To have more children (with possible CF) or not

vmhoward

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>sakasuka</b></i>

Thank you for sharing that.

I feel like so many parents on this site are in complete denial about what this disease can bring.

But no..... it only matters what THEY want. I want another child. I don't care at what expense. They will have to live with themselves for the rest of their lives for their poor decision-making.....</end quote>

I have to disagree with this statement. Although yes there are some people who are blind to CF and what their child is dealing with, ultimately (speaking as a Parent) it does slap you in the face eventually.

Of coarse I would love to have another child. yes I have four children, and that could sound selfish considering that many people cant even have one child. When Garran was born (# 4) and Dx we didnt even know what CF was. We had no idea that we were even carriers, it was blind luck that none of the other three had CF. But Before we even found out about Garran's DX (at two months old) we decided four was enough and had my tubes tied (after delivery). So no more babies.

Sometimes I see a baby and say, oh I would like to have another one, but then I realize that, # 1 "It would take an Act of God to make that happen" and # 2 "I look at Garran and wonder will my next child go through the pain and illness that he has to go through?"

Granted if by some strange miracle I did get pregnant, I would not have an abortion, that is not even an option. Even given the chance of CF. And you all know how sick Garran is. I know what it is like to watch a child cough his lungs up and beg for help. He is only 6 and is at less than 50% lung function. And you may see it as SELFISH not to abort, but I just dont believe in Abortion.

That being said. This topic has gone so far from the original posters question and I appologize for that.

NoExcuses

Sounds me to like you and I agree, Vic....

My points were in reference to those who actively decide to have a child.

Aborting isn't something I agree with at all.... so I think you and I are on the same page.

NoExcuses

Aborting isn't something I agree with at all.... so I think you and I are on the same page.

NoExcuses

NoExcuses

NoExcuses

NoExcuses

lilismom

My daughter was diagnosed at 3 and in a year we've already paid over $10,000 not covered by insurance. Your child sounds healthy now but there is no guarantee that he will continue to do so well.
My decision not to have any other children was made before she was dx'd and I can't imagine life without my younger one but if we had known before hand I would not have had another child.

lilismom

My daughter was diagnosed at 3 and in a year we've already paid over $10,000 not covered by insurance. Your child sounds healthy now but there is no guarantee that he will continue to do so well.
My decision not to have any other children was made before she was dx'd and I can't imagine life without my younger one but if we had known before hand I would not have had another child.

lilismom

lilismom

lilismom

lilismom

Darinsmom

We have 2 boys darin is 9w/ CF and owen is 2 w/o CF. It was a hard and long decision to make, but I'm glad we did. Darin never complains about Owen not having CF at all. In fact he wants us to have another one. Which makes me happy. I said to him you know this baby (if we do?) might not have CF either. He said that would be fine and he wouldn't think it was unfair! He does know the outcome of CF but we don't worry about it and let it consume our lives. What good does that do? Who knows wheather he will die from CF or not? But we don't even think about it. We stay positive and there are many therapies in the pipeline that will hopefully be available to him and others. That's hopeful.

God is totally in control of our lives and knows what we will all die from. I give my son's life and health to him. Through good and bad he will see us through. If I didn't believe that I would be negative and a mess. Not good for me or Darin. If we stay postive Darin will be positive, if we are negative in his CF then he'll be negative. Who knows if we'll have a 3rd? Only God does! If we get pregnant then it is God's will CF or not. Take care everyone!

Laurie

Darinsmom

We have 2 boys darin is 9w/ CF and owen is 2 w/o CF. It was a hard and long decision to make, but I'm glad we did. Darin never complains about Owen not having CF at all. In fact he wants us to have another one. Which makes me happy. I said to him you know this baby (if we do?) might not have CF either. He said that would be fine and he wouldn't think it was unfair! He does know the outcome of CF but we don't worry about it and let it consume our lives. What good does that do? Who knows wheather he will die from CF or not? But we don't even think about it. We stay positive and there are many therapies in the pipeline that will hopefully be available to him and others. That's hopeful.

God is totally in control of our lives and knows what we will all die from. I give my son's life and health to him. Through good and bad he will see us through. If I didn't believe that I would be negative and a mess. Not good for me or Darin. If we stay postive Darin will be positive, if we are negative in his CF then he'll be negative. Who knows if we'll have a 3rd? Only God does! If we get pregnant then it is God's will CF or not. Take care everyone!

Laurie

Darinsmom

Laurie

Darinsmom

Laurie

Darinsmom

Laurie

Darinsmom

Laurie

miesl

Lady, your son is NINE. Psychologically, he cannot comprehend the question you asked him in the same way a reasoned adult can.