Why do I have bad lungs Mommy?

M

Mommafirst

My 4 year old has CF, its never been a big reveal. CF is just a part of our life. "<i>When will I not have to do this vest everyday, Mommy</i>?" "We do the vest everyday to keep you healthy. Your lungs need a little extra help because you have CF. Hopefully someday there will be better medicines or a cure so that you won't have to do it anymore." "<i>Do I have to take my pills today, mommy</i>?" "Yes, you do, we dont' want your belly to hurt, kids who have CF have more trouble digesting food. I want you to feel good" "<i>Will I always have this button in my belly that my brothers don't have?</i>?" "I don't think so. Cystic Fibrosis makes it hard for your body to gain weight sometimes, so we are just helping you grow bigger and stronger with extra milk while you sleep. Hopefully, once you are bigger we can get rid of the button."

My point is that CF is a part of her life. Its part of my answers to everyday normal questions. I don't cry over it, I don't make it a huge deal, it just part of who she is.

M

Mommafirst

My 4 year old has CF, its never been a big reveal. CF is just a part of our life. "<i>When will I not have to do this vest everyday, Mommy</i>?" "We do the vest everyday to keep you healthy. Your lungs need a little extra help because you have CF. Hopefully someday there will be better medicines or a cure so that you won't have to do it anymore." "<i>Do I have to take my pills today, mommy</i>?" "Yes, you do, we dont' want your belly to hurt, kids who have CF have more trouble digesting food. I want you to feel good" "<i>Will I always have this button in my belly that my brothers don't have?</i>?" "I don't think so. Cystic Fibrosis makes it hard for your body to gain weight sometimes, so we are just helping you grow bigger and stronger with extra milk while you sleep. Hopefully, once you are bigger we can get rid of the button."

My point is that CF is a part of her life. Its part of my answers to everyday normal questions. I don't cry over it, I don't make it a huge deal, it just part of who she is.

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

M

Mommafirst

<br />
<br />My point is that CF is a part of her life. Its part of my answers to everyday normal questions. I don't cry over it, I don't make it a huge deal, it just part of who she is.

NYCLawGirl

i had a friend with CF die when i was young - probably at around 6 or so. she was older, and i had met her through a cff event that she had always worked. as she got sicker, the cff brought in another younger child to help with the fundraising. i was that child. cross infection rules weren't that strict in those days and so i knew her...not super well bu ti did know her. i also happened to live next door to a young girl exactly my age who also had cf, and then later her younger sister with cf. so the three of us younger cfers started working this national fundraiser event and right afterward the older girl (around 16 or so) died. after that, i distinctly remember asking my parents not just "why do i have to do treatments?' but the far scarier "will i die from this disease?" question.

my parents were open and honest but not harsh. like amy's mom they used the term cf in a very normal manner, encouraged me to do treatments in front of friends, and, like christian's mom, they never let me out of any chores, etc. b/c i was "sick." but when i asked the question point blank, i got the response of "well, right now many people die of cf, like your friend mary [name changed here] b/c there is no cure. we are working very hard to find a cure, though, and we're going to do our best to make sure you live a long and healthy life." and that was pretty much it. i got the same answer pretty much every time, and when i turned 12 i found a copy of "alex: the life of a child" in my parents' library and they told me i could read it at that point, b/c i was older, and then we had a frank discussion about alex's life and how lucky i was to live in a time when there were more meds, etc. but my parents encouraged me to be open and sad about it when friends with cf got sick or died. they didn't want me to hold that in or not talk about it. they also NEVER used scare tactics, never said "you will die if..." or "you will go to the hospital if...", just as they never made it seem like it was any of my friend's faults that some of them were sicker than i was.

in other words, my family talked about cf any time it came up. they were really open, even about the "scary stuff" (to a reasonable point -- you'll notice they had hidden "alex" and i didn't find it until 12). they tried to teach me the importance of staying healthy without teaching me that getting sick would somehow be "my fault." and they answered all my questions. but at the same time if anyone asked erin (my non-cf sister) where she wanted to go to college or what she wanted to be when she grew up, my parents made darn sure i was asked as well. because as far as they were concerned, we were planning for a future. thank god for that, too, b/c now i have a degree and a fantastic life that i absolutely love.

i second christian: totally admire you all for having such a hard job!

