who else is struggling with mrsa

taraann

that is exactly my point. i know it is the mrsa causing problems because he has nothing else. His seems to be constantly acting up now <u>unless</u> he is on an antibiotic. i don't call this bacteria harmless. i am afraid it is getting stronger in there because his infections are more frequent. Any time he gets "a cold" it turns into pnemonia or a cf exacerbation, and the only thing that cultures is Mrsa. He has been on Vancomycin and that does not even do the trick. Does anyone know if azythromycin fights mrsa? Since he can't be off of an antibiotic for more than two weeks or so i was thinking of seeing if he should go on that permanantly.

If i keep him off of antibiotics for more than 1 month he starts getting really sick. once the infection starts it seems to move fast until treated. knocking it down just a little, but not all the way.

taraann

that is exactly my point. i know it is the mrsa causing problems because he has nothing else. His seems to be constantly acting up now <u>unless</u> he is on an antibiotic. i don't call this bacteria harmless. i am afraid it is getting stronger in there because his infections are more frequent. Any time he gets "a cold" it turns into pnemonia or a cf exacerbation, and the only thing that cultures is Mrsa. He has been on Vancomycin and that does not even do the trick. Does anyone know if azythromycin fights mrsa? Since he can't be off of an antibiotic for more than two weeks or so i was thinking of seeing if he should go on that permanantly.

If i keep him off of antibiotics for more than 1 month he starts getting really sick. once the infection starts it seems to move fast until treated. knocking it down just a little, but not all the way.

taraann

taraann

taraann

<br />
<br />If i keep him off of antibiotics for more than 1 month he starts getting really sick. once the infection starts it seems to move fast until treated. knocking it down just a little, but not all the way.

I am 46 and have CF. I too have had mostly sinus issue. (15 sinus surgeries). In the last 20 months I've had 3 of the 15 surgeries and during the first one I contracted MRSA. It gets better with antibiotics but once I'm off it hits me pretty hard again. It has been ongoing since I got it. I don't really see any side effects of the drugs but they it's a pain to continually be put back on them. Best advice I can give is not to let MRSA go too long because it can hit pretty hard. (Had to do 2 weeks in the hospital in October because my FEV went down to 43%).
Daveyboy209, Male 46 with CF, MRSA, ABPA, married with one son (age 20)

I am 46 and have CF. I too have had mostly sinus issue. (15 sinus surgeries). In the last 20 months I've had 3 of the 15 surgeries and during the first one I contracted MRSA. It gets better with antibiotics but once I'm off it hits me pretty hard again. It has been ongoing since I got it. I don't really see any side effects of the drugs but they it's a pain to continually be put back on them. Best advice I can give is not to let MRSA go too long because it can hit pretty hard. (Had to do 2 weeks in the hospital in October because my FEV went down to 43%).

<br />Daveyboy209, Male 46 with CF, MRSA, ABPA, married with one son (age 20)

Tatsisdad

My daughter is 5 yo and has been culturing MRSA since she was about 2 monthes old. She had been in the hospital from birth till the time she cultured it, she caught it from dirty medical staff hands, eqiupment who knows..We love the fact the everyone has to gown and glove when they come in her room. We feel it gives her another level of protection from other bugs that may be on the hospital floor. We also used to get frustrated with the way they would treat our daughter because of the MRSA but we changed our thinking and like I said like the fact everyone gowns and gloves.

As far as the treatment our doctors don't treat just with the positive culture. We wait until ther are other signs low grade fever, increase cough, ect. We contact the doctors immediately and she usually goes on a 21 day course of Septra. She has been put on Vyvox twice and she responds well to that too. She usually is on antibiotics every other month for the MRSA.

I really want you to not feel bad about the way they treat your child when hospitalized with the MRSA, try to think of it as another level of protection for your child, its a good thing.

Tatsisdad

My daughter is 5 yo and has been culturing MRSA since she was about 2 monthes old. She had been in the hospital from birth till the time she cultured it, she caught it from dirty medical staff hands, eqiupment who knows..We love the fact the everyone has to gown and glove when they come in her room. We feel it gives her another level of protection from other bugs that may be on the hospital floor. We also used to get frustrated with the way they would treat our daughter because of the MRSA but we changed our thinking and like I said like the fact everyone gowns and gloves.

As far as the treatment our doctors don't treat just with the positive culture. We wait until ther are other signs low grade fever, increase cough, ect. We contact the doctors immediately and she usually goes on a 21 day course of Septra. She has been put on Vyvox twice and she responds well to that too. She usually is on antibiotics every other month for the MRSA.

I really want you to not feel bad about the way they treat your child when hospitalized with the MRSA, try to think of it as another level of protection for your child, its a good thing.

Tatsisdad

Tatsisdad

Tatsisdad

<br />
<br />As far as the treatment our doctors don't treat just with the positive culture. We wait until ther are other signs low grade fever, increase cough, ect. We contact the doctors immediately and she usually goes on a 21 day course of Septra. She has been put on Vyvox twice and she responds well to that too. She usually is on antibiotics every other month for the MRSA.
<br />
<br />I really want you to not feel bad about the way they treat your child when hospitalized with the MRSA, try to think of it as another level of protection for your child, its a good thing.

shea14

My son is 5 and had MRSA for about 2 and a half years. We recently "got rid" of it and I have been giving him allicin (an extract from garlic) which has recently came to light as a MRSA killer to keep it at bay (hopefully). So far so good!!!! I'm always afraid of what all these antibiotics are doing to him and to his immune system. I hated it because when people he had MRSA they treatede him like a leapor. We even were kicked off of an airpane and he had a mask on!! Plus it just wore him out. He was getting worse and worse with the MRSA with his hospitalizations closer and closer together. I thought the antibiotics were no longer working and suddenly it was gone!!!! So I am learning that I cannot assume anything about his CF because the least likely thing always happens.

shea14

My son is 5 and had MRSA for about 2 and a half years. We recently "got rid" of it and I have been giving him allicin (an extract from garlic) which has recently came to light as a MRSA killer to keep it at bay (hopefully). So far so good!!!! I'm always afraid of what all these antibiotics are doing to him and to his immune system. I hated it because when people he had MRSA they treatede him like a leapor. We even were kicked off of an airpane and he had a mask on!! Plus it just wore him out. He was getting worse and worse with the MRSA with his hospitalizations closer and closer together. I thought the antibiotics were no longer working and suddenly it was gone!!!! So I am learning that I cannot assume anything about his CF because the least likely thing always happens.

shea14

shea14

shea14