skin allergy test

Nightwriter

My doctor does skin pricking on the back. She told me that kids perceive the mild pokes as tickles and some kids laugh. But Sharon, I also had extremely painful tests on my arm by another doctor. I agree, no kid should have to go through that! He told me I was allergic to lots of things when there was the slightest redness which I thought was irritation (and was).

My doctor asked if that guy did a control with histamine (which most, not all people react to) and he had not. So she said it is impossible to tell any results.

So I recently had my doctor retest me. Last time, I had a strong reaction to the histamine control. This time slight. Which would also indicate that drugs that are histamine blockers may not work that well on me at the present time. I was slight allergic to only 3 things, one being soy, which I eat all day. But now because I know, when I am sick, I cut it out as much as I can.

I will bet you that my doctor does not use the type of allergy test that you had, because there is a danger of sensitizing people if you get too much of theses substances (making the allergy worse). I remember my doctor saying that that other doctors tests could have made me much more sensitive. I have been more sensitive in the past 3 years, but I chalked that up to a neighborhood fire that was so bad to I had to evacuate. Now I am wondering.

My doctor will not give allergy shots because of the possibility of making allergies worse. Especially for sensitive people. And she says that she really doesn't have the need to. Her patients do really well with other things (meds, supplements, environmental changes)

The shots also have preservatives that sensitive people may react to. She will give a few shots to a child who is not that sensitive and may just be allergic to their dog. She would rather teach people to avoid the allergens -- and since so many things we react to aren't always real "allergens' for many people, avoidance, air filters, and allergy protection measures work really well.

Nightwriter

My doctor does skin pricking on the back. She told me that kids perceive the mild pokes as tickles and some kids laugh. But Sharon, I also had extremely painful tests on my arm by another doctor. I agree, no kid should have to go through that! He told me I was allergic to lots of things when there was the slightest redness which I thought was irritation (and was).

My doctor asked if that guy did a control with histamine (which most, not all people react to) and he had not. So she said it is impossible to tell any results.

So I recently had my doctor retest me. Last time, I had a strong reaction to the histamine control. This time slight. Which would also indicate that drugs that are histamine blockers may not work that well on me at the present time. I was slight allergic to only 3 things, one being soy, which I eat all day. But now because I know, when I am sick, I cut it out as much as I can.

I will bet you that my doctor does not use the type of allergy test that you had, because there is a danger of sensitizing people if you get too much of theses substances (making the allergy worse). I remember my doctor saying that that other doctors tests could have made me much more sensitive. I have been more sensitive in the past 3 years, but I chalked that up to a neighborhood fire that was so bad to I had to evacuate. Now I am wondering.

My doctor will not give allergy shots because of the possibility of making allergies worse. Especially for sensitive people. And she says that she really doesn't have the need to. Her patients do really well with other things (meds, supplements, environmental changes)

The shots also have preservatives that sensitive people may react to. She will give a few shots to a child who is not that sensitive and may just be allergic to their dog. She would rather teach people to avoid the allergens -- and since so many things we react to aren't always real "allergens' for many people, avoidance, air filters, and allergy protection measures work really well.

Nightwriter

Nightwriter

Nightwriter

<br />
<br />My doctor asked if that guy did a control with histamine (which most, not all people react to) and he had not. So she said it is impossible to tell any results.
<br />
<br />So I recently had my doctor retest me. Last time, I had a strong reaction to the histamine control. This time slight. Which would also indicate that drugs that are histamine blockers may not work that well on me at the present time. I was slight allergic to only 3 things, one being soy, which I eat all day. But now because I know, when I am sick, I cut it out as much as I can.
<br />
<br />I will bet you that my doctor does not use the type of allergy test that you had, because there is a danger of sensitizing people if you get too much of theses substances (making the allergy worse). I remember my doctor saying that that other doctors tests could have made me much more sensitive. I have been more sensitive in the past 3 years, but I chalked that up to a neighborhood fire that was so bad to I had to evacuate. Now I am wondering.
<br />
<br />My doctor will not give allergy shots because of the possibility of making allergies worse. Especially for sensitive people. And she says that she really doesn't have the need to. Her patients do really well with other things (meds, supplements, environmental changes)
<br />
<br />The shots also have preservatives that sensitive people may react to. She will give a few shots to a child who is not that sensitive and may just be allergic to their dog. She would rather teach people to avoid the allergens -- and since so many things we react to aren't always real "allergens' for many people, avoidance, air filters, and allergy protection measures work really well.

