Starting Solids

rosesixtyfive

Hi, all,
Sam is reaching for food at the table like crazy. I would like to start him on some rice cereal. Right now he is a breastfed baby. He also gets one bottle a day of 4 oz. breat milk, a tbsp. of formula, a tsp. of Miralax, and a dash of salt. He is gaining weight fine. He will be 5 months old on January 17. Does anyone know if starting solids this young will cause allergies? Also, he always has a runny nose, so how will I know if he is having an allergy to a new food? Because of CF, I want to approach everything with caution. I would welcome any tips because I want Sam to LOVE food and be a healthy eater.
I thought a week of rice cereal, then a week of pears, then a week of bananas, maybe avocado? I also have a message out to both this nutritionist and the lactation consultant.
Thanks,
rosesixtyfive, mother of Sam, ddf508, (4 months) and Robin, no CF, 4 years old

rosesixtyfive

Hi, all,
Sam is reaching for food at the table like crazy. I would like to start him on some rice cereal. Right now he is a breastfed baby. He also gets one bottle a day of 4 oz. breat milk, a tbsp. of formula, a tsp. of Miralax, and a dash of salt. He is gaining weight fine. He will be 5 months old on January 17. Does anyone know if starting solids this young will cause allergies? Also, he always has a runny nose, so how will I know if he is having an allergy to a new food? Because of CF, I want to approach everything with caution. I would welcome any tips because I want Sam to LOVE food and be a healthy eater.
I thought a week of rice cereal, then a week of pears, then a week of bananas, maybe avocado? I also have a message out to both this nutritionist and the lactation consultant.
Thanks,

rosesixtyfive

Hi, all,
Thanks,

rosesixtyfive

Hi, all,
Thanks,

rosesixtyfive

Hi, all,
<br />Sam is reaching for food at the table like crazy. I would like to start him on some rice cereal. Right now he is a breastfed baby. He also gets one bottle a day of 4 oz. breat milk, a tbsp. of formula, a tsp. of Miralax, and a dash of salt. He is gaining weight fine. He will be 5 months old on January 17. Does anyone know if starting solids this young will cause allergies? Also, he always has a runny nose, so how will I know if he is having an allergy to a new food? Because of CF, I want to approach everything with caution. I would welcome any tips because I want Sam to LOVE food and be a healthy eater.
<br />I thought a week of rice cereal, then a week of pears, then a week of bananas, maybe avocado? I also have a message out to both this nutritionist and the lactation consultant.
<br />Thanks,
<br />rosesixtyfive, mother of Sam, ddf508, (4 months) and Robin, no CF, 4 years old

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS was eating babyfood fruit with enzymes since he was a week old. So once in awhile I'd feed him baby food pears or banana. And I did give him some babyfood veggies when he was that age -- sweet potatoes, carrots... He was almost 6 months old his first thanksgiving, so I gave him babyfood turkey, which he loved. He HATED rice cereal and applesauce, as well as peas.

Our doctor has a different view in terms of food, so when DS was 6 months old he basically told us to grind up/feed him whatever we were eating because babyfood was low in fat and sodium. I still doctored up some babyfoods with butter and salt. There were also some foods such a peanuts, peanut butter that I waited until he was a year old to give him. Otherwise, he was fine.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS was eating babyfood fruit with enzymes since he was a week old. So once in awhile I'd feed him baby food pears or banana. And I did give him some babyfood veggies when he was that age -- sweet potatoes, carrots... He was almost 6 months old his first thanksgiving, so I gave him babyfood turkey, which he loved. He HATED rice cereal and applesauce, as well as peas.

Our doctor has a different view in terms of food, so when DS was 6 months old he basically told us to grind up/feed him whatever we were eating because babyfood was low in fat and sodium. I still doctored up some babyfoods with butter and salt. There were also some foods such a peanuts, peanut butter that I waited until he was a year old to give him. Otherwise, he was fine.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />Our doctor has a different view in terms of food, so when DS was 6 months old he basically told us to grind up/feed him whatever we were eating because babyfood was low in fat and sodium. I still doctored up some babyfoods with butter and salt. There were also some foods such a peanuts, peanut butter that I waited until he was a year old to give him. Otherwise, he was fine.

M

Mommafirst

Trust your instincts. If he's showing interest in foods, then it seems like its time. As for allergies, food allergies are very unlikely to show cold-type symptoms. Usually they will be rash based or red around the mouth.

Call your CF dietician and see if they want him to have special foods, but I think that avacado is an AWESOME first food. I used a book called "super baby foods" and it helped me guide through homemade baby foods and which foods were appropriate at which ages. We did avacado first for all my kids and since it is high in omega fats, it would be better than a low caloried basic veggies.

M

Mommafirst

Trust your instincts. If he's showing interest in foods, then it seems like its time. As for allergies, food allergies are very unlikely to show cold-type symptoms. Usually they will be rash based or red around the mouth.

Call your CF dietician and see if they want him to have special foods, but I think that avacado is an AWESOME first food. I used a book called "super baby foods" and it helped me guide through homemade baby foods and which foods were appropriate at which ages. We did avacado first for all my kids and since it is high in omega fats, it would be better than a low caloried basic veggies.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />Call your CF dietician and see if they want him to have special foods, but I think that avacado is an AWESOME first food. I used a book called "super baby foods" and it helped me guide through homemade baby foods and which foods were appropriate at which ages. We did avacado first for all my kids and since it is high in omega fats, it would be better than a low caloried basic veggies.

ctalbott0609

I VERY strongly recommend visiting the website <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html">http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html</a> -- I linked her guide on starting solids in Breast Fed Babies. She's absolutely amazing, and the site is recommended by every breast feeding counselor I know...including WIC offices. She's amazing!

ctalbott0609

I VERY strongly recommend visiting the website <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html">http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html</a> -- I linked her guide on starting solids in Breast Fed Babies. She's absolutely amazing, and the site is recommended by every breast feeding counselor I know...including WIC offices. She's amazing!

ctalbott0609

ctalbott0609

ctalbott0609