What is the point of the CF nurse?

TestifyToLove

Maybe I'm missing something here. When I have a problem, I assume my first step is to speak to the nurse, to see if its something she can handle or whether it needs to be referred to the doctor.

Is this not the purpose of a CF nurse? Because, its certainly the purpose of a nurse in any other doctor's office.

Everytime I talk to M's nurse, she gives me a run around. She gives me BS, inaccurate information that is not consistent to what his doctors have said nor what is consistent with his case and needs. Never once does she tell me she doesn't have his chart, she's not familiar with what's going on or that she needs to consult the doctor. She just pulls stuff out of her rear to justify incorrect information.

When we were getting ready for the hospital stay, she kept telling me M was being hospitalized so they could educate Dh and I about CF. This was NOT what Dh and I agreed to. Its not what the doctor discussed with us. She repeatedly said we'd meet with a social worker and a nutritionalist and they would check to see what was wrong with his G-tube. And, everytime I told her there was NOTHING wrong with his g-tube, she got condescending and rude to me.

Turned out, the hospital stay was what the doctor said and nothing of what the nurse kept insisting it was going to be. M never saw a social worker nor a nutritionalist. He saw doctors, had testing, evaluations and buttloads of antibiotics. He was never seen by a nutritionalist, nor by a social worker. And, not one doctor implied his g-tube had a problem. They all understood the g-tube is not being used and does not need to be used currently.

Then, this morning, I called the nurse because the meds were totally messed up. The resident specifically stated to Dh that he prescribed them as 'via g-tube' so that the pharmacy would dispense them in liquid form. Instead, we were given adult dose pills. Even the prevacid was given as a pill versus the solutab he's been on.

The nurse informs me there's nothing wrong with the meds. There's nothing wrong with asking M to swallow a dozen adult OTC vitamin pills, which are in doses significantly lower than what he needs. She informs me that the vitamins would have been prescribed based upon what his vitamin levels were in the hospital.

When I pointed out to her that his vitmain levels were critically low and his Liver doctor said he needed HIGHER levels of the vitamins, and that these pills cannot possiblly be bio-attainable for him, she informs me I'll have to discuss this with the doctor next time we see him.

I finally asked her to please let the doctor know I need to talk with him. I guess I'll deal with the PTT lab that home health wouldn't run with the doctor directly as well. And, I'm not sure *who* I'm supposed to speak to to find out what time Thursday to bring M into the clinic.

But, I'm completely confused here. Why can't the nurse check the chart, see what the doctors WANT on his meds. And, if necessary talk to the doctor. Call me back and see if we can't get this straightened out quickly. Give that his vitamin levels have been critically low since January and he's been essentially OFF vitamins for the last month because of repeated mistakes with the vitamin orders, I personally think its worth taking some effort to find out what is going on and get it fixed. Is this NOT the job of the clinic nurse to work with me and get these things straightened out?

If not, can someone explain to me what the role of the CF clinic nurse is if its not to liason and work with the patients and parents to manage their care?

TestifyToLove

Maybe I'm missing something here. When I have a problem, I assume my first step is to speak to the nurse, to see if its something she can handle or whether it needs to be referred to the doctor.

Is this not the purpose of a CF nurse? Because, its certainly the purpose of a nurse in any other doctor's office.

Everytime I talk to M's nurse, she gives me a run around. She gives me BS, inaccurate information that is not consistent to what his doctors have said nor what is consistent with his case and needs. Never once does she tell me she doesn't have his chart, she's not familiar with what's going on or that she needs to consult the doctor. She just pulls stuff out of her rear to justify incorrect information.

When we were getting ready for the hospital stay, she kept telling me M was being hospitalized so they could educate Dh and I about CF. This was NOT what Dh and I agreed to. Its not what the doctor discussed with us. She repeatedly said we'd meet with a social worker and a nutritionalist and they would check to see what was wrong with his G-tube. And, everytime I told her there was NOTHING wrong with his g-tube, she got condescending and rude to me.

