Starting a job

M

MCGrad2006

Hi Erin!

I am in the SAME exact boat as you right now! Well sorta....I finsihed school for elementary education in Dec. So far though, I have just been subbing. I know exactly how you feel about telling/not telling....esp with kids in mind.

I would prob lean towards NOT telling, at the interview that is. First of all, its not thier business and its confidential...but then you run the risk of having kids with CF in your school/class. I think that if you wait till after you have been hired you can still speak with the principal or hiring personell and tell them your concerns. IF there were any children in your class with CF and the school year has not started yet, they can move kids around. If you have an understanding boss, they should be supportive of your needs...since thats what thier job is.

Feel free to PM if you wanna chat some more! I would love to share job search stories more in depth, we prob have a lot in common.

M

MCGrad2006

Hi Erin!

I am in the SAME exact boat as you right now! Well sorta....I finsihed school for elementary education in Dec. So far though, I have just been subbing. I know exactly how you feel about telling/not telling....esp with kids in mind.

I would prob lean towards NOT telling, at the interview that is. First of all, its not thier business and its confidential...but then you run the risk of having kids with CF in your school/class. I think that if you wait till after you have been hired you can still speak with the principal or hiring personell and tell them your concerns. IF there were any children in your class with CF and the school year has not started yet, they can move kids around. If you have an understanding boss, they should be supportive of your needs...since thats what thier job is.

Feel free to PM if you wanna chat some more! I would love to share job search stories more in depth, we prob have a lot in common.

LouLou

If you expect you'll need provisions to the rules you'll likely have to come out about it. Definitely don't bring it up in the interview or before starting the job. If you don't need exceptions made for you, ask yourself why are you telling them? Yes, cf has shaped you into the person you are but think of it this way if it was some backpain disorder that you managed by am and pm exercises would you ask yourself, "Should I tell them?" Probably not. These aren't your friends (at least not yet) they are trying to find out if you will be the best person for the job.

Personally, For me I like to prove that I am a capable employee before sharing the news. Until recently when I've taken a more realistic approach and not a 'super hero' approach I prided myself on the fact that I miss less work than the average person. My first two jobs out of college I waited until my 1 year review to tell and I mentioned it after I negotiated or was offered raises. The reaction was similar by all 3 bosses...basically they said, "oooookay do you need some sort of modifications to your job (like ADA stuff) or what because it obviously doesn't effect your work performance." And I replied, "No. I just wanted to let you know because it's a big part of my life."

LouLou

If you expect you'll need provisions to the rules you'll likely have to come out about it. Definitely don't bring it up in the interview or before starting the job. If you don't need exceptions made for you, ask yourself why are you telling them? Yes, cf has shaped you into the person you are but think of it this way if it was some backpain disorder that you managed by am and pm exercises would you ask yourself, "Should I tell them?" Probably not. These aren't your friends (at least not yet) they are trying to find out if you will be the best person for the job.

Personally, For me I like to prove that I am a capable employee before sharing the news. Until recently when I've taken a more realistic approach and not a 'super hero' approach I prided myself on the fact that I miss less work than the average person. My first two jobs out of college I waited until my 1 year review to tell and I mentioned it after I negotiated or was offered raises. The reaction was similar by all 3 bosses...basically they said, "oooookay do you need some sort of modifications to your job (like ADA stuff) or what because it obviously doesn't effect your work performance." And I replied, "No. I just wanted to let you know because it's a big part of my life."

LouLou

LouLou

LouLou

LouLou

Breezy

Yeah, generally i don't give health info out during interviews. If I do, i just say that there are certain days i will need off due to medical appts, but that i know well in advanced so i would be able to tell them so it wouldn't affect scheduling or anything.

If, and only if i get hired, do i proceed to tell them why. They are always understand and appreciate my telling them. With me, it's hard to hide the fact that nothing is wrong since i have a nasty cough all the time so....if anything they're happy to not hear my barking in the office on those days lol.

Breezy

Yeah, generally i don't give health info out during interviews. If I do, i just say that there are certain days i will need off due to medical appts, but that i know well in advanced so i would be able to tell them so it wouldn't affect scheduling or anything.

If, and only if i get hired, do i proceed to tell them why. They are always understand and appreciate my telling them. With me, it's hard to hide the fact that nothing is wrong since i have a nasty cough all the time so....if anything they're happy to not hear my barking in the office on those days lol.

Breezy

Breezy

Breezy

Breezy

L

luke

Erin,

congrats on getting through your first year. I have worked at more current job for 4 years and still haven't told my boss. I always kinda fiqured that when the opportunity presented itself I would tell her. Of course, my boss is 400 miles away so it is easier to conceal a IV pump that way. I was always of the mindset that I if proved myself first then it would be harder fir them to condemn me for having CF. Once you get your first couple of good work evaluations it makes it difficult discriminate against just for having a disease. Afterall the A.D.A only protects us if we aren't bad employees! Anyway, my opinion. Good luck and enjoy your college experience!

L

luke

Erin,

congrats on getting through your first year. I have worked at more current job for 4 years and still haven't told my boss. I always kinda fiqured that when the opportunity presented itself I would tell her. Of course, my boss is 400 miles away so it is easier to conceal a IV pump that way. I was always of the mindset that I if proved myself first then it would be harder fir them to condemn me for having CF. Once you get your first couple of good work evaluations it makes it difficult discriminate against just for having a disease. Afterall the A.D.A only protects us if we aren't bad employees! Anyway, my opinion. Good luck and enjoy your college experience!

L

luke

Erin,

L

luke

Erin,

L

luke

Erin,

L

luke

Erin,