to vaccinate or not vaccinate

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I've never had a problem with vaccinating, although with all the stories about MMR and autism out there, I'll admit I was a tad nervous when it was time for DS's vaccine. But DH and I were both vaccinated for it when we were younger and didn't have any problems. Ditto with flu shots. We've always gotten them, so we've made sure DS has gotten his also.

When DS turned one, there was a major whooping cough outbreak in our state. Although he was vaccinated, I was worried sick. Especially when a child at his preschool came down with it and all the kids had to be put on prophylactic antibiotics.

Never thought much about the chicken pox vaccine. My siblings and I all had chickenpox and suffered no ill effects, but when DS's doctor explained how some of the chicken pox sores can get into the lungs and could cause damage. Made sure he was vaccinated for that also.

Took a trip to Mexico this past winter -- made sure DS had the Hep A series. Now it's apparently recommended for all children.

Again, we're pro-vaccination in our household. Always have been. L

anonymous

My personal opinion is absolutely vaccinate. Vaccines are one of the medical breakthoughs that have extended our longevity overall. Petussis(whooping cough), measles, mumps, rubella, polio...I can't imagine my daughter with CF getting one of these illnesses. Have you heard of someone dying from tetanus, lately? No, because of vaccines. I get my daughter the flu shot every year, she's had the chicken pox vaccine... I've heard of a new rotavirus vaccine coming out I plan to ask my ped about. With CF, Prevention is key. Vaccination is one way we can prevent just one more illness for our CF loved ones.

Recently, in our area, there was a whooping cough outbreak(pertussis). Some children are not being protected from whooping cough becasue of delayed vaccination and not being vaccinated at all. Adults whooping cough vaccination I guess does not last a lifetime so adults(even those that had been vaccianted immunity wears off ) and then can give pertussis(if they are infected) to non-vaccinated children.

Of course, there are side effects to ANYTHING you put in your body...risk vs. benefit. We'll take the vaccine.

Rebecca(mom to Sammy 8 no CF and MAggie 3 1/2 with CF)

anonymous

My personal opinion is absolutely vaccinate. Vaccines are one of the medical breakthoughs that have extended our longevity overall. Petussis(whooping cough), measles, mumps, rubella, polio...I can't imagine my daughter with CF getting one of these illnesses. Have you heard of someone dying from tetanus, lately? No, because of vaccines. I get my daughter the flu shot every year, she's had the chicken pox vaccine... I've heard of a new rotavirus vaccine coming out I plan to ask my ped about. With CF, Prevention is key. Vaccination is one way we can prevent just one more illness for our CF loved ones.

Recently, in our area, there was a whooping cough outbreak(pertussis). Some children are not being protected from whooping cough becasue of delayed vaccination and not being vaccinated at all. Adults whooping cough vaccination I guess does not last a lifetime so adults(even those that had been vaccianted immunity wears off ) and then can give pertussis(if they are infected) to non-vaccinated children.

Of course, there are side effects to ANYTHING you put in your body...risk vs. benefit. We'll take the vaccine.

anonymous

coltsfan715

I wanted to add my opinion to this. I agree with everyone else that vaccinations are important. I am not sure of the exact vaccinations that I have had, but I know that I have not had any major problems from any vaccinations that were given to me growing up.

I think that it would be more beneficial to get the vaccinations then to refuse them and hope that your child is able to avoid catching the bacteria/illness that the vaccination was for in the first place.

I agree too with the idea of getting a flu shot. I am not sure if there are age limits on those, but I get one every year. Actually I can only recall not getting one once (I got it but flu season was practically over) because there was a shortage and I had to wait to find a place to buy one because my docs office had run out. I ended up sick before I got the shot and was miserable - I had a worse time by not getting it than I ever had after getting one.

Lindsey

coltsfan715

I wanted to add my opinion to this. I agree with everyone else that vaccinations are important. I am not sure of the exact vaccinations that I have had, but I know that I have not had any major problems from any vaccinations that were given to me growing up.

I think that it would be more beneficial to get the vaccinations then to refuse them and hope that your child is able to avoid catching the bacteria/illness that the vaccination was for in the first place.

I agree too with the idea of getting a flu shot. I am not sure if there are age limits on those, but I get one every year. Actually I can only recall not getting one once (I got it but flu season was practically over) because there was a shortage and I had to wait to find a place to buy one because my docs office had run out. I ended up sick before I got the shot and was miserable - I had a worse time by not getting it than I ever had after getting one.