Turned out, the hospital stay was what the doctor said and nothing of what the nurse kept insisting it was going to be. M never saw a social worker nor a nutritionalist. He saw doctors, had testing, evaluations and buttloads of antibiotics. He was never seen by a nutritionalist, nor by a social worker. And, not one doctor implied his g-tube had a problem. They all understood the g-tube is not being used and does not need to be used currently.

Then, this morning, I called the nurse because the meds were totally messed up. The resident specifically stated to Dh that he prescribed them as 'via g-tube' so that the pharmacy would dispense them in liquid form. Instead, we were given adult dose pills. Even the prevacid was given as a pill versus the solutab he's been on.

The nurse informs me there's nothing wrong with the meds. There's nothing wrong with asking M to swallow a dozen adult OTC vitamin pills, which are in doses significantly lower than what he needs. She informs me that the vitamins would have been prescribed based upon what his vitamin levels were in the hospital.

When I pointed out to her that his vitmain levels were critically low and his Liver doctor said he needed HIGHER levels of the vitamins, and that these pills cannot possiblly be bio-attainable for him, she informs me I'll have to discuss this with the doctor next time we see him.

I finally asked her to please let the doctor know I need to talk with him. I guess I'll deal with the PTT lab that home health wouldn't run with the doctor directly as well. And, I'm not sure *who* I'm supposed to speak to to find out what time Thursday to bring M into the clinic.

But, I'm completely confused here. Why can't the nurse check the chart, see what the doctors WANT on his meds. And, if necessary talk to the doctor. Call me back and see if we can't get this straightened out quickly. Give that his vitamin levels have been critically low since January and he's been essentially OFF vitamins for the last month because of repeated mistakes with the vitamin orders, I personally think its worth taking some effort to find out what is going on and get it fixed. Is this NOT the job of the clinic nurse to work with me and get these things straightened out?

If not, can someone explain to me what the role of the CF clinic nurse is if its not to liason and work with the patients and parents to manage their care?

TestifyToLove

TestifyToLove

TestifyToLove

<br />
<br />Is this not the purpose of a CF nurse? Because, its certainly the purpose of a nurse in any other doctor's office.
<br />
<br />Everytime I talk to M's nurse, she gives me a run around. She gives me BS, inaccurate information that is not consistent to what his doctors have said nor what is consistent with his case and needs. Never once does she tell me she doesn't have his chart, she's not familiar with what's going on or that she needs to consult the doctor. She just pulls stuff out of her rear to justify incorrect information.
<br />
<br />When we were getting ready for the hospital stay, she kept telling me M was being hospitalized so they could educate Dh and I about CF. This was NOT what Dh and I agreed to. Its not what the doctor discussed with us. She repeatedly said we'd meet with a social worker and a nutritionalist and they would check to see what was wrong with his G-tube. And, everytime I told her there was NOTHING wrong with his g-tube, she got condescending and rude to me.
<br />
<br />Turned out, the hospital stay was what the doctor said and nothing of what the nurse kept insisting it was going to be. M never saw a social worker nor a nutritionalist. He saw doctors, had testing, evaluations and buttloads of antibiotics. He was never seen by a nutritionalist, nor by a social worker. And, not one doctor implied his g-tube had a problem. They all understood the g-tube is not being used and does not need to be used currently.
<br />
<br />Then, this morning, I called the nurse because the meds were totally messed up. The resident specifically stated to Dh that he prescribed them as 'via g-tube' so that the pharmacy would dispense them in liquid form. Instead, we were given adult dose pills. Even the prevacid was given as a pill versus the solutab he's been on.
<br />
<br />The nurse informs me there's nothing wrong with the meds. There's nothing wrong with asking M to swallow a dozen adult OTC vitamin pills, which are in doses significantly lower than what he needs. She informs me that the vitamins would have been prescribed based upon what his vitamin levels were in the hospital.
<br />
<br />When I pointed out to her that his vitmain levels were critically low and his Liver doctor said he needed HIGHER levels of the vitamins, and that these pills cannot possiblly be bio-attainable for him, she informs me I'll have to discuss this with the doctor next time we see him.
<br />
<br />I finally asked her to please let the doctor know I need to talk with him. I guess I'll deal with the PTT lab that home health wouldn't run with the doctor directly as well. And, I'm not sure *who* I'm supposed to speak to to find out what time Thursday to bring M into the clinic.
<br />
<br />But, I'm completely confused here. Why can't the nurse check the chart, see what the doctors WANT on his meds. And, if necessary talk to the doctor. Call me back and see if we can't get this straightened out quickly. Give that his vitamin levels have been critically low since January and he's been essentially OFF vitamins for the last month because of repeated mistakes with the vitamin orders, I personally think its worth taking some effort to find out what is going on and get it fixed. Is this NOT the job of the clinic nurse to work with me and get these things straightened out?
<br />
<br />If not, can someone explain to me what the role of the CF clinic nurse is if its not to liason and work with the patients and parents to manage their care?

