To have more children (with possible CF) or not

JennifersHope

I can understand both sides of the spectrum... I do believe their is going to be a cure someday, I don't know when, but I do know it will be... I think it isn't very nice to make parents feel like a fool for having hope..

Statistics show that CFers lives are being extended longer and longer all the time, and that is A FACT... we all have heard it a million times that when we adults were little we were not expected to live past our teens... so I say to the parents Have Hope....

In the meantime, a CFers life is very hard. not to say it isn't good... I am a class 4/5 which is considered mild CF, now granted I have a lot of other health problems but my lung function is great.. and my life is still hard,... Treatments are time consuming, investing in your health takes all my energy and that makes me mad...

I am not going to judge another parent for having another child knowing that they can have CF... I am just saying though I am with you on the having hope that a cure is coming... and I believe it is. Remember their isn't a cure right now.. and right now, having CF no matter how mild is hard...

Most adults with CF learn to make accomadations for the cards they are dealt with, and having another child with CF, that child will certainly learn to do the same, hopefully....but I can honestly say, I have a decent life, I have great family support and if I had to choose to have been born with CF or not been born at all, I on most days would say No thanks to the whole process.....

Though I will be really clear, I don't believe in abortion at all and I believe like I said if you are having another child with CF the child will learn to deal

JennifersHope

I can understand both sides of the spectrum... I do believe their is going to be a cure someday, I don't know when, but I do know it will be... I think it isn't very nice to make parents feel like a fool for having hope..

Statistics show that CFers lives are being extended longer and longer all the time, and that is A FACT... we all have heard it a million times that when we adults were little we were not expected to live past our teens... so I say to the parents Have Hope....

In the meantime, a CFers life is very hard. not to say it isn't good... I am a class 4/5 which is considered mild CF, now granted I have a lot of other health problems but my lung function is great.. and my life is still hard,... Treatments are time consuming, investing in your health takes all my energy and that makes me mad...

I am not going to judge another parent for having another child knowing that they can have CF... I am just saying though I am with you on the having hope that a cure is coming... and I believe it is. Remember their isn't a cure right now.. and right now, having CF no matter how mild is hard...

Most adults with CF learn to make accomadations for the cards they are dealt with, and having another child with CF, that child will certainly learn to do the same, hopefully....but I can honestly say, I have a decent life, I have great family support and if I had to choose to have been born with CF or not been born at all, I on most days would say No thanks to the whole process.....

Though I will be really clear, I don't believe in abortion at all and I believe like I said if you are having another child with CF the child will learn to deal

JennifersHope

Chaggie

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Mommy2Alysa</b></i>

The chances and odds of you passing CF onto your child, if both you and your partner are carriers, is ONLY 25%...

I was just trying to mention that Sue's post WAS alittle upsetting and it may have scared a few people who are currently carrying CF children. What do you think we should do.. abort them all?!

Whatever.. pick on me if you want to but I love my kids. Burn me at the stake if you wish for having another child, knowing the risks and hoping for the best.</end quote></div>

Not picking on you, or saying you wrong in having another child, just saying 25% is a big number when you're talking about a life and death situation.

Chaggie

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Mommy2Alysa</b></i>

The chances and odds of you passing CF onto your child, if both you and your partner are carriers, is ONLY 25%...

I was just trying to mention that Sue's post WAS alittle upsetting and it may have scared a few people who are currently carrying CF children. What do you think we should do.. abort them all?!

Whatever.. pick on me if you want to but I love my kids. Burn me at the stake if you wish for having another child, knowing the risks and hoping for the best.</end quote></div>

Not picking on you, or saying you wrong in having another child, just saying 25% is a big number when you're talking about a life and death situation.

Chaggie

Chaggie

Chaggie

Whatever.. pick on me if you want to but I love my kids. Burn me at the stake if you wish for having another child, knowing the risks and hoping for the best.</end quote>

Chaggie

Whatever.. pick on me if you want to but I love my kids. Burn me at the stake if you wish for having another child, knowing the risks and hoping for the best.</end quote>

dcgal

My husband's CF was considered mild- he passed away at 32 (the last 2 yrs were hell). Years ago my mother in law shared with me she always wanted to have more children. My father in law was dead set against it and it caused a strain in their marriage for quite a few years.

In my husband's last moments I'll never forget hearing my MIL say 'Thank God I didn't have anymore'. I'm not sure if everyone understood what she meant, but I did.

dcgal

My husband's CF was considered mild- he passed away at 32 (the last 2 yrs were hell). Years ago my mother in law shared with me she always wanted to have more children. My father in law was dead set against it and it caused a strain in their marriage for quite a few years.

In my husband's last moments I'll never forget hearing my MIL say 'Thank God I didn't have anymore'. I'm not sure if everyone understood what she meant, but I did.

dcgal

dcgal

dcgal

dcgal

NoExcuses

Thank you for sharing that.

I feel like so many parents on this site are in complete denial about what this disease can bring.

But no..... it only matters what THEY want. I want another child. I don't care at what expense. They will have to live with themselves for the rest of their lives for their poor decision-making.....

NoExcuses

I feel like so many parents on this site are in complete denial about what this disease can bring.

But no..... it only matters what THEY want. I want another child. I don't care at what expense. They will have to live with themselves for the rest of their lives for their poor decision-making.....

NoExcuses

NoExcuses

NoExcuses