travelling with cf

mamaScarlett

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>saveferris2009</b></i>

be careful about those car adapters for using your compressor- your compressor might give you air output, but if it's not full power, you're getting a sub therapeutic dose of your medication.

and sub therapeutic doses with antibiotics, can be very harmful - inducing resistance.

so if you're looking to do what christian said (which i 100% agree with) to be compliant during traveling to maintain optimum health, get a compressor that is battery operated.

happy travels!</end quote></div>

yes good point-i don't do tobi in my portable when i am overseas-but its been more so that i try to coordinate my trips so i'm not doing 2 hrs of nebs per day! but what amy said is the best reason to avoid that!

my trip neb is an invacare stratos desktop. it comes with its own standard wall plug, its own car adaptor and is battery operable too. you can also get an extra battery pack with it to give you an extra hour of neb time.
of course there is the omron but its slower. but, its a great backup tool.

let us know what arrangements you decide to make-its great info for everyone!

mamaScarlett

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>saveferris2009</b></i>

be careful about those car adapters for using your compressor- your compressor might give you air output, but if it's not full power, you're getting a sub therapeutic dose of your medication.

and sub therapeutic doses with antibiotics, can be very harmful - inducing resistance.

so if you're looking to do what christian said (which i 100% agree with) to be compliant during traveling to maintain optimum health, get a compressor that is battery operated.

yes good point-i don't do tobi in my portable when i am overseas-but its been more so that i try to coordinate my trips so i'm not doing 2 hrs of nebs per day! but what amy said is the best reason to avoid that!

my trip neb is an invacare stratos desktop. it comes with its own standard wall plug, its own car adaptor and is battery operable too. you can also get an extra battery pack with it to give you an extra hour of neb time.

mamaScarlett

mamaScarlett

happy travels!</end quote>

mamaScarlett

<br />
<br />be careful about those car adapters for using your compressor- your compressor might give you air output, but if it's not full power, you're getting a sub therapeutic dose of your medication.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />and sub therapeutic doses with antibiotics, can be very harmful - inducing resistance.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />so if you're looking to do what christian said (which i 100% agree with) to be compliant during traveling to maintain optimum health, get a compressor that is battery operated.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />happy travels!</end quote>
<br />
<br />yes good point-i don't do tobi in my portable when i am overseas-but its been more so that i try to coordinate my trips so i'm not doing 2 hrs of nebs per day! but what amy said is the best reason to avoid that!
<br />
<br />my trip neb is an invacare stratos desktop. it comes with its own standard wall plug, its own car adaptor and is battery operable too. you can also get an extra battery pack with it to give you an extra hour of neb time.
<br />of course there is the omron but its slower. but, its a great backup tool.
<br />
<br />let us know what arrangements you decide to make-its great info for everyone!
<br />
<br />
<br />

saveferris2009

before I had an eFlow, I purchased a PARI compressor in Europe and in Asia. Around $150 each but well worth it for my lungs - I only this pair (well, maybe a 2nd, but I'd like to make these last as long as possible).

So I have a PARI to cover 3 continents and a 4th (eFlow) that works in all 3!

The other good thing about the eFlow if you happen to be on cycle for abx while overseas is it saves so much time! Shorter treatment times = increase compliance = healthier while traveling and when u get back :0

saveferris2009

before I had an eFlow, I purchased a PARI compressor in Europe and in Asia. Around $150 each but well worth it for my lungs - I only this pair (well, maybe a 2nd, but I'd like to make these last as long as possible).

The other good thing about the eFlow if you happen to be on cycle for abx while overseas is it saves so much time! Shorter treatment times = increase compliance = healthier while traveling and when u get back :0

saveferris2009

saveferris2009

saveferris2009

<br />
<br />So I have a PARI to cover 3 continents and a 4th (eFlow) that works in all 3!
<br />
<br />The other good thing about the eFlow if you happen to be on cycle for abx while overseas is it saves so much time! Shorter treatment times = increase compliance = healthier while traveling and when u get back :0
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

janddburke

it also helps to keep your meds in their original container. our Pharmacist was very cooperative and put 1 weeks worth in separate vials with their own labels so we only had to take what we needed (plus a few days because you NEVER know)
the smaller vials helped spacewise too.

Note from your Dr. as to why you need your vest and nebulizer etc. can't hurt.

janddburke

it also helps to keep your meds in their original container. our Pharmacist was very cooperative and put 1 weeks worth in separate vials with their own labels so we only had to take what we needed (plus a few days because you NEVER know)

janddburke

janddburke

janddburke

<br />the smaller vials helped spacewise too.
<br />
<br />Note from your Dr. as to why you need your vest and nebulizer etc. can't hurt.

camperscove

We just spent three weeks in Central America with our 6 yo w/o CF and 4 yo w/ CF. We took everything we use at home which really adds up! One of the things I would do differently is label, label, label. Oh, and label! It didn't matter how organized I was with his meds, all plastic bags look the same inside a backpack, and each bag always managed to wind up in a different spot then where I packed them the night before!
I did want to echo the thought about no two airport screening areas being the same. At some they would tell us we were "packing masters" and others they would rip everything apart and run the nebs through 800 times just to "make sure"! The best advice is to always expect the worst-case scenario and then be pleasantly surprised.
I'm looking for specifics on the types of coolers and ice packs anyone has used to transport refrigerated meds. My son hadn't cultured PA before so we didn't need TOBI, and got our docs blessing to switch from Pulmozyme to HS for a month to avoid the refrigeration issue. But no longer, it looks like PA is here to stay. Any suggestions?

camperscove

We just spent three weeks in Central America with our 6 yo w/o CF and 4 yo w/ CF. We took everything we use at home which really adds up! One of the things I would do differently is label, label, label. Oh, and label! It didn't matter how organized I was with his meds, all plastic bags look the same inside a backpack, and each bag always managed to wind up in a different spot then where I packed them the night before!
I did want to echo the thought about no two airport screening areas being the same. At some they would tell us we were "packing masters" and others they would rip everything apart and run the nebs through 800 times just to "make sure"! The best advice is to always expect the worst-case scenario and then be pleasantly surprised.
I'm looking for specifics on the types of coolers and ice packs anyone has used to transport refrigerated meds. My son hadn't cultured PA before so we didn't need TOBI, and got our docs blessing to switch from Pulmozyme to HS for a month to avoid the refrigeration issue. But no longer, it looks like PA is here to stay. Any suggestions?

camperscove

camperscove

camperscove

<br />I did want to echo the thought about no two airport screening areas being the same. At some they would tell us we were "packing masters" and others they would rip everything apart and run the nebs through 800 times just to "make sure"! The best advice is to always expect the worst-case scenario and then be pleasantly surprised.
<br />I'm looking for specifics on the types of coolers and ice packs anyone has used to transport refrigerated meds. My son hadn't cultured PA before so we didn't need TOBI, and got our docs blessing to switch from Pulmozyme to HS for a month to avoid the refrigeration issue. But no longer, it looks like PA is here to stay. Any suggestions?