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't run into this at our regular CF clinic or when we used to go to the local one -- they were MORE than helpful. Not the case with the receptionists/nurses at the peds clinic where the head of the local CF program and DS's pediatrician is located. Time and time again we can't get past the them to get clear concise answers and when I've tried to bring it up at appointments -- like why we had to go to the City to get a flu shot because even though there were plenty for high risk patients at the local clinic, the nurse refused to schedule one --- I was told by the doctor that there "must've been a mis-understanding".

When DS developed bronchitis shortly after his 2 month well child visit and I was trying to get him into the doctor to see him. The nurse told me to put him in his car seat and squirt saline up his nose and then let him sit and suction his nose out. Hello -- nasty COUGH!

When I tried to get DS' albuterol script renewed, the nurse told me to see if it floats because there's always more in there than we think there is. This is despite telling her numerous times that this is for the nebulizer and comes in a glass bottle with a medicine dropper.

We finally made a short appointment with the doctor to discuss some of these issues to clear the air. Had a written list of things to discuss with him and I took lots of notes. And heck, maybe your doctor will be ameniable to giving you either his email address or direct phone number, so you can skip the "middleman".

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't run into this at our regular CF clinic or when we used to go to the local one -- they were MORE than helpful. Not the case with the receptionists/nurses at the peds clinic where the head of the local CF program and DS's pediatrician is located. Time and time again we can't get past the them to get clear concise answers and when I've tried to bring it up at appointments -- like why we had to go to the City to get a flu shot because even though there were plenty for high risk patients at the local clinic, the nurse refused to schedule one --- I was told by the doctor that there "must've been a mis-understanding".

When DS developed bronchitis shortly after his 2 month well child visit and I was trying to get him into the doctor to see him. The nurse told me to put him in his car seat and squirt saline up his nose and then let him sit and suction his nose out. Hello -- nasty COUGH!

When I tried to get DS' albuterol script renewed, the nurse told me to see if it floats because there's always more in there than we think there is. This is despite telling her numerous times that this is for the nebulizer and comes in a glass bottle with a medicine dropper.

We finally made a short appointment with the doctor to discuss some of these issues to clear the air. Had a written list of things to discuss with him and I took lots of notes. And heck, maybe your doctor will be ameniable to giving you either his email address or direct phone number, so you can skip the "middleman".

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />When DS developed bronchitis shortly after his 2 month well child visit and I was trying to get him into the doctor to see him. The nurse told me to put him in his car seat and squirt saline up his nose and then let him sit and suction his nose out. Hello -- nasty COUGH!
<br />
<br />When I tried to get DS' albuterol script renewed, the nurse told me to see if it floats because there's always more in there than we think there is. This is despite telling her numerous times that this is for the nebulizer and comes in a glass bottle with a medicine dropper.
<br />
<br />We finally made a short appointment with the doctor to discuss some of these issues to clear the air. Had a written list of things to discuss with him and I took lots of notes. And heck, maybe your doctor will be ameniable to giving you either his email address or direct phone number, so you can skip the "middleman".
<br />

kathiel

I think you are absolutely correct in thinking that the nurse should be a liason with the dr. Whenever I call in, the patient rep takes a message with symptoms, then the nurse will pull the chart and call back to confirm symptoms and see if anything has changed, then talk with the dr and call me back with a plan of action or immediate appointment.