NYCLawGirl

i had a friend with CF die when i was young - probably at around 6 or so. she was older, and i had met her through a cff event that she had always worked. as she got sicker, the cff brought in another younger child to help with the fundraising. i was that child. cross infection rules weren't that strict in those days and so i knew her...not super well bu ti did know her. i also happened to live next door to a young girl exactly my age who also had cf, and then later her younger sister with cf. so the three of us younger cfers started working this national fundraiser event and right afterward the older girl (around 16 or so) died. after that, i distinctly remember asking my parents not just "why do i have to do treatments?' but the far scarier "will i die from this disease?" question.

my parents were open and honest but not harsh. like amy's mom they used the term cf in a very normal manner, encouraged me to do treatments in front of friends, and, like christian's mom, they never let me out of any chores, etc. b/c i was "sick." but when i asked the question point blank, i got the response of "well, right now many people die of cf, like your friend mary [name changed here] b/c there is no cure. we are working very hard to find a cure, though, and we're going to do our best to make sure you live a long and healthy life." and that was pretty much it. i got the same answer pretty much every time, and when i turned 12 i found a copy of "alex: the life of a child" in my parents' library and they told me i could read it at that point, b/c i was older, and then we had a frank discussion about alex's life and how lucky i was to live in a time when there were more meds, etc. but my parents encouraged me to be open and sad about it when friends with cf got sick or died. they didn't want me to hold that in or not talk about it. they also NEVER used scare tactics, never said "you will die if..." or "you will go to the hospital if...", just as they never made it seem like it was any of my friend's faults that some of them were sicker than i was.

in other words, my family talked about cf any time it came up. they were really open, even about the "scary stuff" (to a reasonable point -- you'll notice they had hidden "alex" and i didn't find it until 12). they tried to teach me the importance of staying healthy without teaching me that getting sick would somehow be "my fault." and they answered all my questions. but at the same time if anyone asked erin (my non-cf sister) where she wanted to go to college or what she wanted to be when she grew up, my parents made darn sure i was asked as well. because as far as they were concerned, we were planning for a future. thank god for that, too, b/c now i have a degree and a fantastic life that i absolutely love.

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

<br />
<br />my parents were open and honest but not harsh. like amy's mom they used the term cf in a very normal manner, encouraged me to do treatments in front of friends, and, like christian's mom, they never let me out of any chores, etc. b/c i was "sick." but when i asked the question point blank, i got the response of "well, right now many people die of cf, like your friend mary [name changed here] b/c there is no cure. we are working very hard to find a cure, though, and we're going to do our best to make sure you live a long and healthy life." and that was pretty much it. i got the same answer pretty much every time, and when i turned 12 i found a copy of "alex: the life of a child" in my parents' library and they told me i could read it at that point, b/c i was older, and then we had a frank discussion about alex's life and how lucky i was to live in a time when there were more meds, etc. but my parents encouraged me to be open and sad about it when friends with cf got sick or died. they didn't want me to hold that in or not talk about it. they also NEVER used scare tactics, never said "you will die if..." or "you will go to the hospital if...", just as they never made it seem like it was any of my friend's faults that some of them were sicker than i was.
<br />
<br />in other words, my family talked about cf any time it came up. they were really open, even about the "scary stuff" (to a reasonable point -- you'll notice they had hidden "alex" and i didn't find it until 12). they tried to teach me the importance of staying healthy without teaching me that getting sick would somehow be "my fault." and they answered all my questions. but at the same time if anyone asked erin (my non-cf sister) where she wanted to go to college or what she wanted to be when she grew up, my parents made darn sure i was asked as well. because as far as they were concerned, we were planning for a future. thank god for that, too, b/c now i have a degree and a fantastic life that i absolutely love.
<br />
<br />i second christian: totally admire you all for having such a hard job!

