The Kindergarten Conundrum

M

mneville

Aidan's birthday is Sept 16th and our school cut off date is October 1. So he could start Full Day Kindergarten at age 4. Although I know he will be read academically, I am already leaning on the side of keeping him back another year. For one, I think he will miss more school than most, even just for all his doctor appts.

M

mneville

Aidan's birthday is Sept 16th and our school cut off date is October 1. So he could start Full Day Kindergarten at age 4. Although I know he will be read academically, I am already leaning on the side of keeping him back another year. For one, I think he will miss more school than most, even just for all his doctor appts.

M

mneville

M

mneville

M

mneville

katyf13

I haven't read every response so I may be repeating someone. I work in pre-school and kindergarten (speech pathologist) and I've had some experience observing kids going through that transition. First of all, full-day kindergarten sounds scary, but they really adjust to it very nicely. There are kids who I see who seem very young starting kindergarten and by the end of the year it is amazing how much they have learned and grown up! It really is a matter of readiness. In kindergarten they do expect you to sit and listen for much longer than in pre-school. I know you probably had a kindergarten screening, so I would look at how that went as well, even though some kids are very shy on those days and don't show what they really know.
One option is to try it and if it really is just not working, you can pull him out. That is not ideal. But chances are he would end up doing just fine. ANother scenario is that he could do kindergarten twice. That actually happens quite a bit and just gives them that extra year of skills to get ready for first grade.
If you do decide to hold him back, I would make sure that he is in a pre-school program, rather than a daycare program. Someplace where they have educators who really focus on the readiness skills.
Don't worry about what anyone else says in the long run. All in all, it won't make or break him no matter what people say!

katyf13

I haven't read every response so I may be repeating someone. I work in pre-school and kindergarten (speech pathologist) and I've had some experience observing kids going through that transition. First of all, full-day kindergarten sounds scary, but they really adjust to it very nicely. There are kids who I see who seem very young starting kindergarten and by the end of the year it is amazing how much they have learned and grown up! It really is a matter of readiness. In kindergarten they do expect you to sit and listen for much longer than in pre-school. I know you probably had a kindergarten screening, so I would look at how that went as well, even though some kids are very shy on those days and don't show what they really know.
One option is to try it and if it really is just not working, you can pull him out. That is not ideal. But chances are he would end up doing just fine. ANother scenario is that he could do kindergarten twice. That actually happens quite a bit and just gives them that extra year of skills to get ready for first grade.
If you do decide to hold him back, I would make sure that he is in a pre-school program, rather than a daycare program. Someplace where they have educators who really focus on the readiness skills.
Don't worry about what anyone else says in the long run. All in all, it won't make or break him no matter what people say!

katyf13

katyf13

katyf13

<br />One option is to try it and if it really is just not working, you can pull him out. That is not ideal. But chances are he would end up doing just fine. ANother scenario is that he could do kindergarten twice. That actually happens quite a bit and just gives them that extra year of skills to get ready for first grade.
<br />If you do decide to hold him back, I would make sure that he is in a pre-school program, rather than a daycare program. Someplace where they have educators who really focus on the readiness skills.
<br />Don't worry about what anyone else says in the long run. All in all, it won't make or break him no matter what people say!

debs2girls

Hi Liza, I can totally relate to this. My son was born on June 5th. He couldnt wait to start school the end of August of his fifth year. I couldnt wait either..lol..he wsa a very high maintainence child. Very sickly, wouldnt eat, would sit still (we later found out, he was allergic to cotton and his underwear was bothering him.lol) I digress...I sent him to school anyway and by Oct. I had to withdrawn him...to this day (he is 28 now) he still thinks I took him out of school because I missed him too much and wanted one more year at home with him...NOT the reason.
The next year, you would have thought I sent a different kid to class..maturity makes a big difference in everything and he only went half days. A girl the same age as your little one would do better starting now...only because of gender, not intellegence.

debs2girls

Hi Liza, I can totally relate to this. My son was born on June 5th. He couldnt wait to start school the end of August of his fifth year. I couldnt wait either..lol..he wsa a very high maintainence child. Very sickly, wouldnt eat, would sit still (we later found out, he was allergic to cotton and his underwear was bothering him.lol) I digress...I sent him to school anyway and by Oct. I had to withdrawn him...to this day (he is 28 now) he still thinks I took him out of school because I missed him too much and wanted one more year at home with him...NOT the reason.
The next year, you would have thought I sent a different kid to class..maturity makes a big difference in everything and he only went half days. A girl the same age as your little one would do better starting now...only because of gender, not intellegence.

debs2girls

debs2girls

debs2girls

<br />The next year, you would have thought I sent a different kid to class..maturity makes a big difference in everything and he only went half days. A girl the same age as your little one would do better starting now...only because of gender, not intellegence.
<br />

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Just for clarification -- he has been attending organized preschool classes in the mornings 9-11:30 since he was 2 years old. It's offered thru his daycare center -- teachers are have degrees in early childhood.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Just for clarification -- he has been attending organized preschool classes in the mornings 9-11:30 since he was 2 years old. It's offered thru his daycare center -- teachers are have degrees in early childhood.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member