What to do when the insurance runs out?

U

usedtobeinca

I agree w/Folione that a gov't position may be a viable option (I'm a City employee myself). I might also suggest that you research the available plans and switch to another provider (one w/o a lifetime cap, doesn't exclude CF, covers the necessary meds and allows access to a CFF accredited care center) at the next open enrollment if that is an option. A bit of research to do for sure.

Also I've heard great things about Beth Sufain as mentioned above - you may want to get into contact with her.

In the near-term have your doc register your kiddo with the Wee-Care program through the CF Services Pharmacy. I don't know how old you child is but they provide free pancreatic enzymes and liquid vitamin supplements for the first 2 yrs of life. Your insurance not needing to cover these maintenance items may slow your march toward the cap.

8:20pm: Just had another idea - you could also look into a private health insurance policy online, OR if it comes to it someone could take a 'lifeboat' position at a Starbucks or something where you get health insurance with PT work. Could do something along those lines while waiting for open enrollment or another job. Obviously two more extreme scenarios but maybe useful depending on how close you are.

U

usedtobeinca

I agree w/Folione that a gov't position may be a viable option (I'm a City employee myself). I might also suggest that you research the available plans and switch to another provider (one w/o a lifetime cap, doesn't exclude CF, covers the necessary meds and allows access to a CFF accredited care center) at the next open enrollment if that is an option. A bit of research to do for sure.

Also I've heard great things about Beth Sufain as mentioned above - you may want to get into contact with her.

In the near-term have your doc register your kiddo with the Wee-Care program through the CF Services Pharmacy. I don't know how old you child is but they provide free pancreatic enzymes and liquid vitamin supplements for the first 2 yrs of life. Your insurance not needing to cover these maintenance items may slow your march toward the cap.

8:20pm: Just had another idea - you could also look into a private health insurance policy online, OR if it comes to it someone could take a 'lifeboat' position at a Starbucks or something where you get health insurance with PT work. Could do something along those lines while waiting for open enrollment or another job. Obviously two more extreme scenarios but maybe useful depending on how close you are.

U

usedtobeinca

U

usedtobeinca

U

usedtobeinca

T

tarheel

I am so incredibly blessed to be born into a family that can cover for my medical needs (I'm 14) but looking into the future, i do wonder what will happens when im 21 and i have to get my own insurance or when the cap is reached. This is deffinatley an issue that needs attention, because unless the gov. does something i predict that many ppl with medical bills higher than mt. mckinley will be filing for bankrupcy. I dont think in any way that this will happen to you (more in the way of cancer that pops up when someone doesnt have health insurance) but as dumb as this seems im encouraging ppl to write their congressmen. make 'em work for that big leather chair.

T

tarheel

I am so incredibly blessed to be born into a family that can cover for my medical needs (I'm 14) but looking into the future, i do wonder what will happens when im 21 and i have to get my own insurance or when the cap is reached. This is deffinatley an issue that needs attention, because unless the gov. does something i predict that many ppl with medical bills higher than mt. mckinley will be filing for bankrupcy. I dont think in any way that this will happen to you (more in the way of cancer that pops up when someone doesnt have health insurance) but as dumb as this seems im encouraging ppl to write their congressmen. make 'em work for that big leather chair.

T

tarheel

T

tarheel

T

tarheel

T

tarheel

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Mommafirst</b></i>

I went to a fabulous speech given by Beth Sufian. Google her name and you will find she is a lawyer who has CF that works for CF patients. The speech was incredible and I learned a great deal. That million dollar cap is for one policy, so as Alyssa said you may have to change companies or add different policies. Always make sure you don't let your insurance lapse or CF will become a preexisting condition they can either deny you for or make you wait up to two years before you can make a claim.

We are right with you in the middle class crunch. We make too much to get aid, and too little for all these medical bills not to hurt. You should look into other programs though. We don't qualify for medicaid, but if my daughters lung function declines, she'll qualify for BCMH (bureau for children with medical handicaps) thats our state program, different states have different programs and they are based on diagnosis and health, not only on salary. SSI also has a program that can be documented based on health not income.

Try not to panic about this, but do be as proactive as possible as well.

What enzymes does your son take? Creon has a program where you get free enzymes and free vitamins through their second birthday. Pancreacarb has a different program. These are not income based, and I highly suggest you get yourself signed up for these. You have to ask about them, but they will quickly get you signed up.

Hang in there, I know how manic I felt in the early days, heck I still feel that way quite a bit.</end quote></div>

I take creon and they have a program for free multivitamins and like boost- and im a lot older than 2. Check into things that are not traditional plans. they'll help cover things insurance wont.

T

tarheel

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Mommafirst</b></i>

I went to a fabulous speech given by Beth Sufian. Google her name and you will find she is a lawyer who has CF that works for CF patients. The speech was incredible and I learned a great deal. That million dollar cap is for one policy, so as Alyssa said you may have to change companies or add different policies. Always make sure you don't let your insurance lapse or CF will become a preexisting condition they can either deny you for or make you wait up to two years before you can make a claim.

We are right with you in the middle class crunch. We make too much to get aid, and too little for all these medical bills not to hurt. You should look into other programs though. We don't qualify for medicaid, but if my daughters lung function declines, she'll qualify for BCMH (bureau for children with medical handicaps) thats our state program, different states have different programs and they are based on diagnosis and health, not only on salary. SSI also has a program that can be documented based on health not income.

What enzymes does your son take? Creon has a program where you get free enzymes and free vitamins through their second birthday. Pancreacarb has a different program. These are not income based, and I highly suggest you get yourself signed up for these. You have to ask about them, but they will quickly get you signed up.

Hang in there, I know how manic I felt in the early days, heck I still feel that way quite a bit.</end quote></div>

I take creon and they have a program for free multivitamins and like boost- and im a lot older than 2. Check into things that are not traditional plans. they'll help cover things insurance wont.

T

tarheel

T

tarheel

Hang in there, I know how manic I felt in the early days, heck I still feel that way quite a bit.</end quote>

T

tarheel

Hang in there, I know how manic I felt in the early days, heck I still feel that way quite a bit.</end quote>

AbbysMama

SARAHSARAH,

Thanks for bringing this subject to light. My husband and I were considering both of us having teaching careers (I'm already at full-time teacher), but after reading this thread, I'm not wondering if we need to re-think teaching in the same school district like we had originally planned. Definately food for thought here. We're no where near the point where we have to worry about these issues, but I know we'll make too much for help if/when the time comes.

Thank you again for typing about something that many of us don't think about.

Emily

AbbysMama

SARAHSARAH,

Thanks for bringing this subject to light. My husband and I were considering both of us having teaching careers (I'm already at full-time teacher), but after reading this thread, I'm not wondering if we need to re-think teaching in the same school district like we had originally planned. Definately food for thought here. We're no where near the point where we have to worry about these issues, but I know we'll make too much for help if/when the time comes.

Emily

AbbysMama

SARAHSARAH,

Emily

AbbysMama

SARAHSARAH,

Emily

AbbysMama

SARAHSARAH,

Emily