transitioning from mask to mouthpiece

ashmomo

Wow..IMO some of this sounds like torture! I can't imagine holding my kids nose plugged unless completely necessary.
My daughter is 4 and we use the mouthpiece. We just hold it in front of her nose and you can see her breathing in and out. She has never sat with it in her mouth for more than a minute or so. I didn't know that this was such an issue. If they are breathing it in, it is getting to their lungs...

ashmomo

Wow..IMO some of this sounds like torture! I can't imagine holding my kids nose plugged unless completely necessary.
My daughter is 4 and we use the mouthpiece. We just hold it in front of her nose and you can see her breathing in and out. She has never sat with it in her mouth for more than a minute or so. I didn't know that this was such an issue. If they are breathing it in, it is getting to their lungs...

ashmomo

ashmomo

ashmomo

<br />My daughter is 4 and we use the mouthpiece. We just hold it in front of her nose and you can see her breathing in and out. She has never sat with it in her mouth for more than a minute or so. I didn't know that this was such an issue. If they are breathing it in, it is getting to their lungs...

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Problem with blow by (holding the mouthpiece up to their noses) is they may not be getting enough of the medicine and it's getting dispersed into the air instead of their lungs. With Tobi especially it's important that they get that medication deep into their lungs. I think I read an article that indicated 40% or more of the medication is wasted by doing blow-by...

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Problem with blow by (holding the mouthpiece up to their noses) is they may not be getting enough of the medicine and it's getting dispersed into the air instead of their lungs. With Tobi especially it's important that they get that medication deep into their lungs. I think I read an article that indicated 40% or more of the medication is wasted by doing blow-by...

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

hmw

I haven't needed to plug Emily's nose, fortunately, when she uses her nebulizer, but we do have to keep tabs on her to ensure she takes deep breaths when using it (which, at least with the Pari neb cups we use) you can easily hear. If we can't hear her, we know she's breathing through her nose and we get on her about it. Fortunately she does well with this! The inhaler only involves a few breaths and it's absolutely imperative she does it right, to get the med into her the way she needs to... so if we need to plug her nose to make that happen, we will.

hmw

I haven't needed to plug Emily's nose, fortunately, when she uses her nebulizer, but we do have to keep tabs on her to ensure she takes deep breaths when using it (which, at least with the Pari neb cups we use) you can easily hear. If we can't hear her, we know she's breathing through her nose and we get on her about it. Fortunately she does well with this! The inhaler only involves a few breaths and it's absolutely imperative she does it right, to get the med into her the way she needs to... so if we need to plug her nose to make that happen, we will.

hmw

hmw

hmw