Sibling issues

ashton2005

Not a problem Valerie. I was definitely hoping that there were others out there dealing with the same thing. My 7 year old goes in spurts like last night and this morning and once she got to school yesterday she was fine! We are definitely going to try some of the things on the wonderful website lisa posted for us hopefully we all can get at least a little peace at home! Thank you all again

ashton2005

Not a problem Valerie. I was definitely hoping that there were others out there dealing with the same thing. My 7 year old goes in spurts like last night and this morning and once she got to school yesterday she was fine! We are definitely going to try some of the things on the wonderful website lisa posted for us hopefully we all can get at least a little peace at home! Thank you all again

ashton2005

ashton2005

ashton2005

LisaGreene

Thanks Christi and Valerie for your kind comments on the links on siblings. I hope things are going better for you Christi. How was your High School Musical date?

I wanted to let you know that you inspired me to have some experts talk about this issue with us (via teleconference). I hope you can join us.

It's next Tuesday eve - Nov 18- at 6:00 to 6:30pm Pacific Time (9-9:30 EST) for a free teleconference to discuss sibling issues for kids with CF and other special healthcare needs.

I'll be talking with Foster Cline MD (child psychiatrist and co-founder of Love and Logic) and Don Meyers of SibShops about the issues that siblings of a child with special healthcare needs face and what we parents can do to support them to cope well.

Don has a wonderful program specifically for siblings and has worked with families for years. He will give us many good ideas.

Here's the link to sign up for the free teleconference and to read the article we'll discuss: <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.parentingchildrenwithhealthissues.citymax.com/BlogTalkArticle.html">http://www.parentingchildrenwi...m/BlogTalkArticle.html</a>

Just listen in or feel free to ask a question during the Q&A at the end.

And please send me your questions even if you can't join us. I'll send you the recording. It really helps us to have some questions ahead of time. You can either post them here or send me a private email.

I look forward to talking with you!
Hugs,
Lisa

PS: Here's an excerpt from Don's article which is posted on our website at www.ParentingChildrenWithHealthIssues.com:

<b>What Siblings Would Like Parents and Service Providers to Know</b>
In the United States, there are over six million people who have special health, developmental, and mental health concerns. Most of these people have typically-developing brothers and sisters. Brothers and sisters are too important to ignore, if for only these reasons:

. These brothers and sisters will be in the lives of family members with special needs longer than anyone. Brothers and sisters will be there after parents are gone and special education services are a distant memory. If they are provided with support and information, they can help their sibs live dignified lives from childhood to their senior years.

. Throughout their lives, brothers and sisters share many of the concerns that parents of children with special needs experience, including isolation, a need for information, guilt, concerns about the future, and caregiving demands. Brothers and sisters also face issues that are uniquely theirs including resentment, peer issues, embarrassment, and pressure to achieve.

Despite the important and life-long roles they will play in the lives of their siblings who have special needs, even the most family-friendly agencies often overlook brothers and sisters.

© The Sibling Support Project. All rights reserved.

LisaGreene

Thanks Christi and Valerie for your kind comments on the links on siblings. I hope things are going better for you Christi. How was your High School Musical date?

I wanted to let you know that you inspired me to have some experts talk about this issue with us (via teleconference). I hope you can join us.

It's next Tuesday eve - Nov 18- at 6:00 to 6:30pm Pacific Time (9-9:30 EST) for a free teleconference to discuss sibling issues for kids with CF and other special healthcare needs.

I'll be talking with Foster Cline MD (child psychiatrist and co-founder of Love and Logic) and Don Meyers of SibShops about the issues that siblings of a child with special healthcare needs face and what we parents can do to support them to cope well.

Don has a wonderful program specifically for siblings and has worked with families for years. He will give us many good ideas.

Here's the link to sign up for the free teleconference and to read the article we'll discuss: <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.parentingchildrenwithhealthissues.citymax.com/BlogTalkArticle.html">http://www.parentingchildrenwi...m/BlogTalkArticle.html</a>

And please send me your questions even if you can't join us. I'll send you the recording. It really helps us to have some questions ahead of time. You can either post them here or send me a private email.

Hugs,
Lisa

PS: Here's an excerpt from Don's article which is posted on our website at www.ParentingChildrenWithHealthIssues.com:

In the United States, there are over six million people who have special health, developmental, and mental health concerns. Most of these people have typically-developing brothers and sisters. Brothers and sisters are too important to ignore, if for only these reasons:

. These brothers and sisters will be in the lives of family members with special needs longer than anyone. Brothers and sisters will be there after parents are gone and special education services are a distant memory. If they are provided with support and information, they can help their sibs live dignified lives from childhood to their senior years.

. Throughout their lives, brothers and sisters share many of the concerns that parents of children with special needs experience, including isolation, a need for information, guilt, concerns about the future, and caregiving demands. Brothers and sisters also face issues that are uniquely theirs including resentment, peer issues, embarrassment, and pressure to achieve.

Despite the important and life-long roles they will play in the lives of their siblings who have special needs, even the most family-friendly agencies often overlook brothers and sisters.

