staph vs. pseudomonas

S

sdelorenzo

I was just reading a number of posts from parents saying staph is more preferable to pseudomonas. I have heard that through the years. My daughter is 7 and has "only" cultured staph since birth. My son is 5 and has cultured pseudomonas for 4 years on and off and staph for 2 years.

We have taken our kids to a few clinics to get second opinions, Denver and Minnesota. This summer the Denver clinic did cat scans on my kids for the first time. My son's scan was excellent. My daughter's surprisingly was not good. It showed lots of issues - gas trappings, bronchiectasis. Basically, irreversible damage according to the Denver clinic that could have been prevented with regular treatment of bactrim. We were told 4 yrs ago at the MN clinic that she should be treated for staph to prevent damage, but my daughter regular cf dr disagreed. He said the same thing - staph keeps away pseudomonas.

I also spoke to another cf dr at a clinic in Syracuse, NY this summer. He said that they regularly treat their cf patients who culture staph with a high dose of bactrim. They feel that staph is becoming more aggressive. It appears to be the case for my family. My son has been on Tobi for pseudomonas and damage has not taken place. My daughter is only treated for her staph when she is coughing and has an infection (a few times a year). So 3/4 clinics I have dealt with disagree that staph is good. Just wanted to pass this along. Wish I had listened to MN years ago and we might have prevented some of my daughter's lung damage.
Sharon

S

sdelorenzo

I was just reading a number of posts from parents saying staph is more preferable to pseudomonas. I have heard that through the years. My daughter is 7 and has "only" cultured staph since birth. My son is 5 and has cultured pseudomonas for 4 years on and off and staph for 2 years.

We have taken our kids to a few clinics to get second opinions, Denver and Minnesota. This summer the Denver clinic did cat scans on my kids for the first time. My son's scan was excellent. My daughter's surprisingly was not good. It showed lots of issues - gas trappings, bronchiectasis. Basically, irreversible damage according to the Denver clinic that could have been prevented with regular treatment of bactrim. We were told 4 yrs ago at the MN clinic that she should be treated for staph to prevent damage, but my daughter regular cf dr disagreed. He said the same thing - staph keeps away pseudomonas.

I also spoke to another cf dr at a clinic in Syracuse, NY this summer. He said that they regularly treat their cf patients who culture staph with a high dose of bactrim. They feel that staph is becoming more aggressive. It appears to be the case for my family. My son has been on Tobi for pseudomonas and damage has not taken place. My daughter is only treated for her staph when she is coughing and has an infection (a few times a year). So 3/4 clinics I have dealt with disagree that staph is good. Just wanted to pass this along. Wish I had listened to MN years ago and we might have prevented some of my daughter's lung damage.
Sharon

S

sdelorenzo

Sharon

S

sdelorenzo

Sharon

S

sdelorenzo

<br />
<br />We have taken our kids to a few clinics to get second opinions, Denver and Minnesota. This summer the Denver clinic did cat scans on my kids for the first time. My son's scan was excellent. My daughter's surprisingly was not good. It showed lots of issues - gas trappings, bronchiectasis. Basically, irreversible damage according to the Denver clinic that could have been prevented with regular treatment of bactrim. We were told 4 yrs ago at the MN clinic that she should be treated for staph to prevent damage, but my daughter regular cf dr disagreed. He said the same thing - staph keeps away pseudomonas.
<br />
<br />I also spoke to another cf dr at a clinic in Syracuse, NY this summer. He said that they regularly treat their cf patients who culture staph with a high dose of bactrim. They feel that staph is becoming more aggressive. It appears to be the case for my family. My son has been on Tobi for pseudomonas and damage has not taken place. My daughter is only treated for her staph when she is coughing and has an infection (a few times a year). So 3/4 clinics I have dealt with disagree that staph is good. Just wanted to pass this along. Wish I had listened to MN years ago and we might have prevented some of my daughter's lung damage.
<br />Sharon
<br />

T

tammykrumrey

Sharon,

I AGREE with you 100%! I have been saying this same thing for the past few years. My daughter, Kayla, has never cultured anything but Staph and MRSA. She has lung damage/atlectiasis in her right apex. Her CT scans read "moderate bronchiectasis in the right upper lobe".

My younger daughter, Hannah, has cultured Staph and MRSA PLUS PA three times, and her lungs are picture perfect!

When I asked our CF Dr. which was one is the worst to have, and he said you don't want either one (of course). But there are some studies that are showing that MRSA/Staph is just not a good thing. Years ago...many years ago, the kiddos died really young, and most of the time they only had Staph (I read that, just can't remember where I read that at).

I will try to find the article about the MRSA and FEV decline and post it.

