Resting vs. Max heart rate

ladybug

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>mom2lillian</b></i>

I was watchign oprah after the show, an old tivo'd one and they had some docs on there talking abotu nutrition excercise etc. The ? was posed what do you eat before excercise and they said if you are working out hard not to eat fatty foods before you work out because it can inhibit your bodies ability to circulate blood I missed some of what they were sayign due to a fussy baby but basically the arteries are busy with working on the break down of the fat and cant dilate to the degree a hard workout requires.

</end quote>

Hmm... if the foods you eat effects your HR and how your body circulate blood, perhaps reflux, etc. would also effect this?

I know when my FEV1 dropped, but I had been having more heartburn, my doc said reflux can definitely effect FEV1. So, perhaps the same can happen with O2 saturation?

Anyone else know anything about this?

(P.S. I have already ASKED my doctors for O2, so this is not me making excuses... I WILL try the O2, but am also curious if these other factors effect it simply out of curiousity.) If allergies, reflux, colds, etc. effect FEV1 factors, then is it the same sort of thing with O2???

ladybug

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>mom2lillian</b></i>

I was watchign oprah after the show, an old tivo'd one and they had some docs on there talking abotu nutrition excercise etc. The ? was posed what do you eat before excercise and they said if you are working out hard not to eat fatty foods before you work out because it can inhibit your bodies ability to circulate blood I missed some of what they were sayign due to a fussy baby but basically the arteries are busy with working on the break down of the fat and cant dilate to the degree a hard workout requires.

</end quote>

Hmm... if the foods you eat effects your HR and how your body circulate blood, perhaps reflux, etc. would also effect this?

I know when my FEV1 dropped, but I had been having more heartburn, my doc said reflux can definitely effect FEV1. So, perhaps the same can happen with O2 saturation?

Anyone else know anything about this?

(P.S. I have already ASKED my doctors for O2, so this is not me making excuses... I WILL try the O2, but am also curious if these other factors effect it simply out of curiousity.) If allergies, reflux, colds, etc. effect FEV1 factors, then is it the same sort of thing with O2???

NoExcuses

I did answer your question. You're grasping at straws as to why you are de-satting. As you said just two hours ago:

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>ladybug</b></i>

I really am resisting </end quote></div>

I have a cold. But I feel fine even though I'm de-satting.

I know this is a coping mechanism. Iknow this is hard. I know you don't want to be on O2. I know you're scared.

But the more you come up with excuses and road blocks and other ideas as to what is going on, the farther you push yourself away from treating your body the way it deserves.

You need O2. It just breaks my heart to see you running in circles like this.

NoExcuses

I did answer your question. You're grasping at straws as to why you are de-satting. As you said just two hours ago:

I know this is a coping mechanism. Iknow this is hard. I know you don't want to be on O2. I know you're scared.

But the more you come up with excuses and road blocks and other ideas as to what is going on, the farther you push yourself away from treating your body the way it deserves.

NoExcuses

NoExcuses

NoExcuses

I really am resisting </end quote>

NoExcuses

I really am resisting </end quote>

ladybug

Amy,

Yes, I've asked the docs for O2 and am actually getting EXCITED to use it! I want to be able to run for miles and miles like my DH and not get tired... that would be amazing! Maybe I could even run a 5K like I've always wanted to. So, this is not the issue. Although, it seems my clinic may need some convincing. They're still not getting back to me on the issue as they seem to deem it "premature"... Urgh. I would think if its so serious they would want me to use it TODAY for my run...

Anyway, had I not posted regarding my own situation, and had I simply posted this as a question regarding O2 and whether other factors can effect a drop, I don't think people would think I was grasping at straws. Which I'm NOT. I'm looking forward to O2 (not wearing it at the gym), but I'm looking forward to being better to my heart.

In the same respect, I am curious if other factors come into play with ANYONE'S O2 sats, not just mine. Is it normal for a cold, allergies, reflux, etc. to effect O2 while exercising? That's all I'm asking. As though it were its own seperate entity and seperate post.

Colds, allergies, and reflux effect soooo much with CF. So many tests are skewed because of it. SO, could this be yet another test that isn't entirely accurate at those times??? That's all I'm asking.

