The Kindergarten Conundrum

sullihs

My son has a Dec bday so we didn't have to face this decision, but I wanted to tell you what some of the parents of older children at one of my CF support meanings said that needed to be taken into consideration. Children with CF are usually "late bloomers" meaning for the most part they tend to hit puberty later so it can be more difficult for a CF child that it already young for their grade. IF my son was even a few months younger, we would have held him back since both my husband and I both were "late bloomers."

sullihs

My son has a Dec bday so we didn't have to face this decision, but I wanted to tell you what some of the parents of older children at one of my CF support meanings said that needed to be taken into consideration. Children with CF are usually "late bloomers" meaning for the most part they tend to hit puberty later so it can be more difficult for a CF child that it already young for their grade. IF my son was even a few months younger, we would have held him back since both my husband and I both were "late bloomers."

sullihs

sullihs

sullihs

Transplantmommy

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>sullihs</b></i>

My son has a Dec bday so we didn't have to face this decision, but I wanted to tell you what some of the parents of older children at one of my CF support meanings said that needed to be taken into consideration. Children with CF are usually "late bloomers" meaning for the most part they tend to hit puberty later so it can be more difficult for a CF child that it already young for their grade. IF my son was even a few months younger, we would have held him back since both my husband and I both were "late bloomers."</end quote></div>

Really?? I'm glad that my Mom didn't hold me back because of that. I was definitely a late bloomer as I didn't start my cycle until I was 17, whereas all the other girls in my class started at the age of 12.

Transplantmommy

My son has a Dec bday so we didn't have to face this decision, but I wanted to tell you what some of the parents of older children at one of my CF support meanings said that needed to be taken into consideration. Children with CF are usually "late bloomers" meaning for the most part they tend to hit puberty later so it can be more difficult for a CF child that it already young for their grade. IF my son was even a few months younger, we would have held him back since both my husband and I both were "late bloomers."</end quote></div>

Really?? I'm glad that my Mom didn't hold me back because of that. I was definitely a late bloomer as I didn't start my cycle until I was 17, whereas all the other girls in my class started at the age of 12.

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

My son has a Dec bday so we didn't have to face this decision, but I wanted to tell you what some of the parents of older children at one of my CF support meanings said that needed to be taken into consideration. Children with CF are usually "late bloomers" meaning for the most part they tend to hit puberty later so it can be more difficult for a CF child that it already young for their grade. IF my son was even a few months younger, we would have held him back since both my husband and I both were "late bloomers."</end quote>

Transplantmommy

<br />
<br />My son has a Dec bday so we didn't have to face this decision, but I wanted to tell you what some of the parents of older children at one of my CF support meanings said that needed to be taken into consideration. Children with CF are usually "late bloomers" meaning for the most part they tend to hit puberty later so it can be more difficult for a CF child that it already young for their grade. IF my son was even a few months younger, we would have held him back since both my husband and I both were "late bloomers."</end quote>
<br />
<br />Really?? I'm glad that my Mom didn't hold me back because of that. I was definitely a late bloomer as I didn't start my cycle until I was 17, whereas all the other girls in my class started at the age of 12.
<br />
<br />

C

Cherylwithone

I don't have small ones anymore but thought I might comment. My son who is an end of July baby started K at 5 graduated at 17. He does'nt have cf just a high IQ. My daughter is a February baby did the pre-school then K at 5.
She has cf. She gets bored sometimes becuase she is so use to talking to doctors and being on that level that it is hard to fit in with her age group. While they whine about makeup, boyfriends, cloths, etc. Her problems are health. So it is hard to relate to the petty stuff. When they are younger that does'nt come into play. By younger I don't mean not jr. high or high school. I think each child is different and you really need to go with your gut feeling on it. You know your child better then anyone. There is also nothing wrong with repeating K.

Cheryl mom to Malora 15 w/cf

C

Cherylwithone

I don't have small ones anymore but thought I might comment. My son who is an end of July baby started K at 5 graduated at 17. He does'nt have cf just a high IQ. My daughter is a February baby did the pre-school then K at 5.
She has cf. She gets bored sometimes becuase she is so use to talking to doctors and being on that level that it is hard to fit in with her age group. While they whine about makeup, boyfriends, cloths, etc. Her problems are health. So it is hard to relate to the petty stuff. When they are younger that does'nt come into play. By younger I don't mean not jr. high or high school. I think each child is different and you really need to go with your gut feeling on it. You know your child better then anyone. There is also nothing wrong with repeating K.

C

Cherylwithone

C

Cherylwithone

C

Cherylwithone

<br />She has cf. She gets bored sometimes becuase she is so use to talking to doctors and being on that level that it is hard to fit in with her age group. While they whine about makeup, boyfriends, cloths, etc. Her problems are health. So it is hard to relate to the petty stuff. When they are younger that does'nt come into play. By younger I don't mean not jr. high or high school. I think each child is different and you really need to go with your gut feeling on it. You know your child better then anyone. There is also nothing wrong with repeating K.
<br />
<br />Cheryl mom to Malora 15 w/cf

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I had a chance to talk to the daycare director on Friday to see if she still thought it'd be a good idea to wait until next year. She explained that in our school district that children tend to get labeled early on as having ADD. With DS he cannot sit still on his carpet square and pay attention to a story for even 5 minutes. She's seen it time and time again. Nothing to do with CF, the eating issue -- she feels he's very sharp, and has a wonderful imagination and she'd hate to see him labeled as other children have been. Oh, and she said THEY also teach the D'Nealian handwriting style to their preschoolers. Wow!

Oh, and DH overheard his mother asking his cousin about it, being that she teaches in the same school district. She said her nephew by marriage was two weeks older than DS, and was going to also wait. Her own husband, was also kept back. She thought it was a good idea as well. Hmmm!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I had a chance to talk to the daycare director on Friday to see if she still thought it'd be a good idea to wait until next year. She explained that in our school district that children tend to get labeled early on as having ADD. With DS he cannot sit still on his carpet square and pay attention to a story for even 5 minutes. She's seen it time and time again. Nothing to do with CF, the eating issue -- she feels he's very sharp, and has a wonderful imagination and she'd hate to see him labeled as other children have been. Oh, and she said THEY also teach the D'Nealian handwriting style to their preschoolers. Wow!

Oh, and DH overheard his mother asking his cousin about it, being that she teaches in the same school district. She said her nephew by marriage was two weeks older than DS, and was going to also wait. Her own husband, was also kept back. She thought it was a good idea as well. Hmmm!

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />Oh, and DH overheard his mother asking his cousin about it, being that she teaches in the same school district. She said her nephew by marriage was two weeks older than DS, and was going to also wait. Her own husband, was also kept back. She thought it was a good idea as well. Hmmm!