Question about Prednisone

Allisa35

I know a lot of CFers use Prednisone, so hopefully someone can answer this for me. I just finished up an 8 day course this past Wednesday. I had a reaction to something and they put me on prednisone for it (that's another story-I've never had an allergic reaction to something). I have only been on it once before so I'm not all that familiar with all the side effects. Aside from the major ones, like weight gain and insomnia, have any of you experienced muscle soreness? My shoulders, arms, shoulder blades, ribs, side and my neck are terribly sore. It feels like if you exercised after not working for a long time and the next day you are sore, only worse. My last dose was on Wednesday so I'm not sure how long it stays in your system. I was going to have my husband use the percussor on my back tonight, but it hurt so bad so I couldn't do my back. Just wondered if anybody else has experienced this, and if so, how long did it last? Thanks!

Allisa35

I know a lot of CFers use Prednisone, so hopefully someone can answer this for me. I just finished up an 8 day course this past Wednesday. I had a reaction to something and they put me on prednisone for it (that's another story-I've never had an allergic reaction to something). I have only been on it once before so I'm not all that familiar with all the side effects. Aside from the major ones, like weight gain and insomnia, have any of you experienced muscle soreness? My shoulders, arms, shoulder blades, ribs, side and my neck are terribly sore. It feels like if you exercised after not working for a long time and the next day you are sore, only worse. My last dose was on Wednesday so I'm not sure how long it stays in your system. I was going to have my husband use the percussor on my back tonight, but it hurt so bad so I couldn't do my back. Just wondered if anybody else has experienced this, and if so, how long did it last? Thanks!

Allisa35

mamerth

I had some muscle and joint soreness after finishing my 3 day burst of prednisone. It didn't last for very long-- a day or two.

My neck and shoulders hurt.

mamerth

I had some muscle and joint soreness after finishing my 3 day burst of prednisone. It didn't last for very long-- a day or two.

My neck and shoulders hurt.

mamerth

<br />
<br />My neck and shoulders hurt.

PinkPigg

Hey Allisa,

Muscle and joint soreness are very common for me. I also have trouble sleeping and my mind races on higher doses. Stomach issues also crop up so I take Prevacid when I start a burst.

Predisone is a useful drug but does have a lot of downsides. Let me know if you have any questions.

PinkPigg

Hey Allisa,

Muscle and joint soreness are very common for me. I also have trouble sleeping and my mind races on higher doses. Stomach issues also crop up so I take Prevacid when I start a burst.

Predisone is a useful drug but does have a lot of downsides. Let me know if you have any questions.

PinkPigg

Hey Allisa,
<br />
<br />Muscle and joint soreness are very common for me. I also have trouble sleeping and my mind races on higher doses. Stomach issues also crop up so I take Prevacid when I start a burst.
<br />
<br />Predisone is a useful drug but does have a lot of downsides. Let me know if you have any questions.

MusicalCFGirl

Hey Allisa!
I was on a heavy dose of prednisone about six years ago and still am on it but a much lower dose for the inflammation in my lungs. The side effects the doctors were concerned about was initially diabetes (testing my blood sugars for a week to see if pancreas was affected) and I think the reason why your joints are hurting is because apparently prednisone makes your body unable to absorb calcium as well. Because of this I was put on calcium suppliments which have helped. Hoped this has helped! This is only personal advice of what I went through.

Kristi

MusicalCFGirl

Hey Allisa!
I was on a heavy dose of prednisone about six years ago and still am on it but a much lower dose for the inflammation in my lungs. The side effects the doctors were concerned about was initially diabetes (testing my blood sugars for a week to see if pancreas was affected) and I think the reason why your joints are hurting is because apparently prednisone makes your body unable to absorb calcium as well. Because of this I was put on calcium suppliments which have helped. Hoped this has helped! This is only personal advice of what I went through.

Kristi

MusicalCFGirl

Hey Allisa!
<br />I was on a heavy dose of prednisone about six years ago and still am on it but a much lower dose for the inflammation in my lungs. The side effects the doctors were concerned about was initially diabetes (testing my blood sugars for a week to see if pancreas was affected) and I think the reason why your joints are hurting is because apparently prednisone makes your body unable to absorb calcium as well. Because of this I was put on calcium suppliments which have helped. Hoped this has helped! This is only personal advice of what I went through.
<br />
<br />Kristi

ej0820

hello!

just so you know, muscle aches developed while on, or after finishing, prednisone can sometimes indicate that you've stopped it too soon or didn't ween yourself off of it properly. There was a time I was on mega high doses of prednisone for lung issues and began tapering it down every couple of days. Well, a couple of those days I wasn't thinking and forgot to take it completely...enter muscle pain. It was just like you described-like I worked out but didn't stretch, or just worked out too long and my muscles were achy. I ended up with a low grade fever out of no where, which was also a side effect from the abrupt change in prednisone dose.

