southwest airlines?

JORDYSMOM

Maybe they like you a little too much Liza. LOL

We haven't flown with Jordan's vest, but my boss has a machine for his sleep apnea that he carries with him. He always uses Southwest Airlines. He's never had any trouble taking it on the plane with him. It's about the size of Jordan's vest and is in it's own case, etc.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

We haven't flown with Jordan's vest, but my boss has a machine for his sleep apnea that he carries with him. He always uses Southwest Airlines. He's never had any trouble taking it on the plane with him. It's about the size of Jordan's vest and is in it's own case, etc.

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

Stacey

JORDYSMOM

<br />
<br />We haven't flown with Jordan's vest, but my boss has a machine for his sleep apnea that he carries with him. He always uses Southwest Airlines. He's never had any trouble taking it on the plane with him. It's about the size of Jordan's vest and is in it's own case, etc.
<br />
<br />Stacey

lightNlife

I've found Southwest Airlines to be one of the best when it comes to accommodating medical equipment. They were very helpful and kind when I brought along my oxygen concentrator on our NY trip.

I fully agree with others who said you should have a doctor's note. A note briefly describing CF along with a list of your medications is one of the best things you can do to ensure things go smoothly with TSA and the flight attendants. Also, if you have your doctor's note, you can be allowed to preboard the flight so that you have additional time to situate your medical stuff in the bins and stow them under the seat. Be aware though that the flight attendants are not permitted to lift your heavy equipment, so be sure you can hoist it up into the overhead bin yourself, or have a travel companion do it for you.

Side note: Southwest is actually one of the CF Foundation's corporate sponsors

lightNlife

I've found Southwest Airlines to be one of the best when it comes to accommodating medical equipment. They were very helpful and kind when I brought along my oxygen concentrator on our NY trip.

I fully agree with others who said you should have a doctor's note. A note briefly describing CF along with a list of your medications is one of the best things you can do to ensure things go smoothly with TSA and the flight attendants. Also, if you have your doctor's note, you can be allowed to preboard the flight so that you have additional time to situate your medical stuff in the bins and stow them under the seat. Be aware though that the flight attendants are not permitted to lift your heavy equipment, so be sure you can hoist it up into the overhead bin yourself, or have a travel companion do it for you.

lightNlife

lightNlife

lightNlife

<br />
<br />I fully agree with others who said you should have a doctor's note. A note briefly describing CF along with a list of your medications is one of the best things you can do to ensure things go smoothly with TSA and the flight attendants. Also, if you have your doctor's note, you can be allowed to preboard the flight so that you have additional time to situate your medical stuff in the bins and stow them under the seat. Be aware though that the flight attendants are not permitted to lift your heavy equipment, so be sure you can hoist it up into the overhead bin yourself, or have a travel companion do it for you.
<br />
<br />Side note: Southwest is actually one of the CF Foundation's corporate sponsors

ladybug

I always pre-board with my vest (even when I'm accompanied) as needing more time or assistance. I want to make sure it is over head in MY compartment as sometimes when you don't pre-board, you get a compartment way behind you and have to wait for the entire plane to get out before you can. To me, that is more time to get germs on me while everyone de-boards. Also, my CF nurse has suggested requesting a front of the plane seat when we check in, if we haven't already chosen our seats. Airline air cycles backward, so if you're in the front, you get less of the germy air. I also always wear a mask, but that may be a bit overkill.

With regard to the vest, federal law says the airline cannot count this as one of your carry on bags and we always have more than the allowed with the vest. I've never been asked why I have more or anything and have flown out of many airports in the U.S. They generally do a "spot check" of the bag its in and swipe it to make sure its not explosive, but that's it. I agree with Liza though about their local airport.... Whenever I fly out of there its a hassle. They take way too much time and effort and ask lots of questions. I notice this with smaller airports versus those who get a lot of traffic and probably see lots of medical devices (like Vegas where I live).

I agree a letter would be a great idea, but again, I've never had this and have never needed it either to go through security OR to preboard. I have been asked why I need to preboard and I just say I need assistance with my medical equipment. I think its actually illegal to have to disclose your disability to gate workers or flight attendants.

Oh, and with regard to assisting with putting it in the overhead bin... This is a point of contention with me. I travel alone a lot and every airline has been willing to help me when I preboard and I ask them to HELP me hoist it up. EXCEPT United. They were extremely rude and said they'd maybe "throw out their back" so couldn't help and to ask someone else. I then asked a flight attendant friend who said this is ridiculous. She said that is one of their duties to help board the plane! They often take bags from one comparment to another when making room and they do this on their own, without finding the owners of bags. They are also insured for things like throwing out their backs when hoisting luggage. I would be able to do it myself, but I"m so short and its very difficult to get it over my head....

