Sibling issues

fourkidsmom

Been here done this, still doing this. 2 of my kids are teenagers now. I sometimes think this is why my 15 yr old decided to move in with his dad this school year. My 2 younger special needs kids are alot for me to handle and the older ones even though we try still lose out. It is unavoidable. All we can do is the best we can do.

fourkidsmom

Been here done this, still doing this. 2 of my kids are teenagers now. I sometimes think this is why my 15 yr old decided to move in with his dad this school year. My 2 younger special needs kids are alot for me to handle and the older ones even though we try still lose out. It is unavoidable. All we can do is the best we can do.

fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

Liza

Both of my girls have CF. The younger one always doing better than the older one.

Here's my take on the situation...

Abbi is only 7. She doesn't really know how to express her worries and may not even know that she is worried. Depending on your son's health since he was born, she may be feeling your stress, worries and concerns about his health. You say he's going to have surgery soon, she may be worried about that too. Have you tried talking to her about what or if something may be worrying her? Yes, she's only seven but you can still talk to her about it. Do you and your husband (or anyone else) talk about your sons health when you think Abbi is not paying attention? Not that you want to keep his health a secret, but if she is overhearing your concern or worries and you think she's playing or not listening, she's still absorbing it. If he's sick often or even been hospitalized and things haven't been explained to her, she's probably frightened. A stomach-ache is a common way for this to show. You know how you can feel sick to your stomach when you are realy nervous about something? It's the same for her. Kids that worry alot frequently have stomach issues. Unfortunantly no amount of pepto bismol will help.

Does her teacher know that your son has CF? It is a good idea to let her know if she doesn't. Alert her to when there are issues going on with his health so that she can be aware to Abbi's reactions while at school. Just like you would let them know about the loss of a family member whether it be a human or pet, a divorce or deploying parent. It will help explain any unusual behavior.

She may just be a worrier. Some kids are, even without a "sick" sibling. I have a friend who's daughter was a worrier. She would get sick to her stomach worrying about things. Even at just 6 & 7, she'd worry about tests, being late for school, missing school, anything. And she was driven to school! Later on when the girls rode their bikes to school around the 3rd grade (her, her sister and my Anna) they left a good 20 minutes before the bell she'd still worry. The school was about one block down and across the street and only took about 5 minutes to walk.

If it's your son's CF, has CF "stuff",(hospitalizations, IV's, surgeries) been explained to her, maybe talking to the child life people at your son's hospital and/or the social worker. The people in child life are perfect to explain procedures to kids, be it the patient or sibling. They know how to explain just enough to a sibling so as not to scare them to death but let them know this "stuff" is to make their sibling better.

As she gets older, she may decide what she wants to know and what she doesn't. When Anna had her transplant, Rachel was due to come out to CA to be there, but an infection prevented her from coming. We took lots of pictures but it was about 6 months before she could look at any and she still will not look at the ones of Anna holding her old lungs or of her incision. Not because of the grossness factor, but she says "if it was anyone else but her sister". She has seen her scar and is fine with that.

Then lastly, part of it may just be the need for attention. Not to imply you are not spending enough time with your daughter but try and think about it from a 7yr olds perspective. You have a new baby brother, they get lots of attention anyway, then they are sick so they get extra attention whether it be hospitalizations or just routine CF care, treatments, making sure they take their enzymes etc.

I hope something here helps shed a light on Abbi's issues. I so hope it's something simple and easily taken care of, like just talking and maybe some special just "mom and Abbi time". Good luck with Abbi and with your son's surgery next week.

Liza

Both of my girls have CF. The younger one always doing better than the older one.

Abbi is only 7. She doesn't really know how to express her worries and may not even know that she is worried. Depending on your son's health since he was born, she may be feeling your stress, worries and concerns about his health. You say he's going to have surgery soon, she may be worried about that too. Have you tried talking to her about what or if something may be worrying her? Yes, she's only seven but you can still talk to her about it. Do you and your husband (or anyone else) talk about your sons health when you think Abbi is not paying attention? Not that you want to keep his health a secret, but if she is overhearing your concern or worries and you think she's playing or not listening, she's still absorbing it. If he's sick often or even been hospitalized and things haven't been explained to her, she's probably frightened. A stomach-ache is a common way for this to show. You know how you can feel sick to your stomach when you are realy nervous about something? It's the same for her. Kids that worry alot frequently have stomach issues. Unfortunantly no amount of pepto bismol will help.

Does her teacher know that your son has CF? It is a good idea to let her know if she doesn't. Alert her to when there are issues going on with his health so that she can be aware to Abbi's reactions while at school. Just like you would let them know about the loss of a family member whether it be a human or pet, a divorce or deploying parent. It will help explain any unusual behavior.

She may just be a worrier. Some kids are, even without a "sick" sibling. I have a friend who's daughter was a worrier. She would get sick to her stomach worrying about things. Even at just 6 & 7, she'd worry about tests, being late for school, missing school, anything. And she was driven to school! Later on when the girls rode their bikes to school around the 3rd grade (her, her sister and my Anna) they left a good 20 minutes before the bell she'd still worry. The school was about one block down and across the street and only took about 5 minutes to walk.

If it's your son's CF, has CF "stuff",(hospitalizations, IV's, surgeries) been explained to her, maybe talking to the child life people at your son's hospital and/or the social worker. The people in child life are perfect to explain procedures to kids, be it the patient or sibling. They know how to explain just enough to a sibling so as not to scare them to death but let them know this "stuff" is to make their sibling better.

As she gets older, she may decide what she wants to know and what she doesn't. When Anna had her transplant, Rachel was due to come out to CA to be there, but an infection prevented her from coming. We took lots of pictures but it was about 6 months before she could look at any and she still will not look at the ones of Anna holding her old lungs or of her incision. Not because of the grossness factor, but she says "if it was anyone else but her sister". She has seen her scar and is fine with that.

