Teacher 'outed' my daughter!

janddburke

Jess was hospitalized last November. this wasn't a secret. several of her classmates live on our street. What we came to find out after she returned to school was that her 6th grade homeroom teacher informed the class that Jess was in the hospital because she had CF.
We're not sure of the actual language or context it was delivered in. but a boy in her class was able to 'google' it. what did she do? spell it out for them? Cystic Fibosis is not exactly phonetically spelled, right?
the next day he was allowed to share what he learned with the class.

how obscene is this? Jess didn't want me to do anything because it would embarrass her further.

I did ask the teacher how the kids could have found out? to which she responded, 'oh, I might have said something' and then changed the subject.

What can I do about this? I thought that with all the new HIPAA rules this wasn't supposed to happen.

any feedback is greatfully appreciated.

janddburke

Jess was hospitalized last November. this wasn't a secret. several of her classmates live on our street. What we came to find out after she returned to school was that her 6th grade homeroom teacher informed the class that Jess was in the hospital because she had CF.
We're not sure of the actual language or context it was delivered in. but a boy in her class was able to 'google' it. what did she do? spell it out for them? Cystic Fibosis is not exactly phonetically spelled, right?

how obscene is this? Jess didn't want me to do anything because it would embarrass her further.

I did ask the teacher how the kids could have found out? to which she responded, 'oh, I might have said something' and then changed the subject.

What can I do about this? I thought that with all the new HIPAA rules this wasn't supposed to happen.

janddburke

Seana30

I WOULD BE SO TICKED OFF!!!! This does fall under the HIPAA laws. I work for a lawyer part time and if you would like I could ask him what your rights are.

I am sure the teacher had good intentions, but what she did was VERY wrong!

Seana

Seana30

I WOULD BE SO TICKED OFF!!!! This does fall under the HIPAA laws. I work for a lawyer part time and if you would like I could ask him what your rights are.

Seana

Seana30

Seana

NoExcuses

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>janddburke</b></i>

any feedback is greatfully appreciated.</end quote></div>

Your kid is going to grow up to be ashamed of having CF if you treat it like a secret.

You're setting your kid up for some serious self esteem issues if you are always trying to cover up and keep secret the fact that she has CF.

So she has CF. So everyone knows. Big deal.

So my feedback is : get over it and move on with life. Your kid will benefit from it

NoExcuses

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>janddburke</b></i>

Your kid is going to grow up to be ashamed of having CF if you treat it like a secret.

You're setting your kid up for some serious self esteem issues if you are always trying to cover up and keep secret the fact that she has CF.

So my feedback is : get over it and move on with life. Your kid will benefit from it

NoExcuses

janddburke

it's not that we've kept it a secret. we just treat her like any other kid. her close friends know. they remind her about her therapy. they've all tried out the vest.
we just don't make a big deal about it. she tells who she chooses to tell.
the teacher took that away from her.

She's not ashamed to have CF. At this age she just doesn't want to feel different.
she's a kid with CF. KID comes first.

janddburke

it's not that we've kept it a secret. we just treat her like any other kid. her close friends know. they remind her about her therapy. they've all tried out the vest.

She's not ashamed to have CF. At this age she just doesn't want to feel different.

janddburke

NoExcuses

she won't feel different if you don't let her feel different.

i'm 25 - i've been there.....

if you raise her with confidence that CF doesn't make you different, then she won't feel different..... parenting is everything.

NoExcuses

if you raise her with confidence that CF doesn't make you different, then she won't feel different..... parenting is everything.

NoExcuses

mom2lillian

We took the pro-active approcah with my friends daughter she got to stand up in front of the class and tell what she wanted to about her disease and explain things how she wanted to. Now that the cat is out of the bag so to speak perhaps she can tell what she wants to tell so as to clarify the situation and make it 'cool' if thats possible.

mom2lillian

We took the pro-active approcah with my friends daughter she got to stand up in front of the class and tell what she wanted to about her disease and explain things how she wanted to. Now that the cat is out of the bag so to speak perhaps she can tell what she wants to tell so as to clarify the situation and make it 'cool' if thats possible.

mom2lillian

2perfectboys

I don't see anything "obscene" about it, prehaps the teacher could have asked first if it was okay to tell the class, but she probably did not realize how much your daughter is embarrassed about her CF, as u stated, she did not want u to do anything, because "it would embarrass her more".....

Unless all of her friends, go to a different school, then I would say there are a lot of people that know she had CF. WOuld u rather the teacher not said anything, and the kids wondering if she was at the hospital having a baby or locked up in Juvenile detention for something obscene.

I believe CF does make u different, she is different because of her CF. Most healthy kids don't go to the hospital. But that does not mean she has to be treated differently and her classmate probably was worried about her just as they would be anyother child that was in the hospital for whatever reason. CF is a part of people, but don't define who they are.

Lori

2perfectboys

I don't see anything "obscene" about it, prehaps the teacher could have asked first if it was okay to tell the class, but she probably did not realize how much your daughter is embarrassed about her CF, as u stated, she did not want u to do anything, because "it would embarrass her more".....

Unless all of her friends, go to a different school, then I would say there are a lot of people that know she had CF. WOuld u rather the teacher not said anything, and the kids wondering if she was at the hospital having a baby or locked up in Juvenile detention for something obscene.

I believe CF does make u different, she is different because of her CF. Most healthy kids don't go to the hospital. But that does not mean she has to be treated differently and her classmate probably was worried about her just as they would be anyother child that was in the hospital for whatever reason. CF is a part of people, but don't define who they are.

Lori