50% in height! Now, it's just the pediasure, we haven't added the whipping cream since June. Well, I hope this can help for your children as well as it worked for Ryan.

Andrea

Mom to Tyler 8 w/CF and Ryan 3 w/CF

irishmomof2

Hey everyone,

my daughter Ryan will be 4 around Christmas. We have been struggling with her weight forever! About 2 to 2 1/2 yrs ago they started talking about putting a feeding tube in her and I freaked out!! She was down in the 10% and dropping. I told them to give me a little longer to try to bulk her up. The doctors prescribed pediasure to her and with the pediasure I would add an inch or two of heavy whipping cream to her sippy cup. It worked awesome. The whipping cream made the pediasure taste better and it has 5 grams of fat per tablespoon (or something crazy like that). Anyway, she is now almost 4 and up to the 25% in weight and 50% in height! Now, it's just the pediasure, we haven't added the whipping cream since June. Well, I hope this can help for your children as well as it worked for Ryan.

Andrea

irishmomof2

Hey everyone,

Andrea

irishmomof2

Hey everyone,

Andrea

irishmomof2

Hey everyone,

Andrea