Tamiflu, would you/have you taken it if you got the flu?

hmw

I had a bad case of seasonal flu a couple years ago. I started feeling lousy one evening and then the next morning woke up with a fever well over 103* and the whole gamut of symptoms; body aches, chills, headache, cough, sore throat, etc. I was still pretty sick but NOT like that first day- the fever came down a couple degrees which made it much easier to control with Motrin/Tylenol and the symptoms eased a little at least. It wasn't a miracle worker but it clearly helped. I count that flu as one of the worst illnesses I've had in a long time and I can't imagine how it would have been if it stayed as bad as it started for the entire acute phase of the illness.

However- despite the Tamiflu, I still developed a secondary bronchitis. So I would still be really careful about keeping tabs on our kids even if they seem to be recovering quickly w/ no lingering cough. We do that anyway of course...

Oh, and my dr had stressed the timing aspect too. Since I was in to see him the day I got acutely sick and less than 24hrs after my symptoms first began, I was in the best window of time for the Tamiflu to work most effectively. Not waiting is very important.

hmw

I had a bad case of seasonal flu a couple years ago. I started feeling lousy one evening and then the next morning woke up with a fever well over 103* and the whole gamut of symptoms; body aches, chills, headache, cough, sore throat, etc. I was still pretty sick but NOT like that first day- the fever came down a couple degrees which made it much easier to control with Motrin/Tylenol and the symptoms eased a little at least. It wasn't a miracle worker but it clearly helped. I count that flu as one of the worst illnesses I've had in a long time and I can't imagine how it would have been if it stayed as bad as it started for the entire acute phase of the illness.

However- despite the Tamiflu, I still developed a secondary bronchitis. So I would still be really careful about keeping tabs on our kids even if they seem to be recovering quickly w/ no lingering cough. We do that anyway of course...

Oh, and my dr had stressed the timing aspect too. Since I was in to see him the day I got acutely sick and less than 24hrs after my symptoms first began, I was in the best window of time for the Tamiflu to work most effectively. Not waiting is very important.

hmw

hmw

hmw

<br />
<br />However- despite the Tamiflu, I still developed a secondary bronchitis. So I would still be really careful about keeping tabs on our kids even if they seem to be recovering quickly w/ no lingering cough. We do that anyway of course...
<br />
<br />Oh, and my dr had stressed the timing aspect too. Since I was in to see him the day I got acutely sick and less than 24hrs after my symptoms first began, I was in the best window of time for the Tamiflu to work most effectively. Not waiting is very important.

mom2lillian

I took one dose and highly doubt I will ever try another. I am keeping it around 'just incase' I feel a flu coming on later in the year so I can take it right away and see if side effects are the same.

Apparently I am in the 1% they claim get mild nausea/vomiting. Wihtin an hour of taking it I started vomiting, my headache turned migraine, and I was so nauseous I didnt want ot move.

That being said I took it and my first dose of Levaquin in years at the same time and without food. Considering I was pretty positive my flu was on its way out already and we were pro-actively treating with levaquin to prevent a flare-up I decided not to continue on with it.

mom2lillian

I took one dose and highly doubt I will ever try another. I am keeping it around 'just incase' I feel a flu coming on later in the year so I can take it right away and see if side effects are the same.

Apparently I am in the 1% they claim get mild nausea/vomiting. Wihtin an hour of taking it I started vomiting, my headache turned migraine, and I was so nauseous I didnt want ot move.

That being said I took it and my first dose of Levaquin in years at the same time and without food. Considering I was pretty positive my flu was on its way out already and we were pro-actively treating with levaquin to prevent a flare-up I decided not to continue on with it.

mom2lillian

mom2lillian

mom2lillian

<br />
<br />Apparently I am in the 1% they claim get mild nausea/vomiting. Wihtin an hour of taking it I started vomiting, my headache turned migraine, and I was so nauseous I didnt want ot move.
<br />
<br />That being said I took it and my first dose of Levaquin in years at the same time and without food. Considering I was pretty positive my flu was on its way out already and we were pro-actively treating with levaquin to prevent a flare-up I decided not to continue on with it.

C

cfpatience

My 10 year old cf son came home from school not feeling well with a fever of 100 on monday. By eve it was going between 103 and 104 and throughout the night. He also started coughing. I called his primary care dr and she said wait it out for 72 hours and if not better, come in.

Then I called his cf dr. who gave us script to start Tamiflu asap and started him on a heavy dose of amox.

He vomited after the first dose of both and I began to wonder if I should continue the Tamiflu since there are some bad reports about it, but finally decided to continue. After the first dose he was ok. I am glad I continued it.

As the others have posted...start it within 24 hours of onset of symptoms and dr also said to continue through whole course even if feeling better or it could rebound on the patient.

Hope this helps.

C

cfpatience

My 10 year old cf son came home from school not feeling well with a fever of 100 on monday. By eve it was going between 103 and 104 and throughout the night. He also started coughing. I called his primary care dr and she said wait it out for 72 hours and if not better, come in.

Then I called his cf dr. who gave us script to start Tamiflu asap and started him on a heavy dose of amox.

He vomited after the first dose of both and I began to wonder if I should continue the Tamiflu since there are some bad reports about it, but finally decided to continue. After the first dose he was ok. I am glad I continued it.

As the others have posted...start it within 24 hours of onset of symptoms and dr also said to continue through whole course even if feeling better or it could rebound on the patient.

Hope this helps.

C

cfpatience

Hope this helps.

C

cfpatience

Hope this helps.

C

cfpatience

<br />
<br />Then I called his cf dr. who gave us script to start Tamiflu asap and started him on a heavy dose of amox.
<br />
<br />He vomited after the first dose of both and I began to wonder if I should continue the Tamiflu since there are some bad reports about it, but finally decided to continue. After the first dose he was ok. I am glad I continued it.
<br />
<br />As the others have posted...start it within 24 hours of onset of symptoms and dr also said to continue through whole course even if feeling better or it could rebound on the patient.
<br />
<br />Hope this helps.