Question for those with FEV1 around 70 or over.

serendipity730

Jazzy and Melissa,

Thanks for the advice. I am getting sinus surgery in 2 weeks, which is one of the things that my dr suggested when he talked about my somewhat frequent infections. I am complaint and do two vest treatments a day. I could definitely increase my exercise.

Debbie - I am sorry to hear that your daughter is not doing well. I'm not really sure why you replied to this tread though. I am aware that I am lucky to be doing so well. My best wishes to your daughter.

serendipity730

Jazzy and Melissa,

Thanks for the advice. I am getting sinus surgery in 2 weeks, which is one of the things that my dr suggested when he talked about my somewhat frequent infections. I am complaint and do two vest treatments a day. I could definitely increase my exercise.

Debbie - I am sorry to hear that your daughter is not doing well. I'm not really sure why you replied to this tread though. I am aware that I am lucky to be doing so well. My best wishes to your daughter.

serendipity730

Jazzy and Melissa,

serendipity730

Jazzy and Melissa,

serendipity730

Jazzy and Melissa,
<br />
<br />Thanks for the advice. I am getting sinus surgery in 2 weeks, which is one of the things that my dr suggested when he talked about my somewhat frequent infections. I am complaint and do two vest treatments a day. I could definitely increase my exercise.
<br />
<br />Debbie - I am sorry to hear that your daughter is not doing well. I'm not really sure why you replied to this tread though. I am aware that I am lucky to be doing so well. My best wishes to your daughter.

mlshllmn

Hi Mary
My name is Melisa. I am 27 years old and my FEV1 is usually at 78 when I am at baseline. I usually need Iv antibiotics every 2 years but I take oral antibiotics several times a year. I also take Colistimethate nebulizer treatments every other month and Hypertonic saline regularly. I have the same problem as you. When I go to the doctor and have an infection he doesn't understand why I have them so often. I thought it was just me. LOL The Dr. also complains because I do not exercise, but I am working on that. He explained to me that he felt I could be doing better so I guess I should try harder to stay well? I hope my reply makes sense.

mlshllmn

Hi Mary
My name is Melisa. I am 27 years old and my FEV1 is usually at 78 when I am at baseline. I usually need Iv antibiotics every 2 years but I take oral antibiotics several times a year. I also take Colistimethate nebulizer treatments every other month and Hypertonic saline regularly. I have the same problem as you. When I go to the doctor and have an infection he doesn't understand why I have them so often. I thought it was just me. LOL The Dr. also complains because I do not exercise, but I am working on that. He explained to me that he felt I could be doing better so I guess I should try harder to stay well? I hope my reply makes sense.

mlshllmn

Hi Mary

mlshllmn

Hi Mary

mlshllmn

Hi Mary
<br />My name is Melisa. I am 27 years old and my FEV1 is usually at 78 when I am at baseline. I usually need Iv antibiotics every 2 years but I take oral antibiotics several times a year. I also take Colistimethate nebulizer treatments every other month and Hypertonic saline regularly. I have the same problem as you. When I go to the doctor and have an infection he doesn't understand why I have them so often. I thought it was just me. LOL The Dr. also complains because I do not exercise, but I am working on that. He explained to me that he felt I could be doing better so I guess I should try harder to stay well? I hope my reply makes sense.

Kristen

My FEV1 is around 110% I do colistin every other month, and need oral antibiotics about 2-3 times a year, either for a sinus infection or complications from a cold. I've only been on IVs twice, and the last time was about 5 years ago. I am OCD about doing me meds, working out, getting enough sleep, and hand washing. I do not vest or do any other sort of CPT unless I am sick. HTH!

Kristen

My FEV1 is around 110% I do colistin every other month, and need oral antibiotics about 2-3 times a year, either for a sinus infection or complications from a cold. I've only been on IVs twice, and the last time was about 5 years ago. I am OCD about doing me meds, working out, getting enough sleep, and hand washing. I do not vest or do any other sort of CPT unless I am sick. HTH!

Kristen

Kristen

Kristen

jdubbs

(Becki pretty much covered what I'm going to write, but I'm on vacation so I'm going to write anyway. Exciting vacation, eh!)

