to those who have had sinus surgery

M

moxie1

So I have 3 who recommend the surgery and two that are not so sure.
<br />
<br />Are there any others who have had sinus surgery and have an opinion about this?

K

kfw1963

I had sinus surgery in Dec '08. I would qualify mine as unsuccessful. I still struggle with sinus pain, stuffy nose and limited taste and smell. I had a lot of bleeding and ended up staying 2 days due to the bleeding. While my sinuses appear to be relatively clear according to my ent, I am in the same spot I was before surgery.

K

kfw1963

I had sinus surgery in Dec '08. I would qualify mine as unsuccessful. I still struggle with sinus pain, stuffy nose and limited taste and smell. I had a lot of bleeding and ended up staying 2 days due to the bleeding. While my sinuses appear to be relatively clear according to my ent, I am in the same spot I was before surgery.

K

kfw1963

Asexyblond23

Im much better after mine. My biggest CF problem is my sinus problems. I have had 5 surgires, 1990,1992,1994,1996 and 1998 and I am going to have one agin in july. They helped the pain, the eye swelling. My sinus is so bad that they literally fill back up in less then a month and looks like I never had surgery. Mine all heleped me. During my teenage years mine really acted up but calemed down after 18. I would say if your having that many isues you should go for it. Trust me I have blood problems and have to have a transfusion every time and I am allergic to it, I bleed alot and its dangerous but its worth it and if I go thru all that because I know it helps I would recommend it to others if they need it.

Asexyblond23

Im much better after mine. My biggest CF problem is my sinus problems. I have had 5 surgires, 1990,1992,1994,1996 and 1998 and I am going to have one agin in july. They helped the pain, the eye swelling. My sinus is so bad that they literally fill back up in less then a month and looks like I never had surgery. Mine all heleped me. During my teenage years mine really acted up but calemed down after 18. I would say if your having that many isues you should go for it. Trust me I have blood problems and have to have a transfusion every time and I am allergic to it, I bleed alot and its dangerous but its worth it and if I go thru all that because I know it helps I would recommend it to others if they need it.

Asexyblond23

CountryGirl

I have had two sinus surgeries and they both helped tremendously! I had them done back when I was in high school and haven't had problems with my sinus' since.

I do have them checked by an ENT every year because of transplant. At first I started with the nasal washes right after the surgeries but ended up doing them less and less. I dont really do them anymore unless I'm feeling congested.

Otherwise I am a fan, its done outpatient and theyre super easy...although Ive also never had problems waking up from anesthesia, that could cause coming out of it to be worse for some people.

CountryGirl

I have had two sinus surgeries and they both helped tremendously! I had them done back when I was in high school and haven't had problems with my sinus' since.

I do have them checked by an ENT every year because of transplant. At first I started with the nasal washes right after the surgeries but ended up doing them less and less. I dont really do them anymore unless I'm feeling congested.

Otherwise I am a fan, its done outpatient and theyre super easy...although Ive also never had problems waking up from anesthesia, that could cause coming out of it to be worse for some people.

CountryGirl

<br />
<br />I do have them checked by an ENT every year because of transplant. At first I started with the nasal washes right after the surgeries but ended up doing them less and less. I dont really do them anymore unless I'm feeling congested.
<br />
<br />Otherwise I am a fan, its done outpatient and theyre super easy...although Ive also never had problems waking up from anesthesia, that could cause coming out of it to be worse for some people.

M

mneville

My son is 6 and is about to have his 9th sinus surgery! He started at age 1 with horrible sinuses and it's been bad ever since. He grows polyps within weeks of a surgery and then they just fill up with infection/mucus. Surgery is the only thing that gives him relief with IV antibiotics as well.
Megan

M

mneville

My son is 6 and is about to have his 9th sinus surgery! He started at age 1 with horrible sinuses and it's been bad ever since. He grows polyps within weeks of a surgery and then they just fill up with infection/mucus. Surgery is the only thing that gives him relief with IV antibiotics as well.
Megan

M

mneville

<br />Megan

xin

I have had sinus surgery three times in my life, each time to remove nasal polyps that were completely obstructing the airways.

The first surgery (around '91) was freakin' brutal, and the polyps grew back a year later. The second surgery (around '92) was significantly more effective, and - in rudimentary terms - a scope and a snare was used. The recovery was also less grueling, and did not require hospitalization. The third surgery (around '98) was better still, and - again, in dumbed down lingo - a scope and tiny auger was used.

Point is: over time, the surgical technology improved, the recovery time/effort was better, and the effectiveness increased. (Side note: I suspect my first doc was totally incompetent, though.) Hell yes the surgeries were worth it. I had no good alternative as the polyps grew and made it difficult to breathe.

