the wisdom of the body

65rosessamurai

My ex seemed to have the same exact theory of what your friend did, wanderlost.
However, they both are correct, within reason.
Though it seems Western Medicine insists on mixing a bunch of chemicals to make the body heal, Eastern Medicine believes in using natural herbs, etc., to help the body heal itself. However, there is a lot of necessary study to know how this works, and what herbs will do the job.
My Great Grandmother was one of the first women doctors in the United States. She was also poor, because of the way of life in those days. Because she couldn't afford getting real medicines, she was able to learn what herbs would be used to treat what illnesses.
Of course, this was not including Genetic diseases. My ex had insisted that my disease, even genetic was curable by such methods (and of course because she wasn't a doctor, that ticked me off even more!)
Asprin and Pennicillin are actually natural drugs, which are a type of mold. (The Wikipedia might even explain in more detail)
So, in conclusion, what I had learned from this is that whatever can be naturally used to heal the body should be used. After that, Western Medicine.
My sister, who is a Physician Assistant, would let a fever go if she, or her child has one (She used the term "let simmer"). If the fever persists beyond a reasonable degree, or is accompanied by other things like nausea and diahrea or something, then it's time to take medicine. The fever is a built-in mechanism to kill the germ that has gotten into the body and can survive up to a certain temperature, but if the fever doesn't do the trick, then the body needs help.
I hope my input doesn't add any controversy.

65rosessamurai

Though it seems Western Medicine insists on mixing a bunch of chemicals to make the body heal, Eastern Medicine believes in using natural herbs, etc., to help the body heal itself. However, there is a lot of necessary study to know how this works, and what herbs will do the job.
My Great Grandmother was one of the first women doctors in the United States. She was also poor, because of the way of life in those days. Because she couldn't afford getting real medicines, she was able to learn what herbs would be used to treat what illnesses.
Of course, this was not including Genetic diseases. My ex had insisted that my disease, even genetic was curable by such methods (and of course because she wasn't a doctor, that ticked me off even more!)
Asprin and Pennicillin are actually natural drugs, which are a type of mold. (The Wikipedia might even explain in more detail)
So, in conclusion, what I had learned from this is that whatever can be naturally used to heal the body should be used. After that, Western Medicine.
My sister, who is a Physician Assistant, would let a fever go if she, or her child has one (She used the term "let simmer"). If the fever persists beyond a reasonable degree, or is accompanied by other things like nausea and diahrea or something, then it's time to take medicine. The fever is a built-in mechanism to kill the germ that has gotten into the body and can survive up to a certain temperature, but if the fever doesn't do the trick, then the body needs help.

65rosessamurai

65rosessamurai

65rosessamurai

CaliSally

Fred, I agree with you. So I thought of a question.
In regards to having CF and fevers - would YOU let the fever simmer? It's truly a curious question (not judgemental). I've been taking tylenol to help my fevers/headaches/muscle pains, until I get in for my tune-up. What's your thought on that? Should the CFer let a fever simmer, knowing that our bugs don't go away on their own really?

CaliSally

In regards to having CF and fevers - would YOU let the fever simmer? It's truly a curious question (not judgemental). I've been taking tylenol to help my fevers/headaches/muscle pains, until I get in for my tune-up. What's your thought on that? Should the CFer let a fever simmer, knowing that our bugs don't go away on their own really?

CaliSally

CaliSally

CaliSally

wanderlost

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>65rosessamurai</b></i>

I hope my input doesn't add any controversy.</end quote></div>

No, I agree with all of this - I also let fevers simmer, my own, and my kids', and I also try natural healing remedies first- BUT I don't expect any of this to cure my CF, that's the thing- I might cure a cold with umcka and echinacea and homeopathics, as I have many times, without antibiotics, but I still have Cf no matter what and I just don't think, as my ffriend tried to imply, that any "natural" remedy or mental mantra is going to change that.

