School Nurses?

pjspiegle

Hi,

I too would talk with the nurse one on one and bring her some information about CF. Keep in mind that school nurses are often times nothing more than a LPN, which is only 1 year of nursing class, not much more training than a CNA really, so they just do not have enough training to know about CF. Even though its frustrating right now, it is better to have an over cautious nurse than one who waits until they need 911 to call you. Its much easier to figure out that she just needs some education and reassurance from you that your child is really ok than getting a child who is extremely ill coming home, especially at 4 pm on a Friday and now the clinic is closed for the weekend, can you tell I have experience with this? Perhaps you can talk with her, educate her a little, and explain that it is ok to call if she isn't sure, but that you will want to speak with your daughter before actually coming to the school to determine whether or not it is necessary. Maybe she does not intend for you to come all the time but rather just informing you or at least this could be the intention after talking with her.
Its hard because you don't want her to go to the other extreme either.

pjspiegle

Hi,

I too would talk with the nurse one on one and bring her some information about CF. Keep in mind that school nurses are often times nothing more than a LPN, which is only 1 year of nursing class, not much more training than a CNA really, so they just do not have enough training to know about CF. Even though its frustrating right now, it is better to have an over cautious nurse than one who waits until they need 911 to call you. Its much easier to figure out that she just needs some education and reassurance from you that your child is really ok than getting a child who is extremely ill coming home, especially at 4 pm on a Friday and now the clinic is closed for the weekend, can you tell I have experience with this? Perhaps you can talk with her, educate her a little, and explain that it is ok to call if she isn't sure, but that you will want to speak with your daughter before actually coming to the school to determine whether or not it is necessary. Maybe she does not intend for you to come all the time but rather just informing you or at least this could be the intention after talking with her.

pjspiegle

Hi,

pjspiegle

Hi,

pjspiegle

Hi,
<br />
<br />I too would talk with the nurse one on one and bring her some information about CF. Keep in mind that school nurses are often times nothing more than a LPN, which is only 1 year of nursing class, not much more training than a CNA really, so they just do not have enough training to know about CF. Even though its frustrating right now, it is better to have an over cautious nurse than one who waits until they need 911 to call you. Its much easier to figure out that she just needs some education and reassurance from you that your child is really ok than getting a child who is extremely ill coming home, especially at 4 pm on a Friday and now the clinic is closed for the weekend, can you tell I have experience with this? Perhaps you can talk with her, educate her a little, and explain that it is ok to call if she isn't sure, but that you will want to speak with your daughter before actually coming to the school to determine whether or not it is necessary. Maybe she does not intend for you to come all the time but rather just informing you or at least this could be the intention after talking with her.
<br />Its hard because you don't want her to go to the other extreme either.
<br />

2sickkids

I'd talk to the nurse first. She seems to be trying. That's a plus. I've talked to the school nurse a few times. Once cause the creon bottle said give 3 and I had said 4. She wanted to make sure I hadn't wrote down the wrong dose before she gave 4. Other times due to her checking on them when they missed a day. I kinda lucked out because she helped me explain cf to the teachers before my kids started. One of the teachers in my district has cf.

2sickkids

I'd talk to the nurse first. She seems to be trying. That's a plus. I've talked to the school nurse a few times. Once cause the creon bottle said give 3 and I had said 4. She wanted to make sure I hadn't wrote down the wrong dose before she gave 4. Other times due to her checking on them when they missed a day. I kinda lucked out because she helped me explain cf to the teachers before my kids started. One of the teachers in my district has cf.

2sickkids

2sickkids

2sickkids

Emily65Roses

I was lucky... All throughout elementary school I had the same nurse. She was awesome. Incredibly gifted. Let me rest when I needed it, didn't over worry or freak out. Only called my mom when it was necessary or when I asked. And then... by the time I got to the high school, she had moved from my elementary school to my high school. So I had the same school nurse for like... 10 years. Ahahahahaa.

I agree, talk with the nurse first. It sounds annoying, but it does sound like she's trying and it's just new to her and she's afraid she'll screw up. Bring her some CF info, talk to her, tell her what's normal for Holly, etc. Be nice but explain to her that there are some things she just doesn't need to call you for. If Holly has a coughing fit, give her a few minutes, wait for it to pass. There's nothing anyone can do other than wait. Stuff like that.

Emily65Roses

I was lucky... All throughout elementary school I had the same nurse. She was awesome. Incredibly gifted. Let me rest when I needed it, didn't over worry or freak out. Only called my mom when it was necessary or when I asked. And then... by the time I got to the high school, she had moved from my elementary school to my high school. So I had the same school nurse for like... 10 years. Ahahahahaa.

I agree, talk with the nurse first. It sounds annoying, but it does sound like she's trying and it's just new to her and she's afraid she'll screw up. Bring her some CF info, talk to her, tell her what's normal for Holly, etc. Be nice but explain to her that there are some things she just doesn't need to call you for. If Holly has a coughing fit, give her a few minutes, wait for it to pass. There's nothing anyone can do other than wait. Stuff like that.

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

<br />
<br />I agree, talk with the nurse first. It sounds annoying, but it does sound like she's trying and it's just new to her and she's afraid she'll screw up. Bring her some CF info, talk to her, tell her what's normal for Holly, etc. Be nice but explain to her that there are some things she just doesn't need to call you for. If Holly has a coughing fit, give her a few minutes, wait for it to pass. There's nothing anyone can do other than wait. Stuff like that.

gabandpjsmom

I am glad that I came across this particular blog. I am so lucky that I am a teacher in my daughter's school...I usually see her before she goes to the nurse or I'll go with her to take her temp.or O2 level! It has been few and far between when I've gotten called out of class to attend to her. Unfortunately,our situation is going to change next school year and after reading everyone's response, I am going to make sure that the nurse (and teacher) understands about her CF and what is normal and what would constitute a phone call!!

gabandpjsmom

I am glad that I came across this particular blog. I am so lucky that I am a teacher in my daughter's school...I usually see her before she goes to the nurse or I'll go with her to take her temp.or O2 level! It has been few and far between when I've gotten called out of class to attend to her. Unfortunately,our situation is going to change next school year and after reading everyone's response, I am going to make sure that the nurse (and teacher) understands about her CF and what is normal and what would constitute a phone call!!

gabandpjsmom

gabandpjsmom

gabandpjsmom