hmw

When I said to talk about it in a matter of fact way, I didn't mean in a 'cold hard facts' way... I do think there's a difference. We do have to be age-appropriate. But being matter of fact (explaining why we do what we do, just like there are simple (and non-negotiable) reasons for brushing our teeth, bathing, etc) is important, I think when they ask why do I take my enzymes, why do I have to do my vest, can I go to bed and do my vest tomorrow, etc. I am starting to get those questions more and more with Emily and simple direct answers work best; both because of her dev. capabilities and to avoid arguments/avoid her thinking there is a window of choice there.

Emily hasn't asked any questions dealing with the 'prognosis' aspect of cf. But my 7th grader has, and we aren't yet sure of his status (the unsure part in itself is very stressful for him.) He's read about the disease- information we received from our clinic; including a child's book that brought up the topic of death as well as parent material he asked me if he could read- but also learned about it at school in a genetics unit in science class.

It was described in a movie they saw a 'fatal disease', etc (along with other health conditions but cf was featured as a prominent example due to it being such a common genetic illness.) This was not easy for him to hear but... imagine how much worse that could have been if he went into that cold with NO knowledge of the 'uncomfortable facts' about cf. It would have been extremely traumatic.

hmw

When I said to talk about it in a matter of fact way, I didn't mean in a 'cold hard facts' way... I do think there's a difference. We do have to be age-appropriate. But being matter of fact (explaining why we do what we do, just like there are simple (and non-negotiable) reasons for brushing our teeth, bathing, etc) is important, I think when they ask why do I take my enzymes, why do I have to do my vest, can I go to bed and do my vest tomorrow, etc. I am starting to get those questions more and more with Emily and simple direct answers work best; both because of her dev. capabilities and to avoid arguments/avoid her thinking there is a window of choice there.

Emily hasn't asked any questions dealing with the 'prognosis' aspect of cf. But my 7th grader has, and we aren't yet sure of his status (the unsure part in itself is very stressful for him.) He's read about the disease- information we received from our clinic; including a child's book that brought up the topic of death as well as parent material he asked me if he could read- but also learned about it at school in a genetics unit in science class.

It was described in a movie they saw a 'fatal disease', etc (along with other health conditions but cf was featured as a prominent example due to it being such a common genetic illness.) This was not easy for him to hear but... imagine how much worse that could have been if he went into that cold with NO knowledge of the 'uncomfortable facts' about cf. It would have been extremely traumatic.

hmw

hmw

hmw

<br />
<br />Emily hasn't asked any questions dealing with the 'prognosis' aspect of cf. But my 7th grader has, and we aren't yet sure of his status (the unsure part in itself is very stressful for him.) He's read about the disease- information we received from our clinic; including a child's book that brought up the topic of death as well as parent material he asked me if he could read- but also learned about it at school in a genetics unit in science class.
<br />
<br />It was described in a movie they saw a 'fatal disease', etc (along with other health conditions but cf was featured as a prominent example due to it being such a common genetic illness.) This was not easy for him to hear but... imagine how much worse that could have been if he went into that cold with NO knowledge of the 'uncomfortable facts' about cf. It would have been extremely traumatic.

sullihs

My son was almost 4 when he was diagnosed. One thing that did help was a basic "body" book (from Scholastic, I think) since we sometimes forget that kids that age don't even know what lungs are.

sullihs

My son was almost 4 when he was diagnosed. One thing that did help was a basic "body" book (from Scholastic, I think) since we sometimes forget that kids that age don't even know what lungs are.

sullihs

sullihs

sullihs