Should I have more children?

shea14

As others have said it is a personal decision. I too am pro life. My first child has cf and when I became pregnant with my daughter (even though it was a different father) I asked if there was anything they could to about it in utero. The doctor said the only reason to check was to decide weather or not to abort. So of course that was out of the question. Luckily she doesn't but I personally wouldn't have regreted having her even if she did. I know a few family's who have had kids afer the first cfer. Some of those kids have cf, and a lot of them don't. But none of them (or at least that they admit) regret having another child after knowing the consequences. The question I think is can you handle it if you have another child with cf?

shea14

As others have said it is a personal decision. I too am pro life. My first child has cf and when I became pregnant with my daughter (even though it was a different father) I asked if there was anything they could to about it in utero. The doctor said the only reason to check was to decide weather or not to abort. So of course that was out of the question. Luckily she doesn't but I personally wouldn't have regreted having her even if she did. I know a few family's who have had kids afer the first cfer. Some of those kids have cf, and a lot of them don't. But none of them (or at least that they admit) regret having another child after knowing the consequences. The question I think is can you handle it if you have another child with cf?

shea14

shea14

shea14

carrierae21

My husband and I talk about this alot. I always wanted 2 or 3 and he is fine with our daughter being an only child. It's a very hard decision. There's no way to make it easy for anyone. I found out I was a carrier after I was already pregnany as we did with my husband. It's just not anything I ever had a clue about... I never had to. No one in either family has ever had anything remotely like CF. Anyway, an ultrasound @ 19 weeks showed an ecogenic bowel but I was not interested in an amnio. We weren't going to terminate and it was a risk I wasn't willing to take. So we kept getting our ultrasounds and the bowel looked like it self resolved. The PKU came back negative for CF so our pediatrician said we were in the clear. I just wanted our daughter tested to see if she was a carrier b/c I just needed to know... That came back with her having 2 genes (uh oh). So we had a sweat test and a confirmation of the dx of CF. It was just such a kick in the head to think we were in the clear and then get caught off gaurd. I would suggest to anyone and everyone to never trust a PKU or expanded metabolic screening...
I think I rambled off the subject... As much as my husband and I would like to have more children, I just don't think that we are up for having another CFer. It's not like "oh you have one, what's the difference..." It's not something I am prepared to handle at this point. it's possible that my opinion may change. Our daughter is 10 months right now. I could just be overwhelmed with the CF and having an infant... teething certainly leaves much to be desired; like her going to back to sleeping through the night. I was used to her sleeping through the night. We went from sleeping 11-12 hours @ night to up once or twice for a couple hours... Any tricks for getting her back to sleeping through the night while teething???

carrierae21

My husband and I talk about this alot. I always wanted 2 or 3 and he is fine with our daughter being an only child. It's a very hard decision. There's no way to make it easy for anyone. I found out I was a carrier after I was already pregnany as we did with my husband. It's just not anything I ever had a clue about... I never had to. No one in either family has ever had anything remotely like CF. Anyway, an ultrasound @ 19 weeks showed an ecogenic bowel but I was not interested in an amnio. We weren't going to terminate and it was a risk I wasn't willing to take. So we kept getting our ultrasounds and the bowel looked like it self resolved. The PKU came back negative for CF so our pediatrician said we were in the clear. I just wanted our daughter tested to see if she was a carrier b/c I just needed to know... That came back with her having 2 genes (uh oh). So we had a sweat test and a confirmation of the dx of CF. It was just such a kick in the head to think we were in the clear and then get caught off gaurd. I would suggest to anyone and everyone to never trust a PKU or expanded metabolic screening...
I think I rambled off the subject... As much as my husband and I would like to have more children, I just don't think that we are up for having another CFer. It's not like "oh you have one, what's the difference..." It's not something I am prepared to handle at this point. it's possible that my opinion may change. Our daughter is 10 months right now. I could just be overwhelmed with the CF and having an infant... teething certainly leaves much to be desired; like her going to back to sleeping through the night. I was used to her sleeping through the night. We went from sleeping 11-12 hours @ night to up once or twice for a couple hours... Any tricks for getting her back to sleeping through the night while teething???

