tune ups??

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>jdprecious</b></i>

sherry... her pfts are all above 80% ... so that is why i am questioning it too... they did do another throat culture on her... if it cultures something then of course i dont have a problem putting her in for the tune up.... what i have a problem with is if she just cultures normal oral flora like she has been and then this particular doc wants to put her in for just a cough... that is my concern...</end quote></div>

I just want to mention that 80% for a 5 year old who you say is in good shape for a CFer really isnt a great PFT IMHO. Now I realize an accurate pft at a young age is difficult. Something also that tripped a light for me is that she is having throat cultures done. This is less accurate then a sputum culture. Sadly isnt not a guarantee that there isnt something else brewing in her lungs themselves. Now that more info has been presented I would reconsider the treatment (not necessarily in the hospital for the reasons in question). If her pft is 80% now it can dropped drastically during a full fledged infection/exacerbation. I would be curious as to whether having some ivs would indeed boost that pft up some.

As this topic carries on farther I can see why the doctor might recommend ivs. Obviously it is your decision. Has she ever had iv's? When was the last time she had a pft?

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>jdprecious</b></i>

sherry... her pfts are all above 80% ... so that is why i am questioning it too... they did do another throat culture on her... if it cultures something then of course i dont have a problem putting her in for the tune up.... what i have a problem with is if she just cultures normal oral flora like she has been and then this particular doc wants to put her in for just a cough... that is my concern...</end quote></div>

I just want to mention that 80% for a 5 year old who you say is in good shape for a CFer really isnt a great PFT IMHO. Now I realize an accurate pft at a young age is difficult. Something also that tripped a light for me is that she is having throat cultures done. This is less accurate then a sputum culture. Sadly isnt not a guarantee that there isnt something else brewing in her lungs themselves. Now that more info has been presented I would reconsider the treatment (not necessarily in the hospital for the reasons in question). If her pft is 80% now it can dropped drastically during a full fledged infection/exacerbation. I would be curious as to whether having some ivs would indeed boost that pft up some.

As this topic carries on farther I can see why the doctor might recommend ivs. Obviously it is your decision. Has she ever had iv's? When was the last time she had a pft?

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

sherry... her pfts are all above 80% ... so that is why i am questioning it too... they did do another throat culture on her... if it cultures something then of course i dont have a problem putting her in for the tune up.... what i have a problem with is if she just cultures normal oral flora like she has been and then this particular doc wants to put her in for just a cough... that is my concern...</end quote>

JazzysMom

sherry... her pfts are all above 80% ... so that is why i am questioning it too... they did do another throat culture on her... if it cultures something then of course i dont have a problem putting her in for the tune up.... what i have a problem with is if she just cultures normal oral flora like she has been and then this particular doc wants to put her in for just a cough... that is my concern...</end quote>

jdprecious

all they tell me about her pft's is that they are over 80% which is what they consider normal.... because she cant really do the machine correctly they told me the readings are off... so whether it is 99 or 89 i do not know... her fev1 is 97 % but i dont know what that means either and she has never had iv's before... her last pft and cultures were taken on tuesday. And i do believe the cultures are sputum cultures... if i said throat... disregard.

jdprecious

all they tell me about her pft's is that they are over 80% which is what they consider normal.... because she cant really do the machine correctly they told me the readings are off... so whether it is 99 or 89 i do not know... her fev1 is 97 % but i dont know what that means either and she has never had iv's before... her last pft and cultures were taken on tuesday. And i do believe the cultures are sputum cultures... if i said throat... disregard.

jdprecious

jdprecious

jdprecious

jdprecious

LouLou

Jessica, I just wanted to say you are being a good mommy by being on this site and learning more about cf and care for your child. After all how can you question the care or not question the care for that matter that your daughter is getting if you aren't informed. Although some of us might come off sort of strong, we're all here to learn and are happy that you're striving to be involved with Jae's care not just being a yes man. It's not fun putting yourself out on a limb to be attacked. It takes A LOT of work to care for a cfer and your understanding of why she needs you is so important. I hope you keep posting. No question is stupid. The more you read on here the more you'll see how much varies with cf. For example, the way you say all cfers cough up mucus. This isn't true. There are many adults on here that aren't productive. Does it mean they have mild cf? Not always. Some just aren't doing proper lung clearance, some are dehydrated and can't get the mucus out while others maybe don't have much mucus to get out. A change in mucus production amount is reason for concern if nothing has changed. The fact that Jae has started the Vest might very well be the reason for more mucus but the doctors don't want to see a productive cough at age 5 if it can be avoided. Not to say they don't want her to get the mucus out but rather they don't want there to be any mucus to come out. A sputum culture is a great next step after a mucus production increase is discovered because like others have said if there's no bug to treat then IVs aren't the thing to do. Maybe it is allergy related. You've got to give them credit for trying to get to the bottom of it.

LouLou

Jessica, I just wanted to say you are being a good mommy by being on this site and learning more about cf and care for your child. After all how can you question the care or not question the care for that matter that your daughter is getting if you aren't informed. Although some of us might come off sort of strong, we're all here to learn and are happy that you're striving to be involved with Jae's care not just being a yes man. It's not fun putting yourself out on a limb to be attacked. It takes A LOT of work to care for a cfer and your understanding of why she needs you is so important. I hope you keep posting. No question is stupid. The more you read on here the more you'll see how much varies with cf. For example, the way you say all cfers cough up mucus. This isn't true. There are many adults on here that aren't productive. Does it mean they have mild cf? Not always. Some just aren't doing proper lung clearance, some are dehydrated and can't get the mucus out while others maybe don't have much mucus to get out. A change in mucus production amount is reason for concern if nothing has changed. The fact that Jae has started the Vest might very well be the reason for more mucus but the doctors don't want to see a productive cough at age 5 if it can be avoided. Not to say they don't want her to get the mucus out but rather they don't want there to be any mucus to come out. A sputum culture is a great next step after a mucus production increase is discovered because like others have said if there's no bug to treat then IVs aren't the thing to do. Maybe it is allergy related. You've got to give them credit for trying to get to the bottom of it.

LouLou

LouLou