To have more children (with possible CF) or not

lightNlife

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Mommy2Alysa</b></i>

Okay I can understand taht but how would you feel if your parents had another child after you, knowing you had CF when they got pregnant, and used EVERY precaution they could to make sure their next baby wasnt sick like you... wouldnt that make you feel like, for lack of a better term, an outsider? I just upset and frustrated that people are giving up hope they may find a cure someday.

Anyway I have had enough of this particular forum, it's a touchy subject for everyone and I have gotten myself upset and now I feel like my girls will grow up hating me.

Good luck to everyone and their decisions :0)</end quote></div>

As a CFer who has a non-CFer sibling, I don't feel like an outsider. Everyone has their own issues, medical, emotional, etc. I don't feel like an outsider because I know I am a loved member of my family.

Also, I don't hate my parents. There have been times when I have felt like a burden to them, but that was my own negativity talking, not theirs.

True story:

When I was little and I did something that would make my dad say "oh Bobber," (his nickname for me) "what are we going to do with you?" I would say "Um...throw me in the trash can?" Dad always said "We don't throw little girls in the trash can, no matter what. We love them too much." He'd give me a big hug that reassured me and let me know that although the trash can scenario was silly, still he wanted me to know that no matter what, I was NEVER unworthy or "trash" of any type.

I can honestly say that there has never been a single day when I have been jealous of my sister for not having CF. I'm pretty certain that she doesn't "feel sorry for me" for having CF. We are sisters. We have some genetic material in common, but above all, we're family. And quite an awesome one at that.

lightNlife

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Mommy2Alysa</b></i>

Okay I can understand taht but how would you feel if your parents had another child after you, knowing you had CF when they got pregnant, and used EVERY precaution they could to make sure their next baby wasnt sick like you... wouldnt that make you feel like, for lack of a better term, an outsider? I just upset and frustrated that people are giving up hope they may find a cure someday.

Anyway I have had enough of this particular forum, it's a touchy subject for everyone and I have gotten myself upset and now I feel like my girls will grow up hating me.

As a CFer who has a non-CFer sibling, I don't feel like an outsider. Everyone has their own issues, medical, emotional, etc. I don't feel like an outsider because I know I am a loved member of my family.

Also, I don't hate my parents. There have been times when I have felt like a burden to them, but that was my own negativity talking, not theirs.

True story:

When I was little and I did something that would make my dad say "oh Bobber," (his nickname for me) "what are we going to do with you?" I would say "Um...throw me in the trash can?" Dad always said "We don't throw little girls in the trash can, no matter what. We love them too much." He'd give me a big hug that reassured me and let me know that although the trash can scenario was silly, still he wanted me to know that no matter what, I was NEVER unworthy or "trash" of any type.

I can honestly say that there has never been a single day when I have been jealous of my sister for not having CF. I'm pretty certain that she doesn't "feel sorry for me" for having CF. We are sisters. We have some genetic material in common, but above all, we're family. And quite an awesome one at that.

lightNlife

True story:

lightNlife

Good luck to everyone and their decisions :0)</end quote>

True story:

lightNlife

Good luck to everyone and their decisions :0)</end quote>

True story:

NoExcuses

I just upset and frustrated that people are giving up hope they may find a cure someday.
</end quote></div>

If you're banking on that.... talk to people like Allie who had a husband who died or those of us who are older who have been told time and time again "a cure will be found by this date."

You'll soon learn yourself.

NoExcuses

I just upset and frustrated that people are giving up hope they may find a cure someday.
</end quote></div>

If you're banking on that.... talk to people like Allie who had a husband who died or those of us who are older who have been told time and time again "a cure will be found by this date."

NoExcuses

</end quote></div>

NoExcuses

</end quote></div>

NoExcuses

</end quote>

NoExcuses

</end quote>

JennifersHope

I can understand both sides of the spectrum... I do believe their is going to be a cure someday, I don't know when, but I do know it will be... I think it isn't very nice to make parents feel like a fool for having hope..

Statistics show that CFers lives are being extended longer and longer all the time, and that is A FACT... we all have heard it a million times that when we adults were little we were not expected to live past our teens... so I say to the parents Have Hope....

In the meantime, a CFers life is very hard. not to say it isn't good... I am a class 4/5 which is considered mild CF, now granted I have a lot of other health problems but my lung function is great.. and my life is still hard,... Treatments are time consuming, investing in your health takes all my energy and that makes me mad...

I am not going to judge another parent for having another child knowing that they can have CF... I am just saying though I am with you on the having hope that a cure is coming... and I believe it is. Remember their isn't a cure right now.. and right now, having CF no matter how mild is hard...

Most adults with CF learn to make accomadations for the cards they are dealt with, and having another child with CF, that child will certainly learn to do the same, hopefully....but I can honestly say, I have a decent life, I have great family support and if I had to choose to have been born with CF or not been born at all, I on most days would say No thanks to the whole process.....

Though I will be really clear, I don't believe in abortion at all and I believe like I said if you are having another child with CF the child will learn to deal

JennifersHope

I can understand both sides of the spectrum... I do believe their is going to be a cure someday, I don't know when, but I do know it will be... I think it isn't very nice to make parents feel like a fool for having hope..

Statistics show that CFers lives are being extended longer and longer all the time, and that is A FACT... we all have heard it a million times that when we adults were little we were not expected to live past our teens... so I say to the parents Have Hope....

In the meantime, a CFers life is very hard. not to say it isn't good... I am a class 4/5 which is considered mild CF, now granted I have a lot of other health problems but my lung function is great.. and my life is still hard,... Treatments are time consuming, investing in your health takes all my energy and that makes me mad...

I am not going to judge another parent for having another child knowing that they can have CF... I am just saying though I am with you on the having hope that a cure is coming... and I believe it is. Remember their isn't a cure right now.. and right now, having CF no matter how mild is hard...

Most adults with CF learn to make accomadations for the cards they are dealt with, and having another child with CF, that child will certainly learn to do the same, hopefully....but I can honestly say, I have a decent life, I have great family support and if I had to choose to have been born with CF or not been born at all, I on most days would say No thanks to the whole process.....

Though I will be really clear, I don't believe in abortion at all and I believe like I said if you are having another child with CF the child will learn to deal

JennifersHope