kathiel

I think you are absolutely correct in thinking that the nurse should be a liason with the dr. Whenever I call in, the patient rep takes a message with symptoms, then the nurse will pull the chart and call back to confirm symptoms and see if anything has changed, then talk with the dr and call me back with a plan of action or immediate appointment.

kathiel

kathiel

kathiel

<br />

TestifyToLove

I've put a call in with the nutritionalist to see if she can streamline this issue with the vitamins. He's not been adequately treated for his vitamin defficiencies since homecoming. The first script they wrote was for ADEK, which was what he was taken off of in January when the levels dropped. We tried to get through to the doctor to get that fixed, and the nurse blew us off.

So, we tried transferring his scripts from before, and the name on the script didn't match our health insurance and our insurance refused to pay for them. We tried to get the nurse to help us fix that and she blew us off.

We then waited because we were a week from hospitalization and figured we'd get it straightened out with the doctors directly while in-patient. Only, its not straightened out. And, I got to listen to lectures from several doctors last week about his vitamin levels like I'm not paying attention to this need!

Dh and I are going to sit down tonight and formulate a plan for discussing this with the doctor on Thursday. Ever since we brought M home, this nurse has been an issue. She wasn't prior to his homecoming but she has become rude, consecending and refuses to even check his chart before she starts trying to feed me BS now that he's actually home. Its just not acceptable any longer.

I have another son who sees a speciality clinic for a severe medical issue and I moved speciality clinics and drive 3 hours in large part because the first nurse was such a witch to me. I won't hesitate to do it again. But, I really, really like M's doctor and would rather find a resolution to this problem.

TestifyToLove

I've put a call in with the nutritionalist to see if she can streamline this issue with the vitamins. He's not been adequately treated for his vitamin defficiencies since homecoming. The first script they wrote was for ADEK, which was what he was taken off of in January when the levels dropped. We tried to get through to the doctor to get that fixed, and the nurse blew us off.

So, we tried transferring his scripts from before, and the name on the script didn't match our health insurance and our insurance refused to pay for them. We tried to get the nurse to help us fix that and she blew us off.

We then waited because we were a week from hospitalization and figured we'd get it straightened out with the doctors directly while in-patient. Only, its not straightened out. And, I got to listen to lectures from several doctors last week about his vitamin levels like I'm not paying attention to this need!

Dh and I are going to sit down tonight and formulate a plan for discussing this with the doctor on Thursday. Ever since we brought M home, this nurse has been an issue. She wasn't prior to his homecoming but she has become rude, consecending and refuses to even check his chart before she starts trying to feed me BS now that he's actually home. Its just not acceptable any longer.

I have another son who sees a speciality clinic for a severe medical issue and I moved speciality clinics and drive 3 hours in large part because the first nurse was such a witch to me. I won't hesitate to do it again. But, I really, really like M's doctor and would rather find a resolution to this problem.

TestifyToLove

TestifyToLove

TestifyToLove

<br />
<br />So, we tried transferring his scripts from before, and the name on the script didn't match our health insurance and our insurance refused to pay for them. We tried to get the nurse to help us fix that and she blew us off.
<br />
<br />We then waited because we were a week from hospitalization and figured we'd get it straightened out with the doctors directly while in-patient. Only, its not straightened out. And, I got to listen to lectures from several doctors last week about his vitamin levels like I'm not paying attention to this need!
<br />
<br />Dh and I are going to sit down tonight and formulate a plan for discussing this with the doctor on Thursday. Ever since we brought M home, this nurse has been an issue. She wasn't prior to his homecoming but she has become rude, consecending and refuses to even check his chart before she starts trying to feed me BS now that he's actually home. Its just not acceptable any longer.
<br />
<br />I have another son who sees a speciality clinic for a severe medical issue and I moved speciality clinics and drive 3 hours in large part because the first nurse was such a witch to me. I won't hesitate to do it again. But, I really, really like M's doctor and would rather find a resolution to this problem.