Should I have more children?

M

mneville

Because this is such a personal decision, I never asked people their opinion when we were going through it because in the end--you have to do what is right for your family. Obviously there is no right or wrong, it is what you think is right for your family.

We both work full time and the grandmas watch Aidan. I knew that alot of responsibility would fall on others if we had another child with CF. So I chose another route and was blessed with the outcome but a child is such a blessing anyway. Aidan is our life and we always put his health first.

Yes, we did use our own genes. Gavin is our biological child. He is a CF carrier though. You can pm me for more info, I'm not sure how to do it?

Megan

M

mneville

Because this is such a personal decision, I never asked people their opinion when we were going through it because in the end--you have to do what is right for your family. Obviously there is no right or wrong, it is what you think is right for your family.

We both work full time and the grandmas watch Aidan. I knew that alot of responsibility would fall on others if we had another child with CF. So I chose another route and was blessed with the outcome but a child is such a blessing anyway. Aidan is our life and we always put his health first.

Yes, we did use our own genes. Gavin is our biological child. He is a CF carrier though. You can pm me for more info, I'm not sure how to do it?

Megan

M

mneville

Megan

M

mneville

Megan

M

mneville

<br />
<br />We both work full time and the grandmas watch Aidan. I knew that alot of responsibility would fall on others if we had another child with CF. So I chose another route and was blessed with the outcome but a child is such a blessing anyway. Aidan is our life and we always put his health first.
<br />
<br />Yes, we did use our own genes. Gavin is our biological child. He is a CF carrier though. You can pm me for more info, I'm not sure how to do it?
<br />
<br />Megan

sue35

Ok, so you did ask for opinions from CFers so no one get mad at me. If I found out that my parents could of prevented my CF (through IVF or what have you) I don't think I could forgive them. I would be heartbroken. I think of all the times that I am sick, can't breathe, and watch life go on without me and just know I would resent them. It is different if I got something they couldn't prevent but this they could

It is a personal decision and there are very heated threads about it.

sue35

Ok, so you did ask for opinions from CFers so no one get mad at me. If I found out that my parents could of prevented my CF (through IVF or what have you) I don't think I could forgive them. I would be heartbroken. I think of all the times that I am sick, can't breathe, and watch life go on without me and just know I would resent them. It is different if I got something they couldn't prevent but this they could

sue35

sue35

sue35

<br />
<br />It is a personal decision and there are very heated threads about it.

J

juls

This is a tough one. We have two children with CF. Our older DD wasn't diagnosed until she was three and our younger DD was 2 months old at the time. If we would have known about Taylor sooner I am sure we wouldn't have opted for a third child. The risk is too great. The most frustrating part for us is that Taylor was seen by a GENETICS doctor twice when she was 2 because of a gross motor delay. That doctor misdiagnosed her and gave us the green light to have another child. It s a long complicated story and someday when I have time I will start a blog to chronicle our diagnosis saga!
I don't really have any advice other than to say just be glad you know about your son and have a choice about if to have another child.

J

juls

This is a tough one. We have two children with CF. Our older DD wasn't diagnosed until she was three and our younger DD was 2 months old at the time. If we would have known about Taylor sooner I am sure we wouldn't have opted for a third child. The risk is too great. The most frustrating part for us is that Taylor was seen by a GENETICS doctor twice when she was 2 because of a gross motor delay. That doctor misdiagnosed her and gave us the green light to have another child. It s a long complicated story and someday when I have time I will start a blog to chronicle our diagnosis saga!
I don't really have any advice other than to say just be glad you know about your son and have a choice about if to have another child.

J

juls

J

juls

J

juls

<br />I don't really have any advice other than to say just be glad you know about your son and have a choice about if to have another child.

H

hopesiris

I think that IVF and PGD is an acceptable option for couples who would prefer to have biological children rather than adopt. That is a very personal matter and some people just very much want the biological children they originally planned to have. There is nothing wrong with that.

My reasoning is that the destruction of an embryo doesn't cause the human suffering that would result from a person with CF experiencing lung failure. So I guess what I'm saying is that the prevention of human suffering is a valid and acceptable reason to do IVF/PGD.

H

hopesiris

I think that IVF and PGD is an acceptable option for couples who would prefer to have biological children rather than adopt. That is a very personal matter and some people just very much want the biological children they originally planned to have. There is nothing wrong with that.

My reasoning is that the destruction of an embryo doesn't cause the human suffering that would result from a person with CF experiencing lung failure. So I guess what I'm saying is that the prevention of human suffering is a valid and acceptable reason to do IVF/PGD.

H

hopesiris

H

hopesiris

H

hopesiris

<br />
<br />My reasoning is that the destruction of an embryo doesn't cause the human suffering that would result from a person with CF experiencing lung failure. So I guess what I'm saying is that the prevention of human suffering is a valid and acceptable reason to do IVF/PGD.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />