Relative with MRSA in Lungs

Sakem

Robin,

I'm done discussing this, as I said i am not judging, I just don't understand. You can do whatever u personally want to your body. But if u r that stressed there are other outlets you may want to explore. Michael Jackson was stressed.

But please for the sake of your child keep reading about MRSA, pnemonia and infection control. Even the little piece u posted from your google search does not say pnemonia isn't contagious. "The cold virus that started the cough in the first place is contagious. But the pneumonia part of the illness down in the lungs is <b>far less contagious</b>. People who are exposed to someone with pneumonia may catch the normal cough and cold symptoms of the virus, but <b>usually</b> don't progress to pneumonia. The formation of the pneumonia is not determined by the particular cold virus or bacteria that the person has, but rather by each <b>person's susceptibility in their own lungs</b>"

"far less contagious" doen't mean not contagious

"usually" doesn't mean never

and finally "person's susceptibility in their own lungs" which means your family!!!your daughter's lungs are very susceptibile because of CF mucus and you and your husband's are because of the gunk from cigarettes.

Sakem

Robin,

I'm done discussing this, as I said i am not judging, I just don't understand. You can do whatever u personally want to your body. But if u r that stressed there are other outlets you may want to explore. Michael Jackson was stressed.

But please for the sake of your child keep reading about MRSA, pnemonia and infection control. Even the little piece u posted from your google search does not say pnemonia isn't contagious. "The cold virus that started the cough in the first place is contagious. But the pneumonia part of the illness down in the lungs is <b>far less contagious</b>. People who are exposed to someone with pneumonia may catch the normal cough and cold symptoms of the virus, but <b>usually</b> don't progress to pneumonia. The formation of the pneumonia is not determined by the particular cold virus or bacteria that the person has, but rather by each <b>person's susceptibility in their own lungs</b>"

and finally "person's susceptibility in their own lungs" which means your family!!!your daughter's lungs are very susceptibile because of CF mucus and you and your husband's are because of the gunk from cigarettes.

Sakem

Robin,

Sakem

Robin,

Sakem

Robin,
<br />
<br />I'm done discussing this, as I said i am not judging, I just don't understand. You can do whatever u personally want to your body. But if u r that stressed there are other outlets you may want to explore. Michael Jackson was stressed.
<br />
<br />But please for the sake of your child keep reading about MRSA, pnemonia and infection control. Even the little piece u posted from your google search does not say pnemonia isn't contagious. "The cold virus that started the cough in the first place is contagious. But the pneumonia part of the illness down in the lungs is <b>far less contagious</b>. People who are exposed to someone with pneumonia may catch the normal cough and cold symptoms of the virus, but <b>usually</b> don't progress to pneumonia. The formation of the pneumonia is not determined by the particular cold virus or bacteria that the person has, but rather by each <b>person's susceptibility in their own lungs</b>"
<br />
<br />"far less contagious" doen't mean not contagious
<br />
<br />"usually" doesn't mean never
<br />
<br />and finally "person's susceptibility in their own lungs" which means your family!!!your daughter's lungs are very susceptibile because of CF mucus and you and your husband's are because of the gunk from cigarettes.

Buckeye

Liza - I'm not sure what I would suggest other than super clean the in-laws home after the guests leave. You could have Max wear a mask every time he visits there for a little while until the MRSA would be dead (have no idea how long it would live for though). And Purell him every couple of hours.I sort of have the same issue when I visit my Mom in her nursing home. I rarely take my son when I visit, but when I have to take him I put a mask on him. Old people tend to want to touch him for some reason(like pat him on the head or hold his hand), so I just weave my way through the nursing home staying as far away from them that I can until I get to my Mom's room and then start wiping everything close to him down with Lysol wipes. One of the nurses actually thought I had some sort of emotional issue with the elderly until I sat her down and explained my son's situation. Now she alerts me to anyone that he most definatly should not be around (so much for patient confidentiality).I never thought about me possibly bringing anything like that back home to him though - it's tough when you have to choose between your family and your son.

Buckeye

Liza - I'm not sure what I would suggest other than super clean the in-laws home after the guests leave. You could have Max wear a mask every time he visits there for a little while until the MRSA would be dead (have no idea how long it would live for though). And Purell him every couple of hours.I sort of have the same issue when I visit my Mom in her nursing home. I rarely take my son when I visit, but when I have to take him I put a mask on him. Old people tend to want to touch him for some reason(like pat him on the head or hold his hand), so I just weave my way through the nursing home staying as far away from them that I can until I get to my Mom's room and then start wiping everything close to him down with Lysol wipes. One of the nurses actually thought I had some sort of emotional issue with the elderly until I sat her down and explained my son's situation. Now she alerts me to anyone that he most definatly should not be around (so much for patient confidentiality).I never thought about me possibly bringing anything like that back home to him though - it's tough when you have to choose between your family and your son.