Mary -

I have good, stable lung function, and need a combo of oral cipro and tobi about once every 4 months, plus or minus. I'm also on oral Azithromycin permanently. So far that has covered me. (I know that won't last forever). For me, typically a nasty cold precipitates a PA exacerbation. My goal is to minimize the frequency of colds/flu. I doubt it will make Letterman's top ten list, but to help keep colds/exacerabations at bay, my over the counter prescription would be:

Germ avoidance:
1.) avoid people with colds
2.) wash hands regularly (if you don't have those sanitizers, get them!)
3.) keep house clean

Boost immune system:
3.) Get enough sleep (don't run yourself ragged)
4.) Exercise daily (at least 30 minutes of whatever you can tolerate)
5.) Don't drink too much alcohol
6.) Eat well
7.) Get the flu shot

Damage control:
8.) If you feel a tinge of a sore throat, try Zicam (zinc) to reduce the severity of the (probable) cold.
9.) Echinacea (I don't think this really helps, but I do it anyway. It also makes my list 10 points long.)
10.) If the cold hasn't resolved in 10 days, go to your doctor.

Also, I've had about 5 sinus surgeries (last one about 2 years ago). Each time they are a huge relief and make me feel a lot better. If you haven't already, you might want to see an allergist. They might be able to positively identify allergens that could be contributing to your sinus problems.

If anyone has anything to add to the list, please do.

jdubbs

(Becki pretty much covered what I'm going to write, but I'm on vacation so I'm going to write anyway. Exciting vacation, eh!)

Mary -

I have good, stable lung function, and need a combo of oral cipro and tobi about once every 4 months, plus or minus. I'm also on oral Azithromycin permanently. So far that has covered me. (I know that won't last forever). For me, typically a nasty cold precipitates a PA exacerbation. My goal is to minimize the frequency of colds/flu. I doubt it will make Letterman's top ten list, but to help keep colds/exacerabations at bay, my over the counter prescription would be:

Germ avoidance:
3.) keep house clean

Boost immune system:
6.) Eat well
7.) Get the flu shot

Damage control:
8.) If you feel a tinge of a sore throat, try Zicam (zinc) to reduce the severity of the (probable) cold.
9.) Echinacea (I don't think this really helps, but I do it anyway. It also makes my list 10 points long.)

Also, I've had about 5 sinus surgeries (last one about 2 years ago). Each time they are a huge relief and make me feel a lot better. If you haven't already, you might want to see an allergist. They might be able to positively identify allergens that could be contributing to your sinus problems.

jdubbs

Mary -

Germ avoidance:
3.) keep house clean

Boost immune system:
6.) Eat well
7.) Get the flu shot

Damage control:

jdubbs

Mary -

Germ avoidance:
3.) keep house clean

Boost immune system:
6.) Eat well
7.) Get the flu shot

Damage control:

jdubbs

<br />
<br />Mary -
<br />
<br />I have good, stable lung function, and need a combo of oral cipro and tobi about once every 4 months, plus or minus. I'm also on oral Azithromycin permanently. So far that has covered me. (I know that won't last forever). For me, typically a nasty cold precipitates a PA exacerbation. My goal is to minimize the frequency of colds/flu. I doubt it will make Letterman's top ten list, but to help keep colds/exacerabations at bay, my over the counter prescription would be:
<br />
<br />Germ avoidance:
<br />1.) avoid people with colds
<br />2.) wash hands regularly (if you don't have those sanitizers, get them!)
<br />3.) keep house clean
<br />
<br />Boost immune system:
<br />3.) Get enough sleep (don't run yourself ragged)
<br />4.) Exercise daily (at least 30 minutes of whatever you can tolerate)
<br />5.) Don't drink too much alcohol
<br />6.) Eat well
<br />7.) Get the flu shot
<br />
<br />Damage control:
<br />8.) If you feel a tinge of a sore throat, try Zicam (zinc) to reduce the severity of the (probable) cold.
<br />9.) Echinacea (I don't think this really helps, but I do it anyway. It also makes my list 10 points long.)
<br />10.) If the cold hasn't resolved in 10 days, go to your doctor.
<br />
<br />Also, I've had about 5 sinus surgeries (last one about 2 years ago). Each time they are a huge relief and make me feel a lot better. If you haven't already, you might want to see an allergist. They might be able to positively identify allergens that could be contributing to your sinus problems.
<br />
<br />If anyone has anything to add to the list, please do.
<br />
<br />
<br />