school!

momtonick

Hi new to this board have a 6 year old with cf just turned 6 actually on aug.26th my question is this for a year sons doctor has said no to kindergarden said no to preschool and mommy and me classes too.Told me that my son recieved enough exposure from brothers who do not have cf.Told me the longer the better so sons lungs could be larger and stronger.He is doing very well and very grateful.So I decided to home school him. 4 days before school started nurse called me and said send him to school.I was shocked after years of doctor telling me this now he changed his mind.I asked nurse to have dr. call me and I wanted to meet with him.Important for me to trust his judgement and it has worked so far.Meanwhile no call have called and called myself.I decided not to send to school dont want to keep him from enjoying normal things but one more year at home is the plan.Do you agree /disagree how do I handle situation with dr?Have always trusted him hes the best around here just unsure of what to do?thanks ahead of time and to all parents of children with cf or those with cf my prayers are with you.

momtonick

Hi new to this board have a 6 year old with cf just turned 6 actually on aug.26th my question is this for a year sons doctor has said no to kindergarden said no to preschool and mommy and me classes too.Told me that my son recieved enough exposure from brothers who do not have cf.Told me the longer the better so sons lungs could be larger and stronger.He is doing very well and very grateful.So I decided to home school him. 4 days before school started nurse called me and said send him to school.I was shocked after years of doctor telling me this now he changed his mind.I asked nurse to have dr. call me and I wanted to meet with him.Important for me to trust his judgement and it has worked so far.Meanwhile no call have called and called myself.I decided not to send to school dont want to keep him from enjoying normal things but one more year at home is the plan.Do you agree /disagree how do I handle situation with dr?Have always trusted him hes the best around here just unsure of what to do?thanks ahead of time and to all parents of children with cf or those with cf my prayers are with you.

momtonick

momtonick

momtonick

Emily65Roses

People don't seem to get or want to get this... CF kids need to build immune systems, just like anyone else. And exposure to 2 or 3 siblings isn't going to make a world of difference. As long as your kid isn't unreasonably unhealthy (and by that, at age 6 I mean 50% or less, give or take), let him go to school. Obviously the doctor is screwing around and you have to rearrange your previous plans and that's fine. But let the kid go to school, it won't kill him. It'll probably help if anything. I went to nursery school, I went to kindergarten, I went to Brownies and gymnastics and swimming and art classes. I went to public school my whole life, and I'm doing damn well for a 23 year old (70% PFTs).

Emily65Roses

People don't seem to get or want to get this... CF kids need to build immune systems, just like anyone else. And exposure to 2 or 3 siblings isn't going to make a world of difference. As long as your kid isn't unreasonably unhealthy (and by that, at age 6 I mean 50% or less, give or take), let him go to school. Obviously the doctor is screwing around and you have to rearrange your previous plans and that's fine. But let the kid go to school, it won't kill him. It'll probably help if anything. I went to nursery school, I went to kindergarten, I went to Brownies and gymnastics and swimming and art classes. I went to public school my whole life, and I'm doing damn well for a 23 year old (70% PFTs).

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

Alyssa

I think it's great that your doctor has taken an interest in what's best for your son, but keep in mind you can choose to home school for any period of time for any reason you choose (doesn't have to be because of CF)

You can choose to keep him home and home school for this year or the rest of his school years with or without the input of the CF doc. Just do whatever feels right to you. It's also not a now or never situation. He can join kindergarten later in the year if you decide that's better for him. Really, it's one year -- can't matter all that much one way or the other -- you may just have a blast with him home another year :) and *generally* speaking, boys aren't always mature enough for kindergarten anyway, so one more year may help him that way too.

We home schooled our kids from 3rd and 4th grade through high school, for reasons other than CF (actually for most of the years, we didn't even know they had CF !) Some people are against home schooling with a CFer because they think it can contribute to the kid feeling even more like an exception or isolated and they want them to experience the more "normal" school route. I can understand that logic and I think that for many people "going to school" is a good option. I also think it depends an awful lot on the kids attitude or feelings about it going into it. We had a very positive experience with home schooling. My kids did very well and both attended college at age 16 & 18 years old - for us it was a very great experience - we spent way more time together as a family.

Anyway, if you want to know more specifics about home schooling, feel free to PM me. I'd be happy to share more details with you.

Alyssa

I think it's great that your doctor has taken an interest in what's best for your son, but keep in mind you can choose to home school for any period of time for any reason you choose (doesn't have to be because of CF)

You can choose to keep him home and home school for this year or the rest of his school years with or without the input of the CF doc. Just do whatever feels right to you. It's also not a now or never situation. He can join kindergarten later in the year if you decide that's better for him. Really, it's one year -- can't matter all that much one way or the other -- you may just have a blast with him home another year :) and *generally* speaking, boys aren't always mature enough for kindergarten anyway, so one more year may help him that way too.

We home schooled our kids from 3rd and 4th grade through high school, for reasons other than CF (actually for most of the years, we didn't even know they had CF !) Some people are against home schooling with a CFer because they think it can contribute to the kid feeling even more like an exception or isolated and they want them to experience the more "normal" school route. I can understand that logic and I think that for many people "going to school" is a good option. I also think it depends an awful lot on the kids attitude or feelings about it going into it. We had a very positive experience with home schooling. My kids did very well and both attended college at age 16 & 18 years old - for us it was a very great experience - we spent way more time together as a family.

Anyway, if you want to know more specifics about home schooling, feel free to PM me. I'd be happy to share more details with you.

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa

Emily65Roses

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Alyssa</b></i>
I can understand that logic and I think that for many people "going to school" is a good option. I also think it depends an awful lot on the kids attitude or feelings about it going into it. We had a very positive experience with home schooling.</end quote></div>

*thumbs up*

When it comes down to it, it's obviously your choice whether or not to home school. But put some SERIOUS thought into it. Alyssa is right, in many cases, homeschooling will just make the CFer feel even more like a freak.

Then again, homeschooling is just right for some. My fiance's little brother is homeschooled and there's really no other choice concerning him. Just do your CFer a favor and don't homeschool SOLELY because of the CF. If you have some other reason, by all means, it's your decision. Just don't make the decision to homeschool because your CFer might be exposed to germs or whatever. They'll be exposed anyway. If they want to go to school, let them go. Make it based on the kid's personality, not their diagnosis.

Emily65Roses

I can understand that logic and I think that for many people "going to school" is a good option. I also think it depends an awful lot on the kids attitude or feelings about it going into it. We had a very positive experience with home schooling.</end quote></div>

*thumbs up*

When it comes down to it, it's obviously your choice whether or not to home school. But put some SERIOUS thought into it. Alyssa is right, in many cases, homeschooling will just make the CFer feel even more like a freak.

Then again, homeschooling is just right for some. My fiance's little brother is homeschooled and there's really no other choice concerning him. Just do your CFer a favor and don't homeschool SOLELY because of the CF. If you have some other reason, by all means, it's your decision. Just don't make the decision to homeschool because your CFer might be exposed to germs or whatever. They'll be exposed anyway. If they want to go to school, let them go. Make it based on the kid's personality, not their diagnosis.

Emily65Roses

*thumbs up*

Emily65Roses

I can understand that logic and I think that for many people "going to school" is a good option. I also think it depends an awful lot on the kids attitude or feelings about it going into it. We had a very positive experience with home schooling.</end quote>

*thumbs up*

Emily65Roses

I can understand that logic and I think that for many people "going to school" is a good option. I also think it depends an awful lot on the kids attitude or feelings about it going into it. We had a very positive experience with home schooling.</end quote>

*thumbs up*