T

tammykrumrey

Sharon,

I AGREE with you 100%! I have been saying this same thing for the past few years. My daughter, Kayla, has never cultured anything but Staph and MRSA. She has lung damage/atlectiasis in her right apex. Her CT scans read "moderate bronchiectasis in the right upper lobe".

My younger daughter, Hannah, has cultured Staph and MRSA PLUS PA three times, and her lungs are picture perfect!

When I asked our CF Dr. which was one is the worst to have, and he said you don't want either one (of course). But there are some studies that are showing that MRSA/Staph is just not a good thing. Years ago...many years ago, the kiddos died really young, and most of the time they only had Staph (I read that, just can't remember where I read that at).

T

tammykrumrey

Sharon,

T

tammykrumrey

Sharon,

T

tammykrumrey

Sharon,
<br />
<br />I AGREE with you 100%! I have been saying this same thing for the past few years. My daughter, Kayla, has never cultured anything but Staph and MRSA. She has lung damage/atlectiasis in her right apex. Her CT scans read "moderate bronchiectasis in the right upper lobe".
<br />
<br />My younger daughter, Hannah, has cultured Staph and MRSA PLUS PA three times, and her lungs are picture perfect!
<br />
<br />When I asked our CF Dr. which was one is the worst to have, and he said you don't want either one (of course). But there are some studies that are showing that MRSA/Staph is just not a good thing. Years ago...many years ago, the kiddos died really young, and most of the time they only had Staph (I read that, just can't remember where I read that at).
<br />
<br />I will try to find the article about the MRSA and FEV decline and post it.

T

tammykrumrey

Found it:

Published ahead of print on July 31, 2008
Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2008, doi:10.1164/rccm.200802-327OC
This Article

Full Text (PDF)
Alert me when this article is cited
Alert me if a correction is posted

Services

Similar articles in this journal
Similar articles in PubMed
Alert me to new issues of the journal
Download to citation manager

Google Scholar

Articles by Dasenbrook, E. C
Articles by Boyle, M. P

PubMed

PubMed Citation
Articles by Boyle, M. P

Submitted on February 24, 2008
Accepted on July 31, 2008

Persistent Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus Aureus and Rate of FEV1 Decline in Cystic Fibrosis
Elliott C Dasenbrook1*, Christian A Merlo1, Marie Diener-West2, Noah Lechtzin1, and Michael P Boyle1
1 Department of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA, 2 Departments of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, The Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA

* To whom correspondence should be addressed. E-mail: edasenb1@jhmi.edu.

Rationale: The prevalence in cystic fibrosis (CF) of respiratory cultures with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) has dramatically increased over the last ten years, but the effect of MRSA on FEV1 decline in CF is unknown. Objective: To determine the association between MRSA respiratory infection and FEV1 decline in children and adults with CF. Methods: Ten-year cohort study using the CF Foundation patient registry from 1996-2005. We studied individuals who developed new MRSA respiratory tract infection. Repeated measures regression was used to assess the association between MRSA and FEV1 decline, adjusted for confounders, in individuals aged 8-21 and adults (aged 22-45). Two different statistical models were used to assess robustness of results. Measurements and Main Results: The study cohort included 17,357 patients with an average follow-up of 5.3 years. During the study period 1732 individuals developed new persistent MRSA infection (3 MRSA cultures; average 6.8 positive cultures) and were subsequently followed for an average of 3.5 years. Even after adjustment for confounders, rate of FEV1 decline in individuals aged 8-21 with persistent MRSA was more rapid in both statistical models. Their average FEV1 decline of 2.06% predicted/year was 43% more rapid than the 1.44% predicted/year in those without MRSA (difference -0.62% predicted/year, 95% CI -0.70 to -0.54; p<0.001). Effect of MRSA on FEV1 decline in adults was not clinically significant. Conclusions: Persistent infection with MRSA in individuals with CF between the ages of 8-21 is associated with a more rapid rate of decline in lung function.

Key words: Cystic Fibrosis, Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus Aureus, Longitudinal Studies, Pulmonary Function Test, Epidemiology

T

tammykrumrey

Found it:

This Article

Full Text (PDF)

Services

Google Scholar

Articles by Boyle, M. P

PubMed

PubMed Citation
Articles by Boyle, M. P

Persistent Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus Aureus and Rate of FEV1 Decline in Cystic Fibrosis
Elliott C Dasenbrook1*, Christian A Merlo1, Marie Diener-West2, Noah Lechtzin1, and Michael P Boyle1
1 Department of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA, 2 Departments of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, The Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA

