Before my 6month old son was diagnosed with CF, it was an easy
decision.  I was going to wait until he was 2 years old to
vaccinate, and let his natural immune system develop.  Even at
two, there are some vaccinations that I would have declined
(chicken pox for example).  Now, with the diagnosis, I am
torn.  With his less than perfect constitution, he could be at
even greater risk from the complications that could possibly arise
from the vaccinations, and on the other side of the coin, if he
were to actually contract one of the viruses... it could kill him.
 So, of course, I am leaning towards vaccinating now, but
would like any input from anyone that feels their personal
experience might help me feel better about my decision either
way.<br>
<br>
Thank you for your time.<br>
<br>
Jana

mamaj

Looking for anyone that has some STRONG opinions one way or the
other... and has research or evidence to support those
opinions.<br>
<br>
<br>
way.<br>
<br>
<br>
Jana

mamaj

Looking for anyone that has some STRONG opinions one way or the
other... and has research or evidence to support those
opinions.<br>
<br>
<br>
way.<br>
<br>
<br>
Jana

anonymous

At the very least I would make sure he gets the flu shot. I have had the flu when I didn't get the shot and it took my lungs a year to get back to normal, and I still lost lung function. You are at a much higher risk to get the flu if you don't get the shot than if you do. Also, aren't there some shots you still have to get because of school?

Sue 24w/CF

anonymous

At the very least I would make sure he gets the flu shot. I have had the flu when I didn't get the shot and it took my lungs a year to get back to normal, and I still lost lung function. You are at a much higher risk to get the flu if you don't get the shot than if you do. Also, aren't there some shots you still have to get because of school?

Sue 24w/CF

anonymous

Sue 24w/CF

miesl

You want strong opinions? You'll get them here, starting with me.

I think it's highly irresponsible and deeply stupid to not vaccinate children. It's not only a disservice to the child, but also to society in general. We're trying to eliminate some of these nasty diseases that used to wipe out huge numbers of the population - failure to vaccinate just perpetuates the cycle. Go figure that recently we've been having mumps and whooping cough reappear.

*rant rant rant* *steps off soapbox*

miesl

I think it's highly irresponsible and deeply stupid to not vaccinate children. It's not only a disservice to the child, but also to society in general. We're trying to eliminate some of these nasty diseases that used to wipe out huge numbers of the population - failure to vaccinate just perpetuates the cycle. Go figure that recently we've been having mumps and whooping cough reappear.

miesl

anonymous

Agree wholeheartedly with Miesl.

Also, please be aware that the risks associated with vaccinations are substantially less than risks associated with contracting the disease. Throw in a chronic health condition like CF - well I certainly would have as much protection for my children from comorbid disease as possible - and therefore vaccinations are a necessity in my opininon.

anonymous

Also, please be aware that the risks associated with vaccinations are substantially less than risks associated with contracting the disease. Throw in a chronic health condition like CF - well I certainly would have as much protection for my children from comorbid disease as possible - and therefore vaccinations are a necessity in my opininon.

anonymous

anonymous

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>anonymous</b></i>

Also, please be aware that the risks associated with vaccinations are substantially less than risks associated with contracting the disease. Throw in a chronic health condition like CF - well I certainly would have as much protection for my children from comorbid disease as possible - and therefore vaccinations are a necessity in my opininon.</end quote></div>

That was me, BigBee - not logged in sorry...

anonymous

Also, please be aware that the risks associated with vaccinations are substantially less than risks associated with contracting the disease. Throw in a chronic health condition like CF - well I certainly would have as much protection for my children from comorbid disease as possible - and therefore vaccinations are a necessity in my opininon.</end quote></div>

anonymous

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I've never had a problem with vaccinating, although with all the stories about MMR and autism out there, I'll admit I was a tad nervous when it was time for DS's vaccine. But DH and I were both vaccinated for it when we were younger and didn't have any problems. Ditto with flu shots. We've always gotten them, so we've made sure DS has gotten his also.

When DS turned one, there was a major whooping cough outbreak in our state. Although he was vaccinated, I was worried sick. Especially when a child at his preschool came down with it and all the kids had to be put on prophylactic antibiotics.

Never thought much about the chicken pox vaccine. My siblings and I all had chickenpox and suffered no ill effects, but when DS's doctor explained how some of the chicken pox sores can get into the lungs and could cause damage. Made sure he was vaccinated for that also.

Took a trip to Mexico this past winter -- made sure DS had the Hep A series. Now it's apparently recommended for all children.

Again, we're pro-vaccination in our household. Always have been. L

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I've never had a problem with vaccinating, although with all the stories about MMR and autism out there, I'll admit I was a tad nervous when it was time for DS's vaccine. But DH and I were both vaccinated for it when we were younger and didn't have any problems. Ditto with flu shots. We've always gotten them, so we've made sure DS has gotten his also.

When DS turned one, there was a major whooping cough outbreak in our state. Although he was vaccinated, I was worried sick. Especially when a child at his preschool came down with it and all the kids had to be put on prophylactic antibiotics.

Never thought much about the chicken pox vaccine. My siblings and I all had chickenpox and suffered no ill effects, but when DS's doctor explained how some of the chicken pox sores can get into the lungs and could cause damage. Made sure he was vaccinated for that also.

Took a trip to Mexico this past winter -- made sure DS had the Hep A series. Now it's apparently recommended for all children.

Again, we're pro-vaccination in our household. Always have been. L