These days I can get by with occasional use of a steroid spray to shrink the polyps. Hopefully I won't need surgery again for many more years.

xin

I have had sinus surgery three times in my life, each time to remove nasal polyps that were completely obstructing the airways.

The first surgery (around '91) was freakin' brutal, and the polyps grew back a year later. The second surgery (around '92) was significantly more effective, and - in rudimentary terms - a scope and a snare was used. The recovery was also less grueling, and did not require hospitalization. The third surgery (around '98) was better still, and - again, in dumbed down lingo - a scope and tiny auger was used.

Point is: over time, the surgical technology improved, the recovery time/effort was better, and the effectiveness increased. (Side note: I suspect my first doc was totally incompetent, though.) Hell yes the surgeries were worth it. I had no good alternative as the polyps grew and made it difficult to breathe.

These days I can get by with occasional use of a steroid spray to shrink the polyps. Hopefully I won't need surgery again for many more years.

xin

<br />
<br />The first surgery (around '91) was freakin' brutal, and the polyps grew back a year later. The second surgery (around '92) was significantly more effective, and - in rudimentary terms - a scope and a snare was used. The recovery was also less grueling, and did not require hospitalization. The third surgery (around '98) was better still, and - again, in dumbed down lingo - a scope and tiny auger was used.
<br />
<br />Point is: over time, the surgical technology improved, the recovery time/effort was better, and the effectiveness increased. (Side note: I suspect my first doc was totally incompetent, though.) Hell yes the surgeries were worth it. I had no good alternative as the polyps grew and made it difficult to breathe.
<br />
<br />These days I can get by with occasional use of a steroid spray to shrink the polyps. Hopefully I won't need surgery again for many more years.

W

welshwitch

I want to echo XIn's comment on the technology.

I had the procedures done in the early 90's when I was 12, 13.....so brutal.

Nowadays the tech. is so refined, and the process so streamlined....when I was young I had to stay overnight in the hospital.....this time I was home by 5 pm.

Now it's not a fun procedure improved technology or not.....but I must say that for me this last time around (I am 31 now, so almost 20 years had elapsed between surgery) the surgeons remarked that my polyps had grown within my sinuses so high they were almost to my eyeball! That really freaked me out and made me soooo glad that I got them taken out.

Again it has helped my health overall and just having clearer breathing through your nose is invaluable for a CF patient. The results just are worth it and make my CF milder overall. (Side note: it is already still pretty mild).

W

welshwitch

I had the procedures done in the early 90's when I was 12, 13.....so brutal.

Nowadays the tech. is so refined, and the process so streamlined....when I was young I had to stay overnight in the hospital.....this time I was home by 5 pm.

Now it's not a fun procedure improved technology or not.....but I must say that for me this last time around (I am 31 now, so almost 20 years had elapsed between surgery) the surgeons remarked that my polyps had grown within my sinuses so high they were almost to my eyeball! That really freaked me out and made me soooo glad that I got them taken out.

Again it has helped my health overall and just having clearer breathing through your nose is invaluable for a CF patient. The results just are worth it and make my CF milder overall. (Side note: it is already still pretty mild).

W

welshwitch

<br />
<br />I had the procedures done in the early 90's when I was 12, 13.....so brutal.
<br />
<br />Nowadays the tech. is so refined, and the process so streamlined....when I was young I had to stay overnight in the hospital.....this time I was home by 5 pm.
<br />
<br />Now it's not a fun procedure improved technology or not.....but I must say that for me this last time around (I am 31 now, so almost 20 years had elapsed between surgery) the surgeons remarked that my polyps had grown within my sinuses so high they were almost to my eyeball! That really freaked me out and made me soooo glad that I got them taken out.
<br />
<br />Again it has helped my health overall and just having clearer breathing through your nose is invaluable for a CF patient. The results just are worth it and make my CF milder overall. (Side note: it is already still pretty mild).

T

TleighsHusband

I believe Tiffany had around 6 sinus surgeries and it was a good thing for her. She had chronic polyps and then her sinuses would become breeding grounds for all kinds of nasty stuff. One of the things she struggled with was the drainage and infections going to her lungs from the sinuses so we were pretty aggressive with it. Having the right ENT doc is sooo important. They will make or break your experience. We have fired one ENT doc and next one we got was amazing. If Tiffany stayed aggressive with the rinsing it helped reduce the infections, polyp growth, and sinus pressure. She usually made her decision on the time for the next surgery based on the pain that she was going through with the headaches and the advice of our ENT docs. She also rinsed with gentamyacin that really helped keep infections down. If the sinuses were open it allowed that gent to get up in there and do its job. It was worth it for her.