Question for those who are knowledgable with working and ssdi !

maryiris

OK - I just went through this with SSA. Here it is - the first tier limit is $742.00 per month. You have 9 instances that you can go over that. After you have had 9 months that you made over $742, you go to the next tier. You then have 9 instances that you can make over $1000 per month. After you have made over 1000 per month (gross) then you start having your SSDI income reduced based on your monthly gross.

maryiris

OK - I just went through this with SSA. Here it is - the first tier limit is $742.00 per month. You have 9 instances that you can go over that. After you have had 9 months that you made over $742, you go to the next tier. You then have 9 instances that you can make over $1000 per month. After you have made over 1000 per month (gross) then you start having your SSDI income reduced based on your monthly gross.

maryiris

julie

Musclemania, it's 9 months that you can get BOTH the SSDI and your income from WORK if the income from work is over the "substantial" threashold (this year that threashold is $1000).

Your medicare/medicaid benefits can be extended for MUCH longer (medicaid being state dependent though) than that after returning to work.

julie

Musclemania, it's 9 months that you can get BOTH the SSDI and your income from WORK if the income from work is over the "substantial" threashold (this year that threashold is $1000).

Your medicare/medicaid benefits can be extended for MUCH longer (medicaid being state dependent though) than that after returning to work.

julie

<br />
<br />Your medicare/medicaid benefits can be extended for MUCH longer (medicaid being state dependent though) than that after returning to work.

julie

julie

julie

<br />
<br />Your medicare/medicaid benefits can be extended for MUCH longer (medicaid being state dependent though) than that after returning to work.

JennifersHope

I agree one million percent with Lindsey, you need a professional Lawyer and your case worker at the SSI office to make sure things are clear. I am still confused about so much stuff...

I am scheduling an appointment with my case worker because I really want to try to work more once I start to feel better.

JennifersHope

I agree one million percent with Lindsey, you need a professional Lawyer and your case worker at the SSI office to make sure things are clear. I am still confused about so much stuff...

I am scheduling an appointment with my case worker because I really want to try to work more once I start to feel better.

JennifersHope

<br />
<br />I am scheduling an appointment with my case worker because I really want to try to work more once I start to feel better.
<br />
<br />

JennifersHope

JennifersHope

JennifersHope

<br />
<br />I am scheduling an appointment with my case worker because I really want to try to work more once I start to feel better.
<br />
<br />

JennifersHope

Mary I don't understand the tier thing at all, I have never since starting to collect SSDI made over 1000.00 a month, I have very often made 999.99 a month though. Not so much anymore. So what do the different tiers actually mean? What happens? I am excited to know if that is true for my state if I can make over $1000.00 nine times.. that would be great...

I am going to check with my own SSDI office as well as Beth, who is super amazing.

Thanks

JennifersHope

Mary I don't understand the tier thing at all, I have never since starting to collect SSDI made over 1000.00 a month, I have very often made 999.99 a month though. Not so much anymore. So what do the different tiers actually mean? What happens? I am excited to know if that is true for my state if I can make over $1000.00 nine times.. that would be great...

I am going to check with my own SSDI office as well as Beth, who is super amazing.

Thanks

JennifersHope

<br />
<br />I am going to check with my own SSDI office as well as Beth, who is super amazing.
<br />
<br />Thanks

julie

Mary, hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think you need to financially prepare yourself for an overpayment notice from SSA. That, unfortunately, is not how the law works.

You have nine trial working months- PERIOD. A trial working month is ANY month (for 2011) that you earn over $720 a month. EACH MONTH that you earn over $720 counts as 1 trial working month. Once you have accumulated 9 trial working months in a 60 month period, you have exhausted all of your trial work months.

Then, if you earn above $720 but under the "substantial" amount of $1000 per month in ANY of the 36 months following your LAST "trial working month", then you will still get your benefit. So if you've exhausted all 9 trial working months, but then end up in the hospital and only earn $650 for one example, or $850 for another example, you still get your FULL benefit for that particular month.

There is no SSDI income reduction based on gross. This happens with SSA RETIREMENT, but NOT disability. The only reductions given from gross income are for out of pocket medical expenses or self employment expenses to reduce yoru gross to keep it under the "substantial" amount or the "trial working" amount.

You guys really need to familiarize yourself with the law:
http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/317/kw/trial%20working

julie

Mary, hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think you need to financially prepare yourself for an overpayment notice from SSA. That, unfortunately, is not how the law works.

You have nine trial working months- PERIOD. A trial working month is ANY month (for 2011) that you earn over $720 a month. EACH MONTH that you earn over $720 counts as 1 trial working month. Once you have accumulated 9 trial working months in a 60 month period, you have exhausted all of your trial work months.

Then, if you earn above $720 but under the "substantial" amount of $1000 per month in ANY of the 36 months following your LAST "trial working month", then you will still get your benefit. So if you've exhausted all 9 trial working months, but then end up in the hospital and only earn $650 for one example, or $850 for another example, you still get your FULL benefit for that particular month.

There is no SSDI income reduction based on gross. This happens with SSA RETIREMENT, but NOT disability. The only reductions given from gross income are for out of pocket medical expenses or self employment expenses to reduce yoru gross to keep it under the "substantial" amount or the "trial working" amount.

You guys really need to familiarize yourself with the law:
http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/317/kw/trial%20working