travelling with cf

mamaScarlett

airborne is a concentrated vitamin c supplement drink, and they make a formula for kids too. i don't know where you live, but if its in the U.S you can get anywhere-grocery stores, walmart or any pharmacy.

for my insurance its independant travelers insurance. i didn't have any problem-but having cf, there are exclusions. only certain health emergencies would be covered. however, a flight home to my u.s. based center would be covered.

i'd talk to your cf center's social worker about it. your regular family health insurance should have some type of emergency coverage for travel. and remember that in most countries, they can not refuse someone emergency medical care at a hospital.
anyone could get injured away from home-the hospital will treat you. it might not be what you'd get at home but it would be enough to get u through.

if your child is well enough to travel in the first place, you shouldn't be stopped.

mamaScarlett

airborne is a concentrated vitamin c supplement drink, and they make a formula for kids too. i don't know where you live, but if its in the U.S you can get anywhere-grocery stores, walmart or any pharmacy.

for my insurance its independant travelers insurance. i didn't have any problem-but having cf, there are exclusions. only certain health emergencies would be covered. however, a flight home to my u.s. based center would be covered.

i'd talk to your cf center's social worker about it. your regular family health insurance should have some type of emergency coverage for travel. and remember that in most countries, they can not refuse someone emergency medical care at a hospital.
anyone could get injured away from home-the hospital will treat you. it might not be what you'd get at home but it would be enough to get u through.

if your child is well enough to travel in the first place, you shouldn't be stopped.

mamaScarlett

mamaScarlett

mamaScarlett

<br />
<br />for my insurance its independant travelers insurance. i didn't have any problem-but having cf, there are exclusions. only certain health emergencies would be covered. however, a flight home to my u.s. based center would be covered.
<br />
<br />i'd talk to your cf center's social worker about it. your regular family health insurance should have some type of emergency coverage for travel. and remember that in most countries, they can not refuse someone emergency medical care at a hospital.
<br />anyone could get injured away from home-the hospital will treat you. it might not be what you'd get at home but it would be enough to get u through.
<br />
<br />if your child is well enough to travel in the first place, you shouldn't be stopped.

camperscove

Thanks, Ratatosk! I'll look into polarpacs. We fly to clinic every three months, so it's very much worth the effort to find good ones!

camperscove

Thanks, Ratatosk! I'll look into polarpacs. We fly to clinic every three months, so it's very much worth the effort to find good ones!

camperscove

camperscove

camperscove

Nightwriter

I traveled to England last year. I searched around for Travel Insurance, and I found one that you CAN have a preexisting condition, but you cannot have had an acute illness for 30 days before the trip or that particular illness will not be covered. I told them that I had C.F. I called a few companies and this one had the best policy that I was able to find. Many of them had a 60 day preexisting clause or much much longer. I think I took out a policy for $100,000 for a three week period and it cost about $120.00. You pick the amount that you want to be insured by and for how long. I was actually going away for 2 weeks, but took the extra week -- I was way overinsured. The link is to my old insurance company that sold this policy You can also contact the travel insurance company directly. I am pretty sure the policy was called The Patriot.
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.teigit.com/internat...l-insurance.cfm
">"><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.teigit.com/international-insurance.cfm
<br ">http://www.teigit.com/internat...surance.cfm
</a></a>

The transformer for your compressor/or vest is called a step up/step down transformer and you can google this, and ask them which one you need for the particular country. I used the Pari Trek S which comes with a cord for other countries-- you just need the plug adapter. I called Pari and specifically asked if I could use Tobi if I needed it. They said, "Yes." I asked if the droplet size changed. They said "No. It will just take longer." You can call the company yourself and see what answer you get if you want to use this nebulizer.

I used the Flutter for mucus clearance and it may work for you as a backup, just in case. I took some Control III to clean it. I had access to boiled water so I rinsed it in sterile water. If you take an acappella choice it can be boiled. And I took a bottle of 90% alcohol with me -- couldn't get it in England.

How will you clean your nebulizers? There are many options. If you need this info, ask.

I would also do a nasal rinse after the plane trip and while you are there. I used a charcoal mask while I was in heavy traffic -- the car exhaust is pretty bad in other countries.

Supplements: I took Airborne, zinc lozenges, Zicam, Dristan 12 hr Nasal spray with me for colds.

Next time I would also take a small bottle of dishwashing liquid, because I couldn't find any without formaldehyde in it -- which is very harmful to the lungs.

I also checked out a pharmacy on line that sold compressors at a reasonable price in case mine broke (which has happened traveling) or if I decided that I did need one for Tobi.

