Who knows?

Transplantmommy

In every place that I have worked...eventually everyone knew if I told them or not. At my last job, I did not let them in on it until after I was hired...I didn't want that to be the factor as to if I was hired or not. After I was there for a few weeks, I told my supervisor because I had an appointment coming up, I then also told a couple of the people who were also under my supervisor because I had to fill in for them here and there.

When I found out that I needed the transplants....everyone at work knew what was going on and they even pitched in and helped raise money for traveling expenses and medical bills. In the end, I really don't care who knows that I have CF and what has happened to me. In my experience most people are amazed and inspired at the strength that I have!!

Transplantmommy

In every place that I have worked...eventually everyone knew if I told them or not. At my last job, I did not let them in on it until after I was hired...I didn't want that to be the factor as to if I was hired or not. After I was there for a few weeks, I told my supervisor because I had an appointment coming up, I then also told a couple of the people who were also under my supervisor because I had to fill in for them here and there.

When I found out that I needed the transplants....everyone at work knew what was going on and they even pitched in and helped raise money for traveling expenses and medical bills. In the end, I really don't care who knows that I have CF and what has happened to me. In my experience most people are amazed and inspired at the strength that I have!!

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

Transplantmommy

<br />
<br />When I found out that I needed the transplants....everyone at work knew what was going on and they even pitched in and helped raise money for traveling expenses and medical bills. In the end, I really don't care who knows that I have CF and what has happened to me. In my experience most people are amazed and inspired at the strength that I have!!

NYCLawGirl

I work in a law firm, which means I have about 200 "bosses" (i.e., all the associates more senior than I and all the partners). I have pretty much told people I work with on an as-needed basis, but I definitely find it easier to be honest rather than not. For one thing, I DO cough, and about 3 months into my job I found myself faced with questions like "wow, hoe long have you had that cold anyway?" At that point, it was about 100% times easier to just calmly explain that the cough is chronic than it would have been to lie. I also hate lying about my CF - frankly I'm rather proud that I made where I am even despite extra challenges - so I'm pre-disposed to be honest about it.

As for explaining the seriousness or ramifications of the disease, that I choose not to do at work. I assume people google it, and then some come back and ask me questions (if they're comfortable with it) and others just leave well-enough alone. I show up for work virtually every day and do my job well, so I really think that's all my office needs to know, aside from the fact that I always tell in advance when I have medical appts. So my bosses know that I miss some work time due to illness or doctors, but they do not know, for example, that I'm considering transplant. That's a discussion for a later time.

NYCLawGirl

I work in a law firm, which means I have about 200 "bosses" (i.e., all the associates more senior than I and all the partners). I have pretty much told people I work with on an as-needed basis, but I definitely find it easier to be honest rather than not. For one thing, I DO cough, and about 3 months into my job I found myself faced with questions like "wow, hoe long have you had that cold anyway?" At that point, it was about 100% times easier to just calmly explain that the cough is chronic than it would have been to lie. I also hate lying about my CF - frankly I'm rather proud that I made where I am even despite extra challenges - so I'm pre-disposed to be honest about it.

As for explaining the seriousness or ramifications of the disease, that I choose not to do at work. I assume people google it, and then some come back and ask me questions (if they're comfortable with it) and others just leave well-enough alone. I show up for work virtually every day and do my job well, so I really think that's all my office needs to know, aside from the fact that I always tell in advance when I have medical appts. So my bosses know that I miss some work time due to illness or doctors, but they do not know, for example, that I'm considering transplant. That's a discussion for a later time.

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

<br />
<br />As for explaining the seriousness or ramifications of the disease, that I choose not to do at work. I assume people google it, and then some come back and ask me questions (if they're comfortable with it) and others just leave well-enough alone. I show up for work virtually every day and do my job well, so I really think that's all my office needs to know, aside from the fact that I always tell in advance when I have medical appts. So my bosses know that I miss some work time due to illness or doctors, but they do not know, for example, that I'm considering transplant. That's a discussion for a later time.