reagansmom

We had our 5 year old w/o CF allergy tested and it was horrible. There is no "kid-friendly" version. They get just as many pokes as adults. I felt so sorry for him...he was absolutely hysterical. I had to call his Dad over from work to help hold him still for the second round (the syringes). By the time it was over I felt like vomiting. I regret putting him through all that.

So my advice would be to start an allergy journal to see if there are any red flags. Try anti-allergen bedding, nasal rinses, fragrance free products, etc. I realize that CF compicates things allergy-wise, but I just treat my daughter w/CF as if she has them and needs to avoid the typical triggers anyway.

reagansmom

We had our 5 year old w/o CF allergy tested and it was horrible. There is no "kid-friendly" version. They get just as many pokes as adults. I felt so sorry for him...he was absolutely hysterical. I had to call his Dad over from work to help hold him still for the second round (the syringes). By the time it was over I felt like vomiting. I regret putting him through all that.

So my advice would be to start an allergy journal to see if there are any red flags. Try anti-allergen bedding, nasal rinses, fragrance free products, etc. I realize that CF compicates things allergy-wise, but I just treat my daughter w/CF as if she has them and needs to avoid the typical triggers anyway.

reagansmom

reagansmom

reagansmom

<br />
<br />So my advice would be to start an allergy journal to see if there are any red flags. Try anti-allergen bedding, nasal rinses, fragrance free products, etc. I realize that CF compicates things allergy-wise, but I just treat my daughter w/CF as if she has them and needs to avoid the typical triggers anyway.
<br />

MOME2RT

Thank you so much for all the info! Reece has been on Flovent 44 for years & just started Zyrtec last year. It would be nice if they could come up with something less invasive to test. It makes me a litle hesitant to put him through all that, but like you said it will be worth it.

MOME2RT

Thank you so much for all the info! Reece has been on Flovent 44 for years & just started Zyrtec last year. It would be nice if they could come up with something less invasive to test. It makes me a litle hesitant to put him through all that, but like you said it will be worth it.

MOME2RT

MOME2RT

MOME2RT

M

Mommafirst

Hey Leah --

My 7 year old just had allergy skin testing done last week. He had the pricks/scratch test on his back. It made him itchy, really really itchy, but he was a trooper. It was really not that big of a deal and we are both really glad he did it. He is allergic to practically everything they tested for (all except for dogs). Now we have a good plan for allergy management and a few back up plans as well.

As for time, it took about an hour and a half total.

If you want any more specific information to prepare Reece, let me know.

M

Mommafirst

Hey Leah --

My 7 year old just had allergy skin testing done last week. He had the pricks/scratch test on his back. It made him itchy, really really itchy, but he was a trooper. It was really not that big of a deal and we are both really glad he did it. He is allergic to practically everything they tested for (all except for dogs). Now we have a good plan for allergy management and a few back up plans as well.

M

Mommafirst

Hey Leah --

M

Mommafirst

Hey Leah --

M

Mommafirst

Hey Leah --
<br />
<br />My 7 year old just had allergy skin testing done last week. He had the pricks/scratch test on his back. It made him itchy, really really itchy, but he was a trooper. It was really not that big of a deal and we are both really glad he did it. He is allergic to practically everything they tested for (all except for dogs). Now we have a good plan for allergy management and a few back up plans as well.
<br />
<br />As for time, it took about an hour and a half total.
<br />
<br />If you want any more specific information to prepare Reece, let me know.