Then lastly, part of it may just be the need for attention. Not to imply you are not spending enough time with your daughter but try and think about it from a 7yr olds perspective. You have a new baby brother, they get lots of attention anyway, then they are sick so they get extra attention whether it be hospitalizations or just routine CF care, treatments, making sure they take their enzymes etc.

I hope something here helps shed a light on Abbi's issues. I so hope it's something simple and easily taken care of, like just talking and maybe some special just "mom and Abbi time". Good luck with Abbi and with your son's surgery next week.

Liza

Liza

Liza

<br />
<br />Here's my take on the situation...
<br />
<br />Abbi is only 7. She doesn't really know how to express her worries and may not even know that she is worried. Depending on your son's health since he was born, she may be feeling your stress, worries and concerns about his health. You say he's going to have surgery soon, she may be worried about that too. Have you tried talking to her about what or if something may be worrying her? Yes, she's only seven but you can still talk to her about it. Do you and your husband (or anyone else) talk about your sons health when you think Abbi is not paying attention? Not that you want to keep his health a secret, but if she is overhearing your concern or worries and you think she's playing or not listening, she's still absorbing it. If he's sick often or even been hospitalized and things haven't been explained to her, she's probably frightened. A stomach-ache is a common way for this to show. You know how you can feel sick to your stomach when you are realy nervous about something? It's the same for her. Kids that worry alot frequently have stomach issues. Unfortunantly no amount of pepto bismol will help.
<br />
<br />Does her teacher know that your son has CF? It is a good idea to let her know if she doesn't. Alert her to when there are issues going on with his health so that she can be aware to Abbi's reactions while at school. Just like you would let them know about the loss of a family member whether it be a human or pet, a divorce or deploying parent. It will help explain any unusual behavior.
<br />
<br />She may just be a worrier. Some kids are, even without a "sick" sibling. I have a friend who's daughter was a worrier. She would get sick to her stomach worrying about things. Even at just 6 & 7, she'd worry about tests, being late for school, missing school, anything. And she was driven to school! Later on when the girls rode their bikes to school around the 3rd grade (her, her sister and my Anna) they left a good 20 minutes before the bell she'd still worry. The school was about one block down and across the street and only took about 5 minutes to walk.
<br />
<br />If it's your son's CF, has CF "stuff",(hospitalizations, IV's, surgeries) been explained to her, maybe talking to the child life people at your son's hospital and/or the social worker. The people in child life are perfect to explain procedures to kids, be it the patient or sibling. They know how to explain just enough to a sibling so as not to scare them to death but let them know this "stuff" is to make their sibling better.
<br />
<br />As she gets older, she may decide what she wants to know and what she doesn't. When Anna had her transplant, Rachel was due to come out to CA to be there, but an infection prevented her from coming. We took lots of pictures but it was about 6 months before she could look at any and she still will not look at the ones of Anna holding her old lungs or of her incision. Not because of the grossness factor, but she says "if it was anyone else but her sister". She has seen her scar and is fine with that.
<br />
<br />Then lastly, part of it may just be the need for attention. Not to imply you are not spending enough time with your daughter but try and think about it from a 7yr olds perspective. You have a new baby brother, they get lots of attention anyway, then they are sick so they get extra attention whether it be hospitalizations or just routine CF care, treatments, making sure they take their enzymes etc.
<br />
<br />I hope something here helps shed a light on Abbi's issues. I so hope it's something simple and easily taken care of, like just talking and maybe some special just "mom and Abbi time". Good luck with Abbi and with your son's surgery next week.
<br />
<br />
<br />

M

Mommafirst

My 7 year old is very sensitive and has had intermittent emotional issues surrounding the CF. I actually talked with our CF social worker and she met with him and gave us information about a sibling support group at the Children's Hospital. We haven't gone, because he's doing better, but its always an option.

I think these are normal coping feelings. He spents a lot of time telling me how unfair it is that my dd gets things he doesn't (like ice cream even if she doesn't eat her dinner), its very hard to help them understand.

M

Mommafirst

My 7 year old is very sensitive and has had intermittent emotional issues surrounding the CF. I actually talked with our CF social worker and she met with him and gave us information about a sibling support group at the Children's Hospital. We haven't gone, because he's doing better, but its always an option.

I think these are normal coping feelings. He spents a lot of time telling me how unfair it is that my dd gets things he doesn't (like ice cream even if she doesn't eat her dinner), its very hard to help them understand.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />I think these are normal coping feelings. He spents a lot of time telling me how unfair it is that my dd gets things he doesn't (like ice cream even if she doesn't eat her dinner), its very hard to help them understand.

V

valigirl21

This is a question close to my heart. My 12 year old has gone to spend some time at my sister's because she has been getting into all kinds of trouble looking for attention. Right now her brother has at least 5 appt. a month and all the meds and the autism on top of everything else he is so time consuming. She even goes so far as to threaten to kill herself when she gets in trouble or she feels like my son is getting too much attention. I know she won't do it, but it hurts just to know she feels so left out. Lisa's links were awesome and I'm going to try out some things. Thanks,Christi,for putting this major issue out there.

V

valigirl21

This is a question close to my heart. My 12 year old has gone to spend some time at my sister's because she has been getting into all kinds of trouble looking for attention. Right now her brother has at least 5 appt. a month and all the meds and the autism on top of everything else he is so time consuming. She even goes so far as to threaten to kill herself when she gets in trouble or she feels like my son is getting too much attention. I know she won't do it, but it hurts just to know she feels so left out. Lisa's links were awesome and I'm going to try out some things. Thanks,Christi,for putting this major issue out there.

V

valigirl21

V

valigirl21

V

valigirl21