SSDI...made too much $ in 2007

Kelli

OK, I get SSDI payments. Well I could make $10 K in 2007, I made $10,875 for the year. Well that puts me over the limit for monthly payments. (oops found that out too late)

So what happens now? Do I lose this benefit? I need it. I can't pay for IV's on my own. Will I lose Medicare as well? Will they look at household income?

I'm freaking out here. Has this happened to anyone? Can I appeal? I got a raise in August of 2007 (which ended up putting me over). Will I have to pay them back from Aug.?

I have no idea how this works.

Any help will be appreciated. By the way, I called SS today and we found the problem was in '07 and that I can't get an appt with them until 10-31-08.

Thanks for your help.
Kelli

Kelli

OK, I get SSDI payments. Well I could make $10 K in 2007, I made $10,875 for the year. Well that puts me over the limit for monthly payments. (oops found that out too late)

So what happens now? Do I lose this benefit? I need it. I can't pay for IV's on my own. Will I lose Medicare as well? Will they look at household income?

I'm freaking out here. Has this happened to anyone? Can I appeal? I got a raise in August of 2007 (which ended up putting me over). Will I have to pay them back from Aug.?

Any help will be appreciated. By the way, I called SS today and we found the problem was in '07 and that I can't get an appt with them until 10-31-08.

Thanks for your help.
Kelli

Kelli

Thanks for your help.
Kelli

Kelli

Thanks for your help.
Kelli

Kelli

<br />
<br />So what happens now? Do I lose this benefit? I need it. I can't pay for IV's on my own. Will I lose Medicare as well? Will they look at household income?
<br />
<br />I'm freaking out here. Has this happened to anyone? Can I appeal? I got a raise in August of 2007 (which ended up putting me over). Will I have to pay them back from Aug.?
<br />
<br />I have no idea how this works.
<br />
<br />Any help will be appreciated. By the way, I called SS today and we found the problem was in '07 and that I can't get an appt with them until 10-31-08.
<br />
<br />Thanks for your help.
<br />Kelli

Giggles

You can contact Beth Sufian and she can answer. She is an SSDI and SSI lawyer who also has CF. She has a hotline too to ask Medicare, SSI and SSDI questions. I would call her office and ask. YOu can google her to get the number.

Jennifer 36 years old with CF and CFRD

Giggles

You can contact Beth Sufian and she can answer. She is an SSDI and SSI lawyer who also has CF. She has a hotline too to ask Medicare, SSI and SSDI questions. I would call her office and ask. YOu can google her to get the number.

Giggles

Giggles

Giggles

<br />
<br />
<br />Jennifer 36 years old with CF and CFRD

Nightwriter

Kelli,

I'm sure this happens all the time. People going a little over the limit. In your meeting, bring your documentation about the raise. Show that you are still working part time. Bring documentation showing that you still qualify for SSDI: recent doctor's records, drug receipts for the IV meds (that alone will qualify you) and if you can get your doctor to give you a letter that states that you are still unable to work an 8 hour day due to complications from C.F. or whatever else that can help too.

Your Medicare will not stop. Even if you were to get a full time job tomorrow, they don't just take away Medicare. They know you may go through a "good period." I even recall that there is something where if someone goes back to work you can pay a small amount to keep it going, for a generous period of time, so that if you get sick again, you can resume Medicare without waiting 2 years again.

No reason to freak.

Additionally, you are allowed to earn over the limit for 9 months within a 5 year period without any problem. There are some other complicated rules about this, that you check on the Medicare site.

Nightwriter

Kelli,

I'm sure this happens all the time. People going a little over the limit. In your meeting, bring your documentation about the raise. Show that you are still working part time. Bring documentation showing that you still qualify for SSDI: recent doctor's records, drug receipts for the IV meds (that alone will qualify you) and if you can get your doctor to give you a letter that states that you are still unable to work an 8 hour day due to complications from C.F. or whatever else that can help too.

Your Medicare will not stop. Even if you were to get a full time job tomorrow, they don't just take away Medicare. They know you may go through a "good period." I even recall that there is something where if someone goes back to work you can pay a small amount to keep it going, for a generous period of time, so that if you get sick again, you can resume Medicare without waiting 2 years again.

No reason to freak.

Additionally, you are allowed to earn over the limit for 9 months within a 5 year period without any problem. There are some other complicated rules about this, that you check on the Medicare site.

Nightwriter

Kelli,

No reason to freak.

Nightwriter

Kelli,

No reason to freak.

Nightwriter

Kelli,
<br />
<br />I'm sure this happens all the time. People going a little over the limit. In your meeting, bring your documentation about the raise. Show that you are still working part time. Bring documentation showing that you still qualify for SSDI: recent doctor's records, drug receipts for the IV meds (that alone will qualify you) and if you can get your doctor to give you a letter that states that you are still unable to work an 8 hour day due to complications from C.F. or whatever else that can help too.
<br />
<br />Your Medicare will not stop. Even if you were to get a full time job tomorrow, they don't just take away Medicare. They know you may go through a "good period." I even recall that there is something where if someone goes back to work you can pay a small amount to keep it going, for a generous period of time, so that if you get sick again, you can resume Medicare without waiting 2 years again.
<br />
<br />No reason to freak.
<br />
<br />Additionally, you are allowed to earn over the limit for 9 months within a 5 year period without any problem. There are some other complicated rules about this, that you check on the Medicare site.

julie

Kelli, you need to break down what you earned per month (get your pay stubs, or request a copy from your employer).

In 2007 you could earn $640 a month and your benefits would not be affected <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=317&p_created=959362523&p_sid=CqnTZGfj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NDgsNDgmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PTEuMTA1JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=&p_topview=1
">http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cg...T0x&p_li=&p_topview=1
</a>
For any month that you went over that $670, it counts as a "trial work month". You can have 9 trial work periods in a 60 month rolling window. These trial work months need NOT be consecutive to add up.

julie

Kelli, you need to break down what you earned per month (get your pay stubs, or request a copy from your employer).

In 2007 you could earn $640 a month and your benefits would not be affected <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=317&p_created=959362523&p_sid=CqnTZGfj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NDgsNDgmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PTEuMTA1JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=&p_topview=1
</a>
For any month that you went over that $670, it counts as a "trial work month". You can have 9 trial work periods in a 60 month rolling window. These trial work months need NOT be consecutive to add up.

julie

</a>

julie

</a>

julie

<br />
<br />In 2007 you could earn $640 a month and your benefits would not be affected <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=317&p_created=959362523&p_sid=CqnTZGfj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NDgsNDgmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PTEuMTA1JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=&p_topview=1
</a><br />
<br />For any month that you went over that $670, it counts as a "trial work month". You can have 9 trial work periods in a 60 month rolling window. These trial work months need NOT be consecutive to add up.