LisaGreene

Hugs,
Lisa

LisaGreene

Hugs,
Lisa

LisaGreene

<br />
<br />I wanted to let you know that you inspired me to have some experts talk about this issue with us (via teleconference). I hope you can join us.
<br />
<br />It's next Tuesday eve - Nov 18- at 6:00 to 6:30pm Pacific Time (9-9:30 EST) for a free teleconference to discuss sibling issues for kids with CF and other special healthcare needs.
<br />
<br />I'll be talking with Foster Cline MD (child psychiatrist and co-founder of Love and Logic) and Don Meyers of SibShops about the issues that siblings of a child with special healthcare needs face and what we parents can do to support them to cope well.
<br />
<br />Don has a wonderful program specifically for siblings and has worked with families for years. He will give us many good ideas.
<br />
<br />Here's the link to sign up for the free teleconference and to read the article we'll discuss: <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.parentingchildrenwithhealthissues.citymax.com/BlogTalkArticle.html">http://www.parentingchildrenwi...m/BlogTalkArticle.html</a>
<br />
<br />Just listen in or feel free to ask a question during the Q&A at the end.
<br />
<br />And please send me your questions even if you can't join us. I'll send you the recording. It really helps us to have some questions ahead of time. You can either post them here or send me a private email.
<br />
<br />I look forward to talking with you!
<br />Hugs,
<br />Lisa
<br />
<br />PS: Here's an excerpt from Don's article which is posted on our website at www.ParentingChildrenWithHealthIssues.com:
<br />
<br /><b>What Siblings Would Like Parents and Service Providers to Know</b>
<br />In the United States, there are over six million people who have special health, developmental, and mental health concerns. Most of these people have typically-developing brothers and sisters. Brothers and sisters are too important to ignore, if for only these reasons:
<br />
<br />. These brothers and sisters will be in the lives of family members with special needs longer than anyone. Brothers and sisters will be there after parents are gone and special education services are a distant memory. If they are provided with support and information, they can help their sibs live dignified lives from childhood to their senior years.
<br />
<br />. Throughout their lives, brothers and sisters share many of the concerns that parents of children with special needs experience, including isolation, a need for information, guilt, concerns about the future, and caregiving demands. Brothers and sisters also face issues that are uniquely theirs including resentment, peer issues, embarrassment, and pressure to achieve.
<br />
<br />Despite the important and life-long roles they will play in the lives of their siblings who have special needs, even the most family-friendly agencies often overlook brothers and sisters.
<br />
<br />© The Sibling Support Project. All rights reserved.

serendipity730

I see that Lisa posted about the sibling support project. If you go on their website, you will learn about what are called "Sibshops". They are workshops for siblings of kids with special needs (either medical or developmental). Sibshops are run by training professionals all over the country - you can find out if their is one near you on the website.

serendipity730

I see that Lisa posted about the sibling support project. If you go on their website, you will learn about what are called "Sibshops". They are workshops for siblings of kids with special needs (either medical or developmental). Sibshops are run by training professionals all over the country - you can find out if their is one near you on the website.

serendipity730

serendipity730

serendipity730

Transplantmommy

I don't have a lot to contribute to because everyone gave you great advice and we didn't really have problems with my siblings doing this. We all had our own things to do growing up and my Mom would go to our sports/concerts/plays each and every time that she could so it kept us all equal. I was in the hospital a little bit when I was younger but it got worse when I was older and my siblings were old enough to understand what was going on and why I was in the hospital. It gets better as your kids get older (or at least it did for my family).

As for your daughter breaking down and crying for you....I was about 23 (out of my Mom's house for 6 years) when I blacked out in my bathroom in the middle of the night and instead of calling out for my husband (who was sleeping only a few rooms away) I started crying for my Mom (who was 90 minutes away). I think that when a child has that special bond with one parent or the other, they always want their parents there when something does not seem right to them. It gives them a certain comfort that no on else can give them.

Transplantmommy

I don't have a lot to contribute to because everyone gave you great advice and we didn't really have problems with my siblings doing this. We all had our own things to do growing up and my Mom would go to our sports/concerts/plays each and every time that she could so it kept us all equal. I was in the hospital a little bit when I was younger but it got worse when I was older and my siblings were old enough to understand what was going on and why I was in the hospital. It gets better as your kids get older (or at least it did for my family).

As for your daughter breaking down and crying for you....I was about 23 (out of my Mom's house for 6 years) when I blacked out in my bathroom in the middle of the night and instead of calling out for my husband (who was sleeping only a few rooms away) I started crying for my Mom (who was 90 minutes away). I think that when a child has that special bond with one parent or the other, they always want their parents there when something does not seem right to them. It gives them a certain comfort that no on else can give them.

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

<br />
<br />As for your daughter breaking down and crying for you....I was about 23 (out of my Mom's house for 6 years) when I blacked out in my bathroom in the middle of the night and instead of calling out for my husband (who was sleeping only a few rooms away) I started crying for my Mom (who was 90 minutes away). I think that when a child has that special bond with one parent or the other, they always want their parents there when something does not seem right to them. It gives them a certain comfort that no on else can give them.