Sinus Surgery, what can I expect?

Darinsmom

Hi, for those who had the surgery, did you cough a lot because of your sinuses? My son Darin is 9 and he always seems sniffly. He never had a CT scan to see if he has a blockage. He is on singular and zyrtec which I heard can block your nasal passages. I didn't know that. Thanks.

Laurie

Darinsmom

Hi, for those who had the surgery, did you cough a lot because of your sinuses? My son Darin is 9 and he always seems sniffly. He never had a CT scan to see if he has a blockage. He is on singular and zyrtec which I heard can block your nasal passages. I didn't know that. Thanks.

Laurie

Darinsmom

Laurie

Darinsmom

Laurie

Darinsmom

Laurie

treehugger

I have 2 sinus surgeries in the hospital and several in the office. One was a complete router job and the other they drilled my frontal sinus to increase drainage. I think the younger you are the better you should recover. The amount of pain will depend to some degree on what he/she is clearing out. Are all your sinuses going to get cleaned and are all drainage holes to be widened? How long will the surgery take? I was in alot of pain after both but I think it was worth it in the long run. Success may depend on the degree of scar tissue formation that may reblock drainage. Will you have to go in for debridement (periodic cutting of scar tissue) after the surgery? For me that was painful too.

Treehugger

treehugger

I have 2 sinus surgeries in the hospital and several in the office. One was a complete router job and the other they drilled my frontal sinus to increase drainage. I think the younger you are the better you should recover. The amount of pain will depend to some degree on what he/she is clearing out. Are all your sinuses going to get cleaned and are all drainage holes to be widened? How long will the surgery take? I was in alot of pain after both but I think it was worth it in the long run. Success may depend on the degree of scar tissue formation that may reblock drainage. Will you have to go in for debridement (periodic cutting of scar tissue) after the surgery? For me that was painful too.

Treehugger

treehugger

Treehugger

treehugger

Treehugger

treehugger

Treehugger

Diane

Hi Caitlin,
I had sinus surgery about 11 years ago. I had a large amount of polyps and could not breathe out of my nose well at all one side was always blocked completely. The ENT also told me they were there so long they had pushed my septum off to the side. I had no idea about all that since it certainly didnt show. After the surgery i had trouble waking up and when they wheeled me back to my room as soon as they moved me onto the bed I began to throw up the blood that i swallowed. Dr. said that was normal. The packing they removed the next morning was uncomfortable coming out but it was exactly as the Dr. said it would be. He said it would feel like an electric shock that will only last a second. He was right. I went home in 3 days . I got cepacia from that hospital stay, so i will urge you to make sure you disinfect everything in that room that you will touch, <b>EVERYTHING</b> you can think of. I also want to warn you not to use the mouthwash they may provide with their usual care package ( you know, the toothbrush tiny tube of toothpaste, comb, etc.) I read about the mouthwash called "Dawn Mist" that contained cepacia and it was right around the time i was in that hospital, ao i truely dont know which gave it to me ....the filthy room or the mouthwash, but better safe than sorry...............

Diane

Hi Caitlin,
I had sinus surgery about 11 years ago. I had a large amount of polyps and could not breathe out of my nose well at all one side was always blocked completely. The ENT also told me they were there so long they had pushed my septum off to the side. I had no idea about all that since it certainly didnt show. After the surgery i had trouble waking up and when they wheeled me back to my room as soon as they moved me onto the bed I began to throw up the blood that i swallowed. Dr. said that was normal. The packing they removed the next morning was uncomfortable coming out but it was exactly as the Dr. said it would be. He said it would feel like an electric shock that will only last a second. He was right. I went home in 3 days . I got cepacia from that hospital stay, so i will urge you to make sure you disinfect everything in that room that you will touch, <b>EVERYTHING</b> you can think of. I also want to warn you not to use the mouthwash they may provide with their usual care package ( you know, the toothbrush tiny tube of toothpaste, comb, etc.) I read about the mouthwash called "Dawn Mist" that contained cepacia and it was right around the time i was in that hospital, ao i truely dont know which gave it to me ....the filthy room or the mouthwash, but better safe than sorry...............

Diane

Hi Caitlin,

Diane

Hi Caitlin,

Diane

Hi Caitlin,