Nightwriter

I traveled to England last year. I searched around for Travel Insurance, and I found one that you CAN have a preexisting condition, but you cannot have had an acute illness for 30 days before the trip or that particular illness will not be covered. I told them that I had C.F. I called a few companies and this one had the best policy that I was able to find. Many of them had a 60 day preexisting clause or much much longer. I think I took out a policy for $100,000 for a three week period and it cost about $120.00. You pick the amount that you want to be insured by and for how long. I was actually going away for 2 weeks, but took the extra week -- I was way overinsured. The link is to my old insurance company that sold this policy You can also contact the travel insurance company directly. I am pretty sure the policy was called The Patriot.
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.teigit.com/internat...l-insurance.cfm
">"><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.teigit.com/international-insurance.cfm
</a></a>

The transformer for your compressor/or vest is called a step up/step down transformer and you can google this, and ask them which one you need for the particular country. I used the Pari Trek S which comes with a cord for other countries-- you just need the plug adapter. I called Pari and specifically asked if I could use Tobi if I needed it. They said, "Yes." I asked if the droplet size changed. They said "No. It will just take longer." You can call the company yourself and see what answer you get if you want to use this nebulizer.

I used the Flutter for mucus clearance and it may work for you as a backup, just in case. I took some Control III to clean it. I had access to boiled water so I rinsed it in sterile water. If you take an acappella choice it can be boiled. And I took a bottle of 90% alcohol with me -- couldn't get it in England.

How will you clean your nebulizers? There are many options. If you need this info, ask.

I would also do a nasal rinse after the plane trip and while you are there. I used a charcoal mask while I was in heavy traffic -- the car exhaust is pretty bad in other countries.

Supplements: I took Airborne, zinc lozenges, Zicam, Dristan 12 hr Nasal spray with me for colds.

Next time I would also take a small bottle of dishwashing liquid, because I couldn't find any without formaldehyde in it -- which is very harmful to the lungs.

I also checked out a pharmacy on line that sold compressors at a reasonable price in case mine broke (which has happened traveling) or if I decided that I did need one for Tobi.

Nightwriter

</a></a>

Nightwriter

</a></a>

Nightwriter

<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.teigit.com/internat...l-insurance.cfm
<br /><br ">http://www.teigit.com/internat...surance.cfm
</a><br /></a>
<br />
<br />The transformer for your compressor/or vest is called a step up/step down transformer and you can google this, and ask them which one you need for the particular country. I used the Pari Trek S which comes with a cord for other countries-- you just need the plug adapter. I called Pari and specifically asked if I could use Tobi if I needed it. They said, "Yes." I asked if the droplet size changed. They said "No. It will just take longer." You can call the company yourself and see what answer you get if you want to use this nebulizer.
<br />
<br />I used the Flutter for mucus clearance and it may work for you as a backup, just in case. I took some Control III to clean it. I had access to boiled water so I rinsed it in sterile water. If you take an acappella choice it can be boiled. And I took a bottle of 90% alcohol with me -- couldn't get it in England.
<br />
<br />How will you clean your nebulizers? There are many options. If you need this info, ask.
<br />
<br />I would also do a nasal rinse after the plane trip and while you are there. I used a charcoal mask while I was in heavy traffic -- the car exhaust is pretty bad in other countries.
<br />
<br />Supplements: I took Airborne, zinc lozenges, Zicam, Dristan 12 hr Nasal spray with me for colds.
<br />
<br />Next time I would also take a small bottle of dishwashing liquid, because I couldn't find any without formaldehyde in it -- which is very harmful to the lungs.
<br />
<br />I also checked out a pharmacy on line that sold compressors at a reasonable price in case mine broke (which has happened traveling) or if I decided that I did need one for Tobi.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I spelled it wrong -- looked in the freezer last night and it said Polar Pack -- with a "k". They're a gel in a white plastic wrapper, blue lettering. I found a link for them -- thermosafe.com. I guess you could ask your local pharmacy or any places which ship food for a good ice pack. When we went to Florida in January, I used an icepack that I'd gotten in a shipment of chocolate from the chocolate of the month club and it retained it's temp as well. Stayed frozen for several hours.

When we had a diabetic dog, I used those blue ones people use for camping for a 1 hour trip to my inlaws lake place and those were worthless.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I spelled it wrong -- looked in the freezer last night and it said Polar Pack -- with a "k". They're a gel in a white plastic wrapper, blue lettering. I found a link for them -- thermosafe.com. I guess you could ask your local pharmacy or any places which ship food for a good ice pack. When we went to Florida in January, I used an icepack that I'd gotten in a shipment of chocolate from the chocolate of the month club and it retained it's temp as well. Stayed frozen for several hours.

When we had a diabetic dog, I used those blue ones people use for camping for a 1 hour trip to my inlaws lake place and those were worthless.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />When we had a diabetic dog, I used those blue ones people use for camping for a 1 hour trip to my inlaws lake place and those were worthless.