The reason this happens is because when you're on a corticosteroid, like prednisone, it's because your body isn't producing it on it's own. Prednisone, (and other steroids) when taken in the right amount of time and the correct way, gives your body a little kick to start producing a little of it on its own again. Stopping it suddenly, or tapering down too fast, just makes your body "forget" what it's supposed to be doing with the steroids you've taken, so other levels of things lower (like calcium, insulin, etc.) faster than they have, hence muscle aches.

For me, ibuprofen and a couple of days to get over it fixed the problem. If that doesn't work for you, talk to your doc and see if maybe you should go on a super low dose of prednisone for a few days and then stop it...just to get your body back into the right groove.

ej0820

hello!

just so you know, muscle aches developed while on, or after finishing, prednisone can sometimes indicate that you've stopped it too soon or didn't ween yourself off of it properly. There was a time I was on mega high doses of prednisone for lung issues and began tapering it down every couple of days. Well, a couple of those days I wasn't thinking and forgot to take it completely...enter muscle pain. It was just like you described-like I worked out but didn't stretch, or just worked out too long and my muscles were achy. I ended up with a low grade fever out of no where, which was also a side effect from the abrupt change in prednisone dose.

The reason this happens is because when you're on a corticosteroid, like prednisone, it's because your body isn't producing it on it's own. Prednisone, (and other steroids) when taken in the right amount of time and the correct way, gives your body a little kick to start producing a little of it on its own again. Stopping it suddenly, or tapering down too fast, just makes your body "forget" what it's supposed to be doing with the steroids you've taken, so other levels of things lower (like calcium, insulin, etc.) faster than they have, hence muscle aches.

For me, ibuprofen and a couple of days to get over it fixed the problem. If that doesn't work for you, talk to your doc and see if maybe you should go on a super low dose of prednisone for a few days and then stop it...just to get your body back into the right groove.

ej0820

hello!
<br />
<br />just so you know, muscle aches developed while on, or after finishing, prednisone can sometimes indicate that you've stopped it too soon or didn't ween yourself off of it properly. There was a time I was on mega high doses of prednisone for lung issues and began tapering it down every couple of days. Well, a couple of those days I wasn't thinking and forgot to take it completely...enter muscle pain. It was just like you described-like I worked out but didn't stretch, or just worked out too long and my muscles were achy. I ended up with a low grade fever out of no where, which was also a side effect from the abrupt change in prednisone dose.
<br />
<br />The reason this happens is because when you're on a corticosteroid, like prednisone, it's because your body isn't producing it on it's own. Prednisone, (and other steroids) when taken in the right amount of time and the correct way, gives your body a little kick to start producing a little of it on its own again. Stopping it suddenly, or tapering down too fast, just makes your body "forget" what it's supposed to be doing with the steroids you've taken, so other levels of things lower (like calcium, insulin, etc.) faster than they have, hence muscle aches.
<br />
<br />For me, ibuprofen and a couple of days to get over it fixed the problem. If that doesn't work for you, talk to your doc and see if maybe you should go on a super low dose of prednisone for a few days and then stop it...just to get your body back into the right groove.

greatbay

I have had the same problem and for me, I have to taper down very slowly...to the point that I am only on 5mg for 3 of the last days...Prednisone burst really helps me but if I don't taper off real slow...it makes the rest of my body feel awful for almost a week....and if I don't taper off....I also get a nasty disposition with anyone around me....hate doing that to my loved ones....so I taper, taper, taper.

greatbay

I have had the same problem and for me, I have to taper down very slowly...to the point that I am only on 5mg for 3 of the last days...Prednisone burst really helps me but if I don't taper off real slow...it makes the rest of my body feel awful for almost a week....and if I don't taper off....I also get a nasty disposition with anyone around me....hate doing that to my loved ones....so I taper, taper, taper.

greatbay

Allisa35

Thanks for all the replies. I am still a bit sore today, but it isn't as bad as it was yesterday. I'm still guessing it is the Prednisone. It was only a short course (8 days). The first 2 days he wanted me to take 4 pills (80mg total) and the remaining days were 2 pills a day (40 mg total). That was how I finished up the dose (2 pills on Wednesday). I don't know if that was a slow enough "weaning off" of it or not.

Sad thing is, I was coming down with something before I had the reaction. My cf dr. finally prescribed an antibiotic, but the Prednisone didn't seem to help with my breathing at all.

Thanks for all the replies!!

Allisa35

Thanks for all the replies. I am still a bit sore today, but it isn't as bad as it was yesterday. I'm still guessing it is the Prednisone. It was only a short course (8 days). The first 2 days he wanted me to take 4 pills (80mg total) and the remaining days were 2 pills a day (40 mg total). That was how I finished up the dose (2 pills on Wednesday). I don't know if that was a slow enough "weaning off" of it or not.

Sad thing is, I was coming down with something before I had the reaction. My cf dr. finally prescribed an antibiotic, but the Prednisone didn't seem to help with my breathing at all.

Thanks for all the replies!!