Lindsey

coltsfan715

Lindsey

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
On a side note -- majority of the people who got pertussis/whooping cough in our area were teens and adults. At the time there wasn't a vaccine for adults. There now is -- I received it this summer when I got my tetanus booster.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
On a side note -- majority of the people who got pertussis/whooping cough in our area were teens and adults. At the time there wasn't a vaccine for adults. There now is -- I received it this summer when I got my tetanus booster.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

anonymous

I have a 3 month old with cf, and he got all of his two month vaccinations. We did not give it a second thought. Lucky for us he didn't have any problems except a mild fever and cholic, but those are normal for all babies. I think you stand a much better chance at keeping colds and flus away with the shots than without. Don't leave you child unprotected.

anonymous

I have a 3 month old with cf, and he got all of his two month vaccinations. We did not give it a second thought. Lucky for us he didn't have any problems except a mild fever and cholic, but those are normal for all babies. I think you stand a much better chance at keeping colds and flus away with the shots than without. Don't leave you child unprotected.

anonymous

anonymous

My 3 month old son (CF) got his vaccinations as well at 2 months and will be getting more at his 4 month appt. He will also be starting the RSV shot next month and will continue monthly doses of it through the winter season. Come December, when he is 6 months, he will get the flu shot and so will my husband, my daughter (3yrs noCF) and me.

CF or not, I will never understand how some are so aginst vaccinating. Just please think long and hard about this one, especially with him having CF, this could help keep him from getting some really dangerous "bugs".

anonymous

My 3 month old son (CF) got his vaccinations as well at 2 months and will be getting more at his 4 month appt. He will also be starting the RSV shot next month and will continue monthly doses of it through the winter season. Come December, when he is 6 months, he will get the flu shot and so will my husband, my daughter (3yrs noCF) and me.

CF or not, I will never understand how some are so aginst vaccinating. Just please think long and hard about this one, especially with him having CF, this could help keep him from getting some really dangerous "bugs".

anonymous

anonymous

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>miesl</b></i>

You want strong opinions? You'll get them here, starting with me.

I think it's highly irresponsible and deeply stupid to not vaccinate children. It's not only a disservice to the child, but also to society in general. We're trying to eliminate some of these nasty diseases that used to wipe out huge numbers of the population - failure to vaccinate just perpetuates the cycle. Go figure that recently we've been having mumps and whooping cough reappear.

*rant rant rant* *steps off soapbox*</end quote></div>

I agree when it comes to children. It's the parents' responsibility to protect their kids and put them in the highest place on the prioritization chart.

I got all my vaccinations as a kid. Now that I'm an adult, I choose not to get the flu shot. The only times I've gotten the flu was when I got the shot. For me it's not a fair trade. I work from home during flu season and do what I can to keep my cooties to myself.

-lightNlife

Now that I'm

anonymous

I think it's highly irresponsible and deeply stupid to not vaccinate children. It's not only a disservice to the child, but also to society in general. We're trying to eliminate some of these nasty diseases that used to wipe out huge numbers of the population - failure to vaccinate just perpetuates the cycle. Go figure that recently we've been having mumps and whooping cough reappear.

I agree when it comes to children. It's the parents' responsibility to protect their kids and put them in the highest place on the prioritization chart.

I got all my vaccinations as a kid. Now that I'm an adult, I choose not to get the flu shot. The only times I've gotten the flu was when I got the shot. For me it's not a fair trade. I work from home during flu season and do what I can to keep my cooties to myself.

-lightNlife

Now that I'm

anonymous

-lightNlife

Now that I'm

mamaj

Thank you all very much.  I appreciate everyone's input.<br>
<br>
Let me say that I absolutely know it is my responsibility  to
protect my child.  I have been researching from the time I
found out I was pregnant... about EVERYTHING I could get my hands
on, one of the main things being vaccinations. I did not ask for
your opinions because I am an idiot that needs others to tell me
what is right and what is wrong.   I look for information
where ever it might be offered, and this forum seemed like a good
place (and it was... I really do appreciate everyone's responses).
 I will not go blindly into ANYTHING that has to do with my
child's health.  <br>
<br>
Doctors have been wrong before... and so, I even question them...
it is my right, and it is my responsibility.  I asked for
opinions...not lectures, or name calling.  <br>
<br>
<br>
I have to agree, that in this respect, I do believe that the
benefits of vaccinations, far out way the risks, and I will be
vaccinating.  I do live in Canada... and because of our
healthcare system, the percentage of those vaccinated is very high,
and so it is also very likely that I will be able to avoid exposing
my son to some of the threats that these vaccinations protect us
from(no outbreaks of anything in my city).  Because of this
protection, I will wait on some of the vaccinations until he is two