Rationale: The prevalence in cystic fibrosis (CF) of respiratory cultures with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) has dramatically increased over the last ten years, but the effect of MRSA on FEV1 decline in CF is unknown. Objective: To determine the association between MRSA respiratory infection and FEV1 decline in children and adults with CF. Methods: Ten-year cohort study using the CF Foundation patient registry from 1996-2005. We studied individuals who developed new MRSA respiratory tract infection. Repeated measures regression was used to assess the association between MRSA and FEV1 decline, adjusted for confounders, in individuals aged 8-21 and adults (aged 22-45). Two different statistical models were used to assess robustness of results. Measurements and Main Results: The study cohort included 17,357 patients with an average follow-up of 5.3 years. During the study period 1732 individuals developed new persistent MRSA infection (3 MRSA cultures; average 6.8 positive cultures) and were subsequently followed for an average of 3.5 years. Even after adjustment for confounders, rate of FEV1 decline in individuals aged 8-21 with persistent MRSA was more rapid in both statistical models. Their average FEV1 decline of 2.06% predicted/year was 43% more rapid than the 1.44% predicted/year in those without MRSA (difference -0.62% predicted/year, 95% CI -0.70 to -0.54; p<0.001). Effect of MRSA on FEV1 decline in adults was not clinically significant. Conclusions: Persistent infection with MRSA in individuals with CF between the ages of 8-21 is associated with a more rapid rate of decline in lung function.

Key words: Cystic Fibrosis, Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus Aureus, Longitudinal Studies, Pulmonary Function Test, Epidemiology

T

tammykrumrey

Found it:

This Article

Full Text (PDF)

Services

Google Scholar

Articles by Boyle, M. P

PubMed

PubMed Citation
Articles by Boyle, M. P

T

tammykrumrey

Found it:

This Article

Full Text (PDF)

Services

Google Scholar

Articles by Boyle, M. P

PubMed

PubMed Citation
Articles by Boyle, M. P

T

tammykrumrey

Found it:
<br />
<br />Published ahead of print on July 31, 2008
<br />Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 2008, doi:10.1164/rccm.200802-327OC
<br />This Article
<br />
<br /> Full Text (PDF)
<br /> Alert me when this article is cited
<br /> Alert me if a correction is posted
<br />
<br />Services
<br />
<br /> Similar articles in this journal
<br /> Similar articles in PubMed
<br /> Alert me to new issues of the journal
<br /> Download to citation manager
<br />
<br />
<br />Google Scholar
<br />
<br /> Articles by Dasenbrook, E. C
<br /> Articles by Boyle, M. P
<br />
<br />PubMed
<br />
<br /> PubMed Citation
<br /> Articles by Dasenbrook, E. C
<br /> Articles by Boyle, M. P
<br />
<br />Submitted on February 24, 2008
<br />Accepted on July 31, 2008
<br />
<br />
<br />Persistent Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus Aureus and Rate of FEV1 Decline in Cystic Fibrosis
<br />Elliott C Dasenbrook1*, Christian A Merlo1, Marie Diener-West2, Noah Lechtzin1, and Michael P Boyle1
<br />1 Department of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA, 2 Departments of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, The Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA
<br />
<br />* To whom correspondence should be addressed. E-mail: edasenb1@jhmi.edu.
<br />
<br />
<br />Rationale: The prevalence in cystic fibrosis (CF) of respiratory cultures with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) has dramatically increased over the last ten years, but the effect of MRSA on FEV1 decline in CF is unknown. Objective: To determine the association between MRSA respiratory infection and FEV1 decline in children and adults with CF. Methods: Ten-year cohort study using the CF Foundation patient registry from 1996-2005. We studied individuals who developed new MRSA respiratory tract infection. Repeated measures regression was used to assess the association between MRSA and FEV1 decline, adjusted for confounders, in individuals aged 8-21 and adults (aged 22-45). Two different statistical models were used to assess robustness of results. Measurements and Main Results: The study cohort included 17,357 patients with an average follow-up of 5.3 years. During the study period 1732 individuals developed new persistent MRSA infection (3 MRSA cultures; average 6.8 positive cultures) and were subsequently followed for an average of 3.5 years. Even after adjustment for confounders, rate of FEV1 decline in individuals aged 8-21 with persistent MRSA was more rapid in both statistical models. Their average FEV1 decline of 2.06% predicted/year was 43% more rapid than the 1.44% predicted/year in those without MRSA (difference -0.62% predicted/year, 95% CI -0.70 to -0.54; p<0.001). Effect of MRSA on FEV1 decline in adults was not clinically significant. Conclusions: Persistent infection with MRSA in individuals with CF between the ages of 8-21 is associated with a more rapid rate of decline in lung function.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />Key words: Cystic Fibrosis, Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus Aureus, Longitudinal Studies, Pulmonary Function Test, Epidemiology

missnth

wow, thanks, it's good to know things that docs disagree on because you have to figure out when to push for things and not just take their recommendation.

missnth

wow, thanks, it's good to know things that docs disagree on because you have to figure out when to push for things and not just take their recommendation.

missnth

missnth

missnth