carrierae21

carrierae21

carrierae21

<br />I think I rambled off the subject... As much as my husband and I would like to have more children, I just don't think that we are up for having another CFer. It's not like "oh you have one, what's the difference..." It's not something I am prepared to handle at this point. it's possible that my opinion may change. Our daughter is 10 months right now. I could just be overwhelmed with the CF and having an infant... teething certainly leaves much to be desired; like her going to back to sleeping through the night. I was used to her sleeping through the night. We went from sleeping 11-12 hours @ night to up once or twice for a couple hours... Any tricks for getting her back to sleeping through the night while teething???

letefk

My heart goes out to all who struggle with this issue. My daughters were diagnosed at 4 and 1, and we decided not to have any more children. I know that if we had found out about Tess's CF before Fiona was born, we never would have had another child. Know that we do know, there will not be a third child, and we have taken steps to make sure that is so.

Yet when I imagine the possibility that Tess was diagnosed before we had Fiona, my heart breaks. Not only is my younger daughter a delight - a truly remarkable, irrepressible spirit - but she is also her older sister's best friend and partner in all things. Because they both have CF, it is "normal" for them. They understand (well the older girl does) that others don't have to do treatments, but they know one other person whose life is just like theirs. While I never would have wished for two children with CF, there is a strange comfort in the fact that they will not face CF alone.

I am not trying to suggest it is 'easy' or 'good' to have two children with CF, but for my family, there are strange and surprising things that came out of having a second child, and our family is richer for that. Yet I am grateful that I never had to decide, and I am grateful that I did have a second child, even though she also has CF.

I am not sure any of this really helps you answer the question you need to answer. You will find your own answer, and it will be the right one for you, because, in part, you will choose to make it so. In the end, that is all we can do, I think.

letefk

My heart goes out to all who struggle with this issue. My daughters were diagnosed at 4 and 1, and we decided not to have any more children. I know that if we had found out about Tess's CF before Fiona was born, we never would have had another child. Know that we do know, there will not be a third child, and we have taken steps to make sure that is so.

Yet when I imagine the possibility that Tess was diagnosed before we had Fiona, my heart breaks. Not only is my younger daughter a delight - a truly remarkable, irrepressible spirit - but she is also her older sister's best friend and partner in all things. Because they both have CF, it is "normal" for them. They understand (well the older girl does) that others don't have to do treatments, but they know one other person whose life is just like theirs. While I never would have wished for two children with CF, there is a strange comfort in the fact that they will not face CF alone.

I am not trying to suggest it is 'easy' or 'good' to have two children with CF, but for my family, there are strange and surprising things that came out of having a second child, and our family is richer for that. Yet I am grateful that I never had to decide, and I am grateful that I did have a second child, even though she also has CF.

I am not sure any of this really helps you answer the question you need to answer. You will find your own answer, and it will be the right one for you, because, in part, you will choose to make it so. In the end, that is all we can do, I think.

letefk

letefk

letefk

<br />
<br />Yet when I imagine the possibility that Tess was diagnosed before we had Fiona, my heart breaks. Not only is my younger daughter a delight - a truly remarkable, irrepressible spirit - but she is also her older sister's best friend and partner in all things. Because they both have CF, it is "normal" for them. They understand (well the older girl does) that others don't have to do treatments, but they know one other person whose life is just like theirs. While I never would have wished for two children with CF, there is a strange comfort in the fact that they will not face CF alone.
<br />
<br />I am not trying to suggest it is 'easy' or 'good' to have two children with CF, but for my family, there are strange and surprising things that came out of having a second child, and our family is richer for that. Yet I am grateful that I never had to decide, and I am grateful that I did have a second child, even though she also has CF.
<br />
<br />I am not sure any of this really helps you answer the question you need to answer. You will find your own answer, and it will be the right one for you, because, in part, you will choose to make it so. In the end, that is all we can do, I think.