... Either way, I'm starting O2... I'm adamant about it (even though my nurses aren't so sure) because of the responses I've gotten. It has nothing to do with me trying to justify NOT having it.

ladybug

Amy,

Yes, I've asked the docs for O2 and am actually getting EXCITED to use it! I want to be able to run for miles and miles like my DH and not get tired... that would be amazing! Maybe I could even run a 5K like I've always wanted to. So, this is not the issue. Although, it seems my clinic may need some convincing. They're still not getting back to me on the issue as they seem to deem it "premature"... Urgh. I would think if its so serious they would want me to use it TODAY for my run...

Anyway, had I not posted regarding my own situation, and had I simply posted this as a question regarding O2 and whether other factors can effect a drop, I don't think people would think I was grasping at straws. Which I'm NOT. I'm looking forward to O2 (not wearing it at the gym), but I'm looking forward to being better to my heart.

In the same respect, I am curious if other factors come into play with ANYONE'S O2 sats, not just mine. Is it normal for a cold, allergies, reflux, etc. to effect O2 while exercising? That's all I'm asking. As though it were its own seperate entity and seperate post.

Colds, allergies, and reflux effect soooo much with CF. So many tests are skewed because of it. SO, could this be yet another test that isn't entirely accurate at those times??? That's all I'm asking.

... Either way, I'm starting O2... I'm adamant about it (even though my nurses aren't so sure) because of the responses I've gotten. It has nothing to do with me trying to justify NOT having it.

ladybug

Amy,

ladybug

Amy,

ladybug

Amy,

ladybug

Amy,

cdale613

In Sonia's defense:

1) I think its an entirely reasonable question. Yes Amy, she has CF. What happens when you exercise with CF? Little chucks of crap work loose and block of parts of your airway, until you can clear them. What happens when little chunks of crap block your airways?? Less oxygen gets to your small airways, and guess what? You desat. So... not to imply she still doesn't need O2, but its very reasonable to talk about mechanism of the desating, and if she's particularly congested right now, its worth knowing.

2) I think its important to point out that she's taken her o2 level once while exercising. I think she's ok wanting to get more information than one sample point. If she takes her levels again in a couple days when she's feeling better and still desats that will only strengthen the voice in her head saying she has to get the o2.

3) Generally speaking. I also think she owes it to herself to ask all the questions she wants in order to feel comfortable taking a step that I think its fair to say everyone would prefer not to take. Bottom line is, she's the one who has to make the decision and live with the good and bad. As someone who resisted IVs for years for similar reasons, she's the one who has to live with the o2, and if accepting that and being comfortable with that, and being able to build up the courage to out in public and exercise at her gym with it means asking questions and taking the time to figure it out than so be it. I don't see how accusing her of "grasping at straws" and other such accusations are supportive.

Carry on.

Chris

27 m w/CF

cdale613

In Sonia's defense:

1) I think its an entirely reasonable question. Yes Amy, she has CF. What happens when you exercise with CF? Little chucks of crap work loose and block of parts of your airway, until you can clear them. What happens when little chunks of crap block your airways?? Less oxygen gets to your small airways, and guess what? You desat. So... not to imply she still doesn't need O2, but its very reasonable to talk about mechanism of the desating, and if she's particularly congested right now, its worth knowing.

2) I think its important to point out that she's taken her o2 level once while exercising. I think she's ok wanting to get more information than one sample point. If she takes her levels again in a couple days when she's feeling better and still desats that will only strengthen the voice in her head saying she has to get the o2.

3) Generally speaking. I also think she owes it to herself to ask all the questions she wants in order to feel comfortable taking a step that I think its fair to say everyone would prefer not to take. Bottom line is, she's the one who has to make the decision and live with the good and bad. As someone who resisted IVs for years for similar reasons, she's the one who has to live with the o2, and if accepting that and being comfortable with that, and being able to build up the courage to out in public and exercise at her gym with it means asking questions and taking the time to figure it out than so be it. I don't see how accusing her of "grasping at straws" and other such accusations are supportive.

Carry on.

Chris

27 m w/CF

cdale613

In Sonia's defense:

Carry on.

Chris

27 m w/CF

cdale613

In Sonia's defense:

Carry on.

Chris

27 m w/CF

cdale613

In Sonia's defense:

Carry on.

Chris

27 m w/CF

cdale613

In Sonia's defense:

Carry on.

Chris

27 m w/CF