Buckeye

Buckeye

Buckeye

Liza - I'm not sure what I would suggest other than super clean the in-laws home after the guests leave. You could have Max wear a mask every time he visits there for a little while until the MRSA would be dead (have no idea how long it would live for though). And Purell him every couple of hours.<p>I sort of have the same issue when I visit my Mom in her nursing home. I rarely take my son when I visit, but when I have to take him I put a mask on him. Old people tend to want to touch him for some reason(like pat him on the head or hold his hand), so I just weave my way through the nursing home staying as far away from them that I can until I get to my Mom's room and then start wiping everything close to him down with Lysol wipes. One of the nurses actually thought I had some sort of emotional issue with the elderly until I sat her down and explained my son's situation. Now she alerts me to anyone that he most definatly should not be around (so much for patient confidentiality).<p>I never thought about me possibly bringing anything like that back home to him though - it's tough when you have to choose between your family and your son.<p>

Buckeye

Robin - I hope for your sake that your husband's COPD has not progressed so far that it is beyond repair IF HE QUITS SMOKING, but you really need to sit down with your daughter's CF doctor and his COPD doctor and see what the dangers are of him and your daughter being in close contact. There is no way in the world that I would subject my son to a) the smoke and b) the bacteria - I honestly don't know which is worse for the kids, but it's a toss of the coin to me.People with CPOD (Emphysema, Chronic Bronchitis or whatever they are calling it nowadays) are prone to the same type of infections that CFers get. The difference is that people with COPD don't normally get cultures done.If your husband has issues with not being able to quit smoking then there are drugs now that he can take that can help him.

Buckeye

Robin - I hope for your sake that your husband's COPD has not progressed so far that it is beyond repair IF HE QUITS SMOKING, but you really need to sit down with your daughter's CF doctor and his COPD doctor and see what the dangers are of him and your daughter being in close contact. There is no way in the world that I would subject my son to a) the smoke and b) the bacteria - I honestly don't know which is worse for the kids, but it's a toss of the coin to me.People with CPOD (Emphysema, Chronic Bronchitis or whatever they are calling it nowadays) are prone to the same type of infections that CFers get. The difference is that people with COPD don't normally get cultures done.If your husband has issues with not being able to quit smoking then there are drugs now that he can take that can help him.

Buckeye

Buckeye

Buckeye

Robin - I hope for your sake that your husband's COPD has not progressed so far that it is beyond repair IF HE QUITS SMOKING, but you really need to sit down with your daughter's CF doctor and his COPD doctor and see what the dangers are of him and your daughter being in close contact. There is no way in the world that I would subject my son to a) the smoke and b) the bacteria - I honestly don't know which is worse for the kids, but it's a toss of the coin to me.<p>People with CPOD (Emphysema, Chronic Bronchitis or whatever they are calling it nowadays) are prone to the same type of infections that CFers get. The difference is that people with COPD don't normally get cultures done.<p>If your husband has issues with not being able to quit smoking then there are drugs now that he can take that can help him.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I'm assuming that the visiting relatives will only go out to my inlaws lake home because it's all on one level, no steps -- unlike their home in town. And with school and fall activities, we usually don't get out there after Labor Day. So we'll probably just avoid going out there 'til early next summer. If it were a middle of the summer visit, I imagine we'd just put off visiting for at least a week and after my MIL scrubbed everything down.

When my inlaws visited this relative when he was hospitalized with infections and on IVs, they left their shoes outside, washed their clothes right away, my MIL even scrubbed her purse down with sani-wipes even though she made sure she didn't set it on the floor or on a surface during their visit.

It is tough -- you don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, yet don't want to risk our child's health either.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I'm assuming that the visiting relatives will only go out to my inlaws lake home because it's all on one level, no steps -- unlike their home in town. And with school and fall activities, we usually don't get out there after Labor Day. So we'll probably just avoid going out there 'til early next summer. If it were a middle of the summer visit, I imagine we'd just put off visiting for at least a week and after my MIL scrubbed everything down.

When my inlaws visited this relative when he was hospitalized with infections and on IVs, they left their shoes outside, washed their clothes right away, my MIL even scrubbed her purse down with sani-wipes even though she made sure she didn't set it on the floor or on a surface during their visit.

It is tough -- you don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, yet don't want to risk our child's health either.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />When my inlaws visited this relative when he was hospitalized with infections and on IVs, they left their shoes outside, washed their clothes right away, my MIL even scrubbed her purse down with sani-wipes even though she made sure she didn't set it on the floor or on a surface during their visit.
<br />
<br />It is tough -- you don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, yet don't want to risk our child's health either.