Either way, I feel its ridiculous that they can help lift someone from a wheelchair into a seat (who is disabled), which is HEAVY, but when we need help with our medical equipment (also for a disability), she refused to help. Stupid.

Anyway, there is my soap box for today...

Happy Travels!!

ladybug

I always pre-board with my vest (even when I'm accompanied) as needing more time or assistance. I want to make sure it is over head in MY compartment as sometimes when you don't pre-board, you get a compartment way behind you and have to wait for the entire plane to get out before you can. To me, that is more time to get germs on me while everyone de-boards. Also, my CF nurse has suggested requesting a front of the plane seat when we check in, if we haven't already chosen our seats. Airline air cycles backward, so if you're in the front, you get less of the germy air. I also always wear a mask, but that may be a bit overkill.

With regard to the vest, federal law says the airline cannot count this as one of your carry on bags and we always have more than the allowed with the vest. I've never been asked why I have more or anything and have flown out of many airports in the U.S. They generally do a "spot check" of the bag its in and swipe it to make sure its not explosive, but that's it. I agree with Liza though about their local airport.... Whenever I fly out of there its a hassle. They take way too much time and effort and ask lots of questions. I notice this with smaller airports versus those who get a lot of traffic and probably see lots of medical devices (like Vegas where I live).

I agree a letter would be a great idea, but again, I've never had this and have never needed it either to go through security OR to preboard. I have been asked why I need to preboard and I just say I need assistance with my medical equipment. I think its actually illegal to have to disclose your disability to gate workers or flight attendants.

Oh, and with regard to assisting with putting it in the overhead bin... This is a point of contention with me. I travel alone a lot and every airline has been willing to help me when I preboard and I ask them to HELP me hoist it up. EXCEPT United. They were extremely rude and said they'd maybe "throw out their back" so couldn't help and to ask someone else. I then asked a flight attendant friend who said this is ridiculous. She said that is one of their duties to help board the plane! They often take bags from one comparment to another when making room and they do this on their own, without finding the owners of bags. They are also insured for things like throwing out their backs when hoisting luggage. I would be able to do it myself, but I"m so short and its very difficult to get it over my head....

Either way, I feel its ridiculous that they can help lift someone from a wheelchair into a seat (who is disabled), which is HEAVY, but when we need help with our medical equipment (also for a disability), she refused to help. Stupid.

Happy Travels!!

ladybug

Happy Travels!!

ladybug

Happy Travels!!

ladybug

<br />
<br />With regard to the vest, federal law says the airline cannot count this as one of your carry on bags and we always have more than the allowed with the vest. I've never been asked why I have more or anything and have flown out of many airports in the U.S. They generally do a "spot check" of the bag its in and swipe it to make sure its not explosive, but that's it. I agree with Liza though about their local airport.... Whenever I fly out of there its a hassle. They take way too much time and effort and ask lots of questions. I notice this with smaller airports versus those who get a lot of traffic and probably see lots of medical devices (like Vegas where I live).
<br />
<br />I agree a letter would be a great idea, but again, I've never had this and have never needed it either to go through security OR to preboard. I have been asked why I need to preboard and I just say I need assistance with my medical equipment. I think its actually illegal to have to disclose your disability to gate workers or flight attendants.
<br />
<br />Oh, and with regard to assisting with putting it in the overhead bin... This is a point of contention with me. I travel alone a lot and every airline has been willing to help me when I preboard and I ask them to HELP me hoist it up. EXCEPT United. They were extremely rude and said they'd maybe "throw out their back" so couldn't help and to ask someone else. I then asked a flight attendant friend who said this is ridiculous. She said that is one of their duties to help board the plane! They often take bags from one comparment to another when making room and they do this on their own, without finding the owners of bags. They are also insured for things like throwing out their backs when hoisting luggage. I would be able to do it myself, but I"m so short and its very difficult to get it over my head....
<br />
<br />Either way, I feel its ridiculous that they can help lift someone from a wheelchair into a seat (who is disabled), which is HEAVY, but when we need help with our medical equipment (also for a disability), she refused to help. Stupid.
<br />
<br />Anyway, there is my soap box for today...
<br />
<br />Happy Travels!!

musclemania70

Make sure you are not charged for the extra luggage as well!
They may try to have you pay for the vest but they CANNOT BY LAW CHARGE YOU! Something to keep in mind!

musclemania70

They may try to have you pay for the vest but they CANNOT BY LAW CHARGE YOU! Something to keep in mind!

musclemania70

musclemania70

musclemania70

<br />They may try to have you pay for the vest but they CANNOT BY LAW CHARGE YOU! Something to keep in mind!