wanderlost

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>65rosessamurai</b></i>

No, I agree with all of this - I also let fevers simmer, my own, and my kids', and I also try natural healing remedies first- BUT I don't expect any of this to cure my CF, that's the thing- I might cure a cold with umcka and echinacea and homeopathics, as I have many times, without antibiotics, but I still have Cf no matter what and I just don't think, as my ffriend tried to imply, that any "natural" remedy or mental mantra is going to change that.

wanderlost

wanderlost

I hope my input doesn't add any controversy.</end quote>

wanderlost

I hope my input doesn't add any controversy.</end quote>

wanderlost

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>CaliSally</b></i>

In regards to having CF and fevers - would YOU let the fever simmer? It's truly a curious question (not judgemental). I've been taking tylenol to help my fevers/headaches/muscle pains, until I get in for my tune-up. What's your thought on that? Should the CFer let a fever simmer, knowing that our bugs don't go away on their own really?</end quote></div>

I do - and I can't help but wonder if that hasn't contributed to the fact that my PA has not yet colonized and I am atill susceptible to most antibiotics when I do need to take them. I have to feel really horrible and have tried a lot of other "natural" stuff before I call in the docs - and that works for me, but I realize that won't work for everyone and my mode of treatment might land someone else in the hospital for a few weeks.

I think the key here is that there is wisdom in the body when we are tuned in and listening. As a kid, if I had so much as a sniffle my mom had me on amoxicillian, and to this day I can't get a cold without her asking if I have called in an abx - but I now know the difference in listening to my own body between a minor bug and a really serious infection and I deal with each appropriately. I think it would be irresponsible of me though to eschew all western medecine as "unnatural" and never take those ideas into account however, especially when I have little ones to care for.

One thing I was thinking about with my friend was pointing this idea out: yes, I might be able to heal a lung infection naturally and without abx over the course of time, but how much damage would be done to my lungs in that amount of time that I could have saved by using an antibiotic to head off the infection earlier?

I digress.

long answer, sorry.

wanderlost

In regards to having CF and fevers - would YOU let the fever simmer? It's truly a curious question (not judgemental). I've been taking tylenol to help my fevers/headaches/muscle pains, until I get in for my tune-up. What's your thought on that? Should the CFer let a fever simmer, knowing that our bugs don't go away on their own really?</end quote></div>

I do - and I can't help but wonder if that hasn't contributed to the fact that my PA has not yet colonized and I am atill susceptible to most antibiotics when I do need to take them. I have to feel really horrible and have tried a lot of other "natural" stuff before I call in the docs - and that works for me, but I realize that won't work for everyone and my mode of treatment might land someone else in the hospital for a few weeks.

I think the key here is that there is wisdom in the body when we are tuned in and listening. As a kid, if I had so much as a sniffle my mom had me on amoxicillian, and to this day I can't get a cold without her asking if I have called in an abx - but I now know the difference in listening to my own body between a minor bug and a really serious infection and I deal with each appropriately. I think it would be irresponsible of me though to eschew all western medecine as "unnatural" and never take those ideas into account however, especially when I have little ones to care for.

One thing I was thinking about with my friend was pointing this idea out: yes, I might be able to heal a lung infection naturally and without abx over the course of time, but how much damage would be done to my lungs in that amount of time that I could have saved by using an antibiotic to head off the infection earlier?

I digress.

long answer, sorry.

wanderlost

I digress.

long answer, sorry.

wanderlost

In regards to having CF and fevers - would YOU let the fever simmer? It's truly a curious question (not judgemental). I've been taking tylenol to help my fevers/headaches/muscle pains, until I get in for my tune-up. What's your thought on that? Should the CFer let a fever simmer, knowing that our bugs don't go away on their own really?</end quote>

I digress.

long answer, sorry.

wanderlost

In regards to having CF and fevers - would YOU let the fever simmer? It's truly a curious question (not judgemental). I've been taking tylenol to help my fevers/headaches/muscle pains, until I get in for my tune-up. What's your thought on that? Should the CFer let a fever simmer, knowing that our bugs don't go away on their own really?</end